I need some advice,please .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelsey

Reaction score
I only have one Jenny . A friend of mine gave her to me to keep my filly company. I love her to pieces . She was the sweetest thing . She was really skittish when i first got her . Because she had never been messed with. But didn't take her long to come around . It also didn't take her long to find her job so to speak . She started out guarding the filly because it was just the 2 of them in a lot together . No problem ,she just didn't want any animal in there lot. fine.

Now she is in the pasture with everyone . She started out just dogs . not even letting my own in there . But thats ok. Then it went to cows . They are not in there but if they even get close to the fence she will go after them ! Then it was the kids! She won't let my kids in there ! And they are in there almost as much as me!

Now today she got snotty with ME !!
ohmy.gif
Like she did not want ME in there ! So now i guess she will run me out next!

Please , what can i do ? I love her . I don't want to get rid of her . She is my baby. Maybe that is the problem . I have spoiled her . And she thinks she is the boss . But look at her she is so cute
wub.gif
how could you not spoil her! When my hubby finds out she is running everyone out of the pasture he will try to make me get rid of her . He will say" i told you Donkeys get mean." If i can keep the kids quiet about it i will be ok
rolleyes.gif
This is a older picture taken in march . shes a little bigger now.

jackie.jpg

When I first got Priscilla she was 7 months old and at 14 months has finally setteled into the sweetheart I know she is
smile.gif
There were a few times I thought she'd have to go...How old is your girl? Is she trained to lead etc? I bought a great DVD on donkey training which really helped me and my friend (who has a yearling Jack) they are so different than horses
rolleyes.gif
I am sure someone here can help out - they are full of knowledge
yes.gif

I have two jennies. One has never let us handle her and the other is registered and is a sweetie. Thing is, the registered one has a jack foal that is wind and the unfriendly jennie has always had sweet babies, so go figure.

My registered jennie, though is the queen and she can get nasty if you don't pay attention to her, especially at feeding times. She won't let any other animal near. Not even her foal! (Even before we clipped him.)

Could she be in season? Maybe that would make her cranky. We have had to keep Cha Cha in her own paddock at times because she was so nasty. But where she came from she was always being bitten by a miniature horse she was pastured with.

She is a year and a half old . She has been broke to lead and stand for farrier. She does let me handle her . She is the first to come up to me .She only gets snotty when i turn to walk away from her. She has never been abused at all . I am good friends with the person i got her from . And he would never abuse anything . She and the horses get along good . No fighting , They seem to like her .

I don't think it would be because of her being in season . Because she has worked up to this behaver . Maybe i need to work with her one on one ? But i don't know how she would take being away from the horses .

I am at a loss here . Thank you both for the advice. And the hope .

Last edited by a moderator:
She does it because she doesn't want you to leave and she wants to be the Boss.

Don't let her get away with it.

M. Hodges has some good Donkey training Videos, and she is also on RFD TV.

Mine tries it once in awhile,, and I will just stomp my foot, use my hands and arms(without touching her) making her back up. But you have to be assertive.

While I can do this, I find it very hard to explain with writting,, being more of a show you in person,, person.

You might also try to find a Donkey breeder near where you live and see if they are willing to show you how to deal with that.

Donkeys are very smart, and can train a person fast!
rolleyes.gif

Shari , She has me trained , thats for sure !
wacko.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Meridith Hodges has alot of very good training tapes out and books. You can go to her web site (www.luckythreeranch.com) I am sure she has them listed on there too. Yoy need to let her know YOU are HER boss. Donkeys do not train like horses, donkeys are very keen on watching where your arm and hand level is. I would really suggest a good training video or book. But once you start with her training you cant give up..it takes donkeys a little longer to train, not because they are stubborn, but because they are curious. Corinne

Latest posts

Back