I know this couldn't happen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
I went out to clean barns tonight. Like usual I set down to visit with my mares and pet them. Same as usual Jasmine is standing with her butt towards me so I grab her tail. YUCK! There is this icky sticky gooey stuff on the underside up kinda high. First reaction of course was what the heck is that. So check the vagina and it too has yucky stuff on it. She is in heat. So I decide to walk the fence. There are two nicely placed hoof prints pointing out away from the fence which has to be back feet. So I check the fence and don't see any wire pushed down. It is 2X4 horse type wire that is 3ft high. On both sides of this there are hot wires to keep them away.

Ok so wouldn't I see something not right with the fence. I mean would a stallion really put himself in a position to touch the hot wire and be able to hang thru a fence without leaving a trace?

I'm really hoping this is just something else I don't need this to happen right now.

Marie

I've had two "through the fence" foals.
default_smile.png
It happened at our old place, no hot wire on the run this particular stallion was in at the time but he sure got through a wire grid fence.

Jan

I had a friend whose mare (Paint) was bred through a 6 foot high CHAIN LINK fence. I don't even want to THINK how he got Mr Happy through THERE!
default_new_shocked.gif

Lucy

Yep had a 32 inch stallion breed a 32 inch mare through a 4ft tall "horse fence" with 2 X 4 openings.

He'd be right over the top of a 3ft fence no problem.

He was a bit "scraped" on a private tender spot which is why I knew for sure, (we weren't home at the time)

The mare foaled and the stallion didn't share a fenceline with a mare again, that wasn't bred

Anne

So I guess I will mark this date on my calendar and hope because she is 18yo hasn't been bred for 6yrs she won't take. I won't breed unless the foal has a guaranteed home to go to that will be a loving and caring home. There is nothing else I can do. I suspect that once he pushed the hot wire into the fence it would then short out and wah lah no spark. This is why I have the hotwire up there.

I have no other way of separating them than what I have done and it has worked well for years.

I really hope it is something else and not what I suspect. I have let this mare keep her last two foals. She will not be able to keep this one. This is Duckie and Kodas Dam and she doesn't believe in the concept of weaning them. So if next year you see me trying to find a home for a foal you will know why. I was very upset last night when I discovered this as I couldn't figure out what else it could possibly be.

Thanks everybody.

Marie

But Marie...

Maybe your daughter will want the baby. She was thinking of breeding Duckie wasn't she? This way you get to keep the driving horses going and maybe you will have a baby to look forward to. And you will find a nice home for the baby. People have all admired the Duck on here!

But Marie...

Maybe your daughter will want the baby. She was thinking of breeding Duckie wasn't she? This way you get to keep the driving horses going and maybe you will have a baby to look forward to. And you will find a nice home for the baby. People have all admired the Duck on here!

Oh yes my daughter would love to have the baby. But she doesn't need it she has Ariel and Duckie to drive already. We still need to get Koda Bear Tained and I don't have room to keep another one which is why I would breed to a guaranteed home only. I'm positive it would be absolutely driving quality as they all have been just don't have the room.

I could only keep it till weaned then it would have to pack its little bags and head down the road. I could however attach a cute sign saying my mommy doesn't want me any more.
default_laugh.png
Just kidding! shame they don't have thumbs for hitchhiking though.

If you don't want her bred, call the vet and get a lutalayze shot which you give 10 days after her heat cycle. It will just bring her back into heat and will flush out the egg that she had in the opsie heat cycle. It is not dangerous and is like a morning after pill. Even if she didn't get bred it would be Ok and is a good measure to stave off an unwanted pregnancy.

Here, a mare and a stallion only get to share a fenceline if I want that mare bred to that stallion ANYWAY. I am breeding one of my mares to my stallion next year and she is sharing a (6 foot high 6 pipe rail fence on the mare's side of the fence and a strand of electric rope just about reared up penis height on the stallion's side of the fence) fenceline with him right now so that he can let me know when she comes in and goes out of heat. I hand bred them already (and I only hand breed my horses), because I want to KNOW rather than to GUESS her due date next year.

Latest posts

Back