I need your help ya'll picking a breed of dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww...your puppy is adorable.
default_wub.png
Mutts make the best dogs out and runts always seem to turn out to be the best one in the litter.
default_rolleyes.gif
We have a lab X jack russell, which we found as a rescue wondering as a 6-8 week old pup. She is the absolute best.
default_wub.png
She is also the first "mutt" we have ever owned. We raised Great Danes and German Shepherds for years, all were great dogs. Mutts are my first choice, especially if thru a rescue or human society..My 2nd best would have to be a toss up between the Great Danes and German Shepherds, and I do see another German Shepherd pup joining our family soon....if hubby and myself can agree on a color. I want a solid black one just like our Shado, who we lost 1 year ago this month.

Your new little pup is so precious!
default_wub.png

I love that you are open to getting a dog with even some pit in him, they are not for everyone but I LOVE them and wouldn't trade my American Pit Bull Terriers for anything
default_wub.png

I have one that looks a bit like your little guy too. This is my boy Crash (UAG-II, UWP, GRCH 'PR' Ravenloft's The Infernal Machine TT CGC, CL2-R)
default_biggrin.png

Crash_over_big_1_14_07.jpg

and his grandma, our 11 year old Pazazz who also is marked a bit like your little guy, she just loves our new little girl Peyton
default_wub.png

Pazazz_Peyton_7_08.jpg

Congrats and keep us updated on how he grows!

Oh what a CUTIE!!!
default_wub.png
Good luck with your new baby Christina......I'm sure he will be just a love bug!

Well our first night together went smoothly. He slept in his crate with no problems. Its a fairly large crate, so he had plenty of room for his bed, and his food/water and a place to go potty on the other side. He was so happy to come out of there this morning. I put his leash on and took him out to see the horses, and get him to go potty outside since he had just woke up.

And he did! And he is such a good boy outside. He follows me around everywhere, and he was very curious about the horses (they were of him too) and even with all the distractions he stays right by my side and he doesn't bark or growl at anything. He acts like he was raised on a farm already lol. He is even very friendly towards the cats outside, altho I have to guard him from them because one of our older cats has attacked dogs in the past, including a friends small dog and the neighbors German shepard
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif
!

I am in love with this little guy, he plays fetch already, and loves his toys. And already know to come, sit and stay and lay down. He is still yet to be named, but I have a few choices for him.

Here are a few more pics from yesterday:

278171.JPG

278172.JPG

That's great, although I would not let him "go" in the crate...bad habit to break. You need to block off that crate smaller so he will not go in it, I also would not feed him in it. With him being so young, you will need to take him for lots of potty breaks, he can probably only hold it for 4 hrs top.

That's great, although I would not let him "go" in the crate...bad habit to break. You need to block off that crate smaller so he will not go in it, I also would not feed him in it. With him being so young, you will need to take him for lots of potty breaks, he can probably only hold it for 4 hrs top.

I agree, for crate-training it's best if the crate is just big enough for them to lie down and turn around. Keeping water in it is good but not feeding them in it, and taking the puppy out regularly so that he learns to go potty where you want him to go, and not just where he feels like going. My rescue pup hasn't had a single accident in the house in the month-plus I've had her.
default_smile.png
It did get old taking her outside so often, but now I don't have to take her out nearly so much, we've got a routine in place and I know when she is likely to have to "go", and she can hold it for longer now too.

Your boy is SO CUTE!!!
default_wub.png

Your puppy is ADORABLE!! I want to (((HUG))) him right up!!

Whats his name??

You did great and definently crate train. They will see their crate as security.. Our Chow Bryson is just 2 in June and he still gets in his crate. We took the door off so he goes in when he wants and sleeps in there. He doesnt NEED to be in his crate anymore-he runs the house but we keep it for his security...

Have fun with your new baby...

Missy

Latest posts

Back