I need help...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluck

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if any one would know why this little guys hair from one eye down around his nose then back up to the other eye is different.. it is almost like nothing is there.. thank you
100_1444.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm171/l...wi/100_1432.jpg

I have had several do this and its always the white headed pinto's. Gossip girls was really bad as she was bare skin all the way around her head. My vet happened to be here doing a coggins and said it was from sun burn and then the hair falls out. I do also think it has something to do with shedding the foal coat as that usually starts on the head, but the white headed pinto's seem to burn easily and the hair completely falls out. we put sun screen on gossip girl and it grew right back in

I have had several do this and its always the white headed pinto's. Gossip girls was really bad as she was bare skin all the way around her head. My vet happened to be here doing a coggins and said it was from sun burn and then the hair falls out. I do also think it has something to do with shedding the foal coat as that usually starts on the head, but the white headed pinto's seem to burn easily and the hair completely falls out. we put sun screen on gossip girl and it grew right back in
thank you for posting but yesterday was the first day he had been outside.. so i can rule out sunburn.. sorry I should have added that he was born that way.. he was born on 8/17/08 and i thought at first that maybe he just didnt dry off there so the hair did not poof up yet.. but then that never happened.. how old are they when they start to shed there foal coat?? we have only had 4 colts born here and they all have had dark heads and normal hair.. thank you again for getting back to me..

I've never seen one born that way - looks kinda alien doesn't it?

I have a colt this year that has shed out that way but he's dark red and it looks almost like he's wearing a mask. I've never noticed it more in white horses.

Look forward to hearing some replies.

Im still not so sure gossip girls was sunburn but that was the vets theory. Thinking back she was not born that way but it did occur right after she was born. It almost looked like someone scalped her. The interesting thing is it was only on the side of her head that had no color around the eye. The other side has black and was not affected.

Just bumpin' it up.
default_smile.png

I would like to see other replies. That little cutie is interesting.

Good luck.

I've never seen one born that way - looks kinda alien doesn't it?
I have a colt this year that has shed out that way but he's dark red and it looks almost like he's wearing a mask. I've never noticed it more in white horses.

Look forward to hearing some replies.

LOL thats what we are calling him is our little alien baby..

hello.. as for hair there he does have a little bit just tiny little hairs..

Latest posts

Back