I need help with rehabbing a mini with elevated LDH

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nurselynne

Reaction score
Good Morning I first want to thank everyone for welcoming me to the group. I am very seriously considering taking on a mini who has had some health issues. He is very thin. I paid for a pre-purchase exam and find out everything looks good except his LDH level is very high. I am hoping it is just because he hasn't been getting enough high quality food and with some rest, his own stall, unlimited hay and some good grain he should be ok. Has anyone every dealt with this and has anyone ever used MilkThistle to help with liver abnormalities? I really appreciate any advise I can get on this because I want this little guy to thrive so badly but really don't want to agree to the 5hour drive to go get him if this condition is never going to be managable. He is a low man in the herd where he is now and I fear maybe he has been eating some weed or something that has caused the aliment.

Thanks and any ideas are more than welcome.

If I haven’t already said, welcome, nurselynne, welcome! :) That is wonderful you are considering a mini in need. So often they bloom into lovely companions.

This sounds manageable, correct diet, peaceful environment and exercise (walking/hiking) solve many issues. Hopefully some of the more experienced members will see your post and share their knowledge and insights.

I have a pony with elevated liver enzymes. He has a blockage in his bile duct causing hepatitis diagnosed via liver biopsy. It may have started when he went off his feed for a couple days due to a dental issue, or it may have been brewing and that tipped him over the edge. He had a course (8 weeks) of antibiotics and is on an every other day dose of SAM-E ( aka denosyl) as a supplement, which you may want to ask the vet about. I have a friend who used milk thistle in conjunction with antibiotics when her big horse had liver issues and it was effective. Are the rest of his liver values OK? I believe there are several different ones that indicate different things within the liver. My pony is doing so-so 6 months later. I had another pony years ago with elevated enzymes and she recovered 100%.
What does your vet think re: prognosis?
ETA: I personally would not pay for the mini, adopt or free I would consider it. Purchase, no.

Last edited:
Thank you, The rest of his levels are good just the elevated LDH. I spoke with the vet that examined him during the prepurchase exam. She is somewhat optimistic. I am driving 4hours to get him next Friday and if he if he doesn't start gaining once he settles in with us I will have my vet look at him. I will order the MilkThistle after I talk with the vet again. I thank you for the info and really hope I can get this boy on track to a healthy life.

Latest posts

Back