I need to rent a truck for towing a horse trailer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
We are picking up our driving geldings and we wanted to rent a truck but it needs to have a hitsh? ANy suggestions?? We have a pick up truck but I would rather rent a truck and save the miles on our truck. We tried Enteprise, Budget, Avis.

U-Haul used to rent pick up trucks. Don't know if they still do or not, but you might want to try them.

I was also going to say U-Haul.

Maybe you can rent a truck/van there with a hitch. We did that moving across country and we had to pull a trailer with our car on it.

U-Haul truck pulling a trailer is what we did. So I know they have hitches.

Just from my experience, and having a family member who works for a car rental company, any car rental company states that you are not allowed to do any towing with their vehicles. With that said, I don't know about pick ups, but the larger SUVs like the Durangos come standard with a hitch and a standard plug (has the simple in line plug for vehicles without brakes and the standard round plug for horse trailers with brakes). Most car rental companies do have durangos for rent.

Carolyn

Hi

It is my understanding that the car rental places do not want you to pull a trailer with their vehicles. Some do rent trucks, but you would have to add the hitch yourself I bet. UHaul has hitches they sell and install for about 120 +/-. Rental places used to rent trucks though that had towing packages on them, I was using one in 1999 (rental) when one of my trucks was down for repairs. I pulled a trailer and hauled horses then.

Perhaps it would be more cost effective to have the geldings hauled by someone? How far is it that you have to go? Hope you get this figured out........best of luck to you.

Beth

Years ago when I had horses and only a car, a couple of times I had to rent a Uhaul truck to pull a horse trailer with. Also happened due to moving when my husband got out of the military and there just were too many things to be pulled and driven.

You can rent either the smallest or the midsize moving truck and it will have a 2" hitch ball on it. They are set up for pulling because people often rent them and a trailer to pull their car behind it. They do allow you to pull a trailer with them, and they do sell a lighting converter so you can hook to the standard lighting of the trailer.

With that said, I suggest the driver be someone who is accustomed to driving large vehicles AND to driving totally with their mirrors. The big downside to doing it this way is that when your vehicle is wider than your trailer it is very hard to judge the distance of the trailer when passing. My husband is a truck driver and has no problem driving and backing a semi trailer, but he finds it MUCH more frustrating to drive a vehicle that is wider than the trailer being towed due to lack of visibility. But yes, you can definitely do it that way.

Latest posts

Back