I need some parenting help...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+I don't have children but have delt with many,. as everyone else has said..if they wont eat it let them go hungry and DONT' give in and let them have snacks and treats inbetween. they will get hungry and they WILL eat.

Secondly i agree with the "quiet" time. I was one of those type of kids that hated naps.. still do for the most part BUT here's what my mom did. She had a lock on our bedroom doors and the bedrooms didn't have any toys. she expected us to be quiet and of course having the lock on the door she knew we were safe and couldn't get out and into trouble while she wasn't watching (which also would give YOU as a mom some personal quiet time). Without having toys in there you get pretty bored and doze off usually. it's expected to be "quiet" time..you didn't HAVE to nap although boredom usually ended up making you nap! lol

I would try the quiet time as suggested in his bedroom with no or very few toys and see what happens.

your not a bad mom you just need to make boundarys clear and as everyone else said allowing them to make "Choices' is a good way but only allow the "healthy" choices no matter what the choices you offer are.

His naptime is quiet time- no "toys" aside from his usual bedtime stuffed animals - which usually end up shoved in a corner. He's put up there for an hour, at which point- if he's not asleep, we bring him down again. For the most part he just sits up there jabbering and bouncing or kicking. We had the radio on up there all the time, but other than that, it's... well, our (all three of us's) bedroom. Not much to do or look at!

Amusingly, one of the stuffed animals is a floppy dog that's bigger then Nathan. At night, he uses it as a blanket LOL He has always, from day one, hated having his feet covered, so blankets are hit or miss with him. I know when he's older he'll appreciate them... right now they mean bed time!

First off, hang in there! Being a parent isn't easy and we deserve lots of
default_aktion033.gif
for doing our best. This is going to sound harsh but serve him what you want him to eat. If he doesn't, try again at the next meal. If he's hungry enough he will eat. You can't give in to his wants, not even once, or he will test your limits forever. Any progress you make to this point will be gone and you will start from scratch. I used to teach preschoolers and I was always being told by parents that their kids ate, acted, etc. better at school with me than home. At the time I didn't believe it, now I understand that I had set rules, they knew it and acted accordingly. Your the parent, set the rules. I have young teens now and if I hadn't set the rules long ago they would be driving me nuts now. You can do it!

chico

His naptime is quiet time- no "toys" aside from his usual bedtime stuffed animals - which usually end up shoved in a corner. He's put up there for an hour, at which point- if he's not asleep, we bring him down again. For the most part he just sits up there jabbering and bouncing or kicking. We had the radio on up there all the time, but other than that, it's... well, our (all three of us's) bedroom. Not much to do or look at!

Amusingly, one of the stuffed animals is a floppy dog that's bigger then Nathan. At night, he uses it as a blanket LOL He has always, from day one, hated having his feet covered, so blankets are hit or miss with him. I know when he's older he'll appreciate them... right now they mean bed time!
What music do you have on the radio when he goes down for nap/quiet time? You could also try patting or rubbing his back or caressing the side of his face and just over his eyebrows. That's really hard for them to fight. Is the bedroom dark or well lit?

Amanda

Ok this stroll down memory lane is killing me
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif

Now I'm crying.......

I didn't know how
default_aktion033.gif
to play sink the cheerios!!!!!!! hehe Good one!

I didn't read all the replies, but know you got good advice.

As a mother of 3, youngest a 3 yr old boy is this.

Say No and mean it......it isn't easy! At first it is sooooooooooooo much easier to say OK:) But they get the message pretty quick!

Don't have rubbish foods in your house.

I don't buy junk food or should I say I don't stock it in the house.

If I buy my kids candy, and I do, we all enjoy it but it isn't normally in our home.

I try to feed whole grain, healthy foods, lots of fruit etc

I find if I wash grapes and cut up cantalope melon, strawberries etc put them on the table the kids snack on them.

I am far from a perfect parent! It is really hard work BUT enforcing that what you say is what you mean is very valuable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My kids do know I mean NO when I say it!

Even when they ask the same Q 20 times
default_wacko.png

Don't stress too much, takes much more than goldfish and strawberry milk for b'fast, lunch and dinner to mess a kid up
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

I am sure you are doing great, just tweak things a little
default_wink.png

Back