I may have gottedn fired from my job today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always said that you have to have four things to stay with a job...you have to like the work, like the pay, have input on things (some control), and like the people you work with. If you don't have all of these things you will evenutally leave. I also strongly believe that only I can make me look bad, no one else can. I am responsible for my own actions no matter what I think made me do whatever I did.

You and this employer need to respect one another and be respectful of each other at all times. I do hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
He totally overstepped the line. I would slap an "emotionally distressed and harassment lawsuit on him, maybe then he would learn to shut up! Sorry this happened.
default_no.gif

He knows what buttons to push on you to get you upset. Talk about an insecure person & not to mention totally unhappy person. Go in Monday...he thinks he got to you. Do not even give him that. You are a better person then him. Go back in and let them ALL know your NOT going anywhere and that if he continues HARRASSING YOU that you there are avenues to follow to put a stop to it. Let them know you are documenting everything he says and does to you...and DO document it all. If you quit you may be able to get your unemployment because of a hostile work place but you need to document. Been on both sides of this issue but go back on Monday!

Yep I agree
default_yes.gif

He knows what buttons to push on you to get you upset. Talk about an insecure person & not to mention totally unhappy person. Go in Monday...he thinks he got to you. Do not even give him that. You are a better person then him. Go back in and let them ALL know your NOT going anywhere and that if he continues HARRASSING YOU that you there are avenues to follow to put a stop to it. Let them know you are documenting everything he says and does to you...and DO document it all. If you quit you may be able to get your unemployment because of a hostile work place but you need to document. Been on both sides of this issue but go back on Monday!

If it was me I'd just let his words roll off my shoulder. He is just ignorant and I wouldn't even address it. I would never let any boss demean me, but he is your boss and basically he can do and say anything he likes (as long as it's not sexual in nature) let's face it, everyone is replaceable in this world. It is up to you to decide if his stupid words are enough to run you out of there or if you just ignore it.

You are lucky you were able to get time off to take care of your animals, a man I work with was denied time off when his father was dying of cancer. The doctor had given his father tops 48 hrs to live and was under hospice care. My boss denied this guys time off on the basis that there was someone taking care of his father (hospice) so he was not needed there. Unfortunately my boss has the right to make that decision even though he is not a doctor, and this is a govt job none the less. His father died 4 hrs after the conversation, so he was able to get the time off to attend the funeral. I also was given a hard time at work about taking three days off to take care of my mother after she had surgery to remove cancer from her lung. Unfortunately, we all need jobs and it's up to us to decide what we can deal with.

I am not saying a boss is allowed to say and do whatever he/she wants (especially dealing with sexual harrassment)...there is a fine line and only the the employee can decide when that line is crossed.

My opinion is still he didn't mean to be hurtful and just used a really poor choice words. On the other hand, if he is "just a jerk", does he honestly make you miserable enough to be out of a job?

My opinion is still he didn't mean to be hurtful and just used a really poor choice words. On the other hand, if he is "just a jerk", does he honestly make you miserable enough to be out of a job?
As I said in the prior post, he "Does" mean to be hurtful, if he didn't mean to be, he would not have re-phrased, his MO is to keep on saying hurtful things until you break...A person can only take so much, and you will break. The words he "choses" are meant to hurt or belittle you. He has even been in conversations that he will "pause" and say how do I say this? Say something hurtful and then laugh. I am the 4th Office Mgr. there in 7 yrs. The last one told me she could not take "him" anymore. I thought she meant he was demanding of the Off. Mgr. (she was kind of lazy). I was way off base. I have been there for three yrs. And he started after about 1 1/2 yrs on me. The sec. has gone out to her car and cried on several occasions. Her PICKS at her about her children. Does he make me miserable enough to be out of a job??? Jill....from what I read in your posts, you are a person that stands your ground when you believe that you are right in the situation. And WOULD NOT let anyone tell you different untill proven otherwise. And I can't see you letting ANYONE belittle/and say mean and hurtful things to you on purpose over and over again and because they said I was only joking, it would be okay with you. He has proven time and time again that he is a "an insensitive jerk" and is not going to change. I have talked to him till I am blue in the face. Tomorrow will be "my last talk" with him. I have a very good resume attached to me. I pride myself in this. Art and I have decided that it is time to look for other employment.

I do stand my ground and speak up for myself in all facets of my life. There's nothing wrong with doing so at all but you have to be willing to accept the consequences. For example, I might take more ______ from a client with $5M with me than one with $100K. It's just a matter of what it's worth to you, like anything else. If I needed the job, I do not think I would let someone who's a jerk drive me out because I still have a house to run, horses to take care of, etc. I didn't realize you were really ready to basically have your say and quit / be fired but if that's the case then go for it! I hope it all turns out well for you as I know you're a good and sincere person.

I think you have come to a good decision. It is very hard to work with someone that you don't respect and who doesn't respect you. If it doesn't happen now, it will only be a matter of time.

I hope you find a new job quickly. Believe me, and as another poster has mentioned, good jobs are hard to find in the current job market. I hope everything goes well.

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow, Theresa. You have had a difficult year and you don't deserve this type of treatment (no one does). I hope the three partners at your current firm come to realize what a huge liability that fourth partner is...they will one day soon be facing a lawsuit because of him.

Good jobs may be hard to come by but so are really good employees. Theresa, it sounds like you are an asset to your current company and would be an asset to another one. Good luck with your job search!
default_yes.gif

I'm sorry about the things that were said to you in a spiteful / hurtful way. It's been my experience that there may come a time in our life when we have to decide whether the paycheck we're getting is worth the emotional turmoil we go through to get it. Heaven knows you've had enough stress lately without someone you work with adding to it. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I hope everything goes well today!! I unfortunately worked for someone very similar a few years back. It was miserable. I tried to hang in there as long as I could but ultimately I had to leave.. My husband and kids all said I was just not myself while I worked there. The constant stress of working with someone like that was not worth it in the end and I left.

Anyone who would make remarks like that knows they what they are doing and it is to be mean and nasty

Theresa-

Hope all went well today.

Barbie

Back