I need advice............shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Is there any good way to give shots to youngsteres without them becoming scared of you?

My babies went from being pests to totally staying as far way from me as possible. Now I have to chase them

to give them their shots. Thank heavens not too many days left of this.

Makes me feel so awful, they don't trust me anymore.
default_no.gif

how are you giving them their shots now?? on two mares that i have they have never had shots before we got them and the one has some major trust issues, so what we so is one hold the halter and the other pinched a small layer of skin on the neck for a few seconds then when the shot is given the area is somwhat numb and they behave much better then they get a good scratch and we led them around a bit have them do a few basic things- back up , side pass, etc and they have done well with there shots ever since. hope this helps some.

If you have already given the shots and now they hate you, try giving treats when you go out and pet them. Then walk away. One of my mares was a really hard one to catch. I started haltering her at feeding time. When she was done with her grain and beet pulp I would take the halter off. I can now go out and pet her with out a halter or lead rope. They need to associate something good with you since you were a meanie and poked them with that icky sharp thing. Good luck!
default_wink.png

I never in my life had problems giving shots to horses, I had had a lot of practice and they never flinched. But with these little ones, I did okay last year, but man, for the last 9 months I have problems aspirating and then injecting and they rear and act terrible. Then I want to cry. I have had to pay my vet to give all the last vaccines and meds. I didn't have this much trouble with my mini goats! I know its me, and it makes me just want to jab straight in on the neck after pinching or hitting with the hand back, plunge and run.

What are you giving? Sounds like it's penicillin, since it sounds like they're getting shots for several days? If it's penicillin, I don't think there is a way--in my experience, all horses get tired of penicillin injections, and I know I sure hate giving them. That is why if it is at all possible to avoid, I DON'T give penicillin! For respiratory infections if I give anything at all it is an oral drug--Uniprim. If I must give something stronger then I use Excenel--4 or 5 days of shots, but it's a relatively small dose compared to penicillin. If I have to give penicillin then if the vet says it works okay I use the long acting variety, so that they don't get shots every day, just every 2nd day--anything that helps!! I haven't had to give the dreaded daily penicillin shots in many, many years now!

Most of my youngsters don't take exception to the ordinary vaccines. One filly the one year did really get offended by her first spring shot--she was a total pet and after she had her first shot she started acting like I was a horrible monster that was out to kill her, and she wouldn't let me near her! Even bribing her with oats didn't help--she'd take the oats but then the next time she saw me she acted like she was terrified of me again. Then I went out with the cordless clippers & started clipping her buddy. When she saw what I was doing Misty knew that was harmless--Misty likes to be clipped, so she came over & pushed in for her turn! From there she was okay again, and when the time came to give her the 2nd doses of vaccines she took it much better than the first time around.

In any case, if you're having to give daily shots right now you're likely going to have to just catch the little ones any way you can & give them their medication, and once you're finished go back to regaining their trust.

Give butt shots-it is much easier.Have someone hold the foal's halter and have the foal pushed against a wall.You push your body against the foal and pick it up by the tail until feet just touch the floor.Give the shot about 3-4 inches below the rectum in the muscle.Get a chart or drawing or have vet show you.(hope I explained it well)Make sure the foal is turned out to run after shot.Not so much trauma to the foal and it is usually quick.Good luck.Not fun, but it has to be done.

Latest posts

Back