I need some more help,question about goats.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCaseFamily00

Reaction score
Awhile back I took in a bunch of animals(2 goats,1 big horse,1mini horse and a cat) for friends who were fighting cancer. The animals are all doing great! I got a phone call from another friend who said that a pygmy goat was tied and left in someones yard and asked if we could take it. My question is can a pygmy do ok with 2 regular sized goats?Of course the pygmy isn't fixed either so I will have to have that taken care of. I don't know his age or anything other than he's very friendly.Any advice or input would be great
default_yes.gif

They should do just fine together. My aunt has all sizes together, dairy goats down to baby fainters.

The goats should be just fine together. We have pygmies, fainters and crosses that are much bigger together (including a suffolk sheep whether!) and they all get along fine. Just fix the boys and all should be well!

She jumped the fence as soon as I left the lot last night, she's already bonded with me
default_wub.png
, I had to put her in the big outdoor dog kennel,it has a 8x8 building attached. We only use this if we go on vacation.Any tricks to keep them in when they jump like this? My 2 big goats have never even considered this.She's still in a way better situation but is this fair? The kennel and building is in the minis dry lot so they're around her for company.

When a goat learns to jump out, there isn't a whole lot you can do to stop them. Sometimes running a strand of electric across the top will work, or they learn to jump higher.
default_wink.png
If she is jumping off of something, move everything away from the fence line. If the bigger goats push her around at first like they will do until the herd order is restored she will also be more likely to jump out. If you can put them together in a place she can't get away, she might make friends and be more willing to stay put, but no guarantees!

Back