I need help with an eye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Don't know what is going on here with this rescue mare and my vet is at a loss as well. She has had conjunctivitis off and on since I got her about a month ago. Four days ago it went out of control. Am taking her in to the clinic tomorrow am. Dexamethazone reduced it for a couple days. Tried flushing tear ducts and antibiotics....has anyone had anything like this before?

S4300120-1.jpg

S4300127.jpg

Wow that looks bad!! ARe you sure she didnt injure it and its just a coincedence with the infection? Sending good thoughts

Sorry, have never seen anything like that but have a friend who had an eye problem with a goat and when all else failed, she put drops of white penicillen right into the eye.

Her goat recovered without incident.

Yup, looks like a cherry eye to me. You need to lay the horse down to get a better look at it. Personally, I would take them to the closest teaching university for an opthalomogist (sp?) to look at it.

We had a serious eye problem in a mare last year - didn't look quite like that
default_new_shocked.gif
but she did evidently have an allergy to one of the meds (different vet switched her to gentocin and her eye got markedly worse overnight). Just something else to consider.

Jan

Awww, that poor baby! Please keep us updated on her. She looks like she feels just miserable.
default_no.gif

It does look exactly like a cherry eye a dog can have! Poor bay!

OUCH!! I've never seen anything like that, but if you've already been working with your vet and it doesn't seem to be gettting better, I'd take her to see an opthalmologist. I once treated a corneal ulcer under my vet's direction for several weeks, and when I finally made the decision to see an opthalmologist, she changed the drugs and it was better within days. Hope your girl is feeling better soon.

Vet just left about an hour ago. The diagnosis is still some kind of insect induced reaction, the conjunctive tissue became so swollen it dried out, was likely getting rubbed or bumped and didn't have a chance to heal. May also be due to the partial facial paralysis, with possible scar tissue blocking normal drainage pathways. Anyway the eye is now sewn shut with four buttons, yes regular coat type buttons, holding it together. The idea is the pressure will reduce the swelling, the lid will protect it from injury and it was packed with antibiotic and Dexamethazone before it was closed. Nutmeg did not take the anesthesia well and is somewhat panicked by the lack of vision on that side.

Wishing you the best. Eye problems are no fun at all.

Peggy

I am hoping that now with it sewn shut that it will heal properly... Best wishes and please keep us updated on it...

Here is Nutmegs surgery, lots of swelling still but she seems to be adjusting to seeing on one side only. She is eating well and does not act like she is in a lot of pain but man it looks nasty! We made her a fly mask with a smooth, soft lining to keep her from getting the buttons caught on stuff. Send a prayer her way, her life has not been an easy one!

S4300145.jpg

S4300144.jpg

Latest posts

Back