I know Nationals is a long way off but...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
Hello,

This will be my first time showing a black horse, much less she is a weanling (well come august she will be lol). She is solid black with 4 white feet and a mixed tail. The problem is she was clipped out when she was a month old, and she look good then, but is now a patchwork of funny colors at 2 months old. Her body has grown back nice and black, but her head, neck and mane are a brownish sunbleached color, and her legs are greyish above her white markings (her legs where clipped about 2 weeks later then her body, our blades gave out on me) She does not have grey in her at all, both parents are black pinto with no grey parents. We had one black filly do that to us last year (the grey on the legs), but she was not showing, so we didn't do anything about it.

Is there a certain way you clip black horses to have them be a nice jet black (or close to it) For example do I need to reclip her a few weeks before Nationals, and again so many days before?? Would it possible to enhance her color with like hair dye (I have no idea how to do that tho)

I am open to all ideas, she is beautiful little filly who is going to be a nice one in the futurity halter class (She is all of 25.5" tall at 2 months old) I just don't want the judge to see a patchwork of colors and not the horse.

Thanks,

Christina

Christina,

Yes, I would clip her again now and perhaps yet again before her actual show clip for nationals. (I don't remember when it falls since I'm not going.)

There are shampoos and/or conditioners on the market now that have sun screen in them. That may not be a bad idea, especially for your filly's mane and tail......

This may be a bit drastic for a weanling, but when we were showing a black horse, a number of years ago, we kept him out of direct sunlight during the height of the day to keep his mane and tail from bleaching out. Basically it meant not turning him outside between the hours of 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Wishing you all the best at the nationals!

Hi,

The pic on your site shows her color very well. I think it was just her baby fur was black, and shes starting to change into possibly silver ?? Shes gorgous anyway!

For the mane I would limit her time outside during the day, but your going to end up dying it so. Just make sure you condition her mane and tail so it doesnt get brittle
default_smile.png

You've got to keep her inside during the day, feed a supplement such as Black as Knight or BOSS, clip her a week out (they'll grow back fast in Sept), and I wash all of my horses with one version or another of Quic Color. For her I would use Quic Black. And Nationals IS NOT a long way off. It's closer than you think! good luck!

Hi,

The pic on your site shows her color very well. I think it was just her baby fur was black, and shes starting to change into possibly silver ?? Shes gorgous anyway!

For the mane I would limit her time outside during the day, but your going to end up dying it so. Just make sure you condition her mane and tail so it doesnt get brittle
default_smile.png

She doesn't carry silver. When she was born she was an almost blue roan color. I asked on here on the forum and everyone told me she was a black, and would more then likely clip out black, and she did
default_biggrin.png
. We thought she was silver too because she was so light when she was born, but hers sires breeder said she had also had some that color when they were born, but that they were black, but not "true" Blacks (I guess they would never be quite as black as they should?)

I am going to bathe and clip her today, and give the whole show day treatment. Will be good practice for her. So I should have some pics of her later today
default_saludando.gif

Oh here is a pic of her right after she was finished clipped. The lighter color patch on her nose is where she still has her lighter baby fuzz.

Eva4-411x365.jpg

Here she is when she was born, to show just how light she was:

584358_second_dance.JPG

Her tail has always been mixed. I think she got her dad's mixed tail

As a foal she looks silver to me, and now she looks like a dark bay when all clipped. She is the same color as my bay weanling filly well shes 3 months old but was a bay and when I clipped her she got darker (same color as yours) almost like a seal bay. But I am not all too good with miniature horse colors, but she doesnt look black to me. I have a black stallion and he is BLACK!

She doesn't look black to me in that picture but I'm no expert at all.

If she was a black, her muzzle would be black but in the picture it looks brown.

To me she appears a black bay or just a bay with black counter shading and that could be malato in her shoulders if its not sunbleaching.

I have two boys that are very similar to that coloration. But no matter, she is lovely and fancy and a knockout and I wish you much luck!

Latest posts

Back