I know I can't make it all right ----

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
But what if they just don't know? What if I think I know something that should be said but don't know if I have the right to say it. For instance, someone who lets their yrling in with a stallion after being warned, she knows the stud bred the filly and now is trying to sell it. Or I see a picture on the forum of a new baby and a tall water tank in there, it gives me the heeby jeebies, what if that baby fell in and got wedged. I use all low tanks for pens that have babies in it but that doesn't make it right, am I just being extra cautious foolishly? What if the baby would fall in and die and I hadn't mentioned it to the people posting the picture. What if the yrling is bred and sold to a unaware newcomer? A few wks ago, when a girl near me lost her mare do to a caught halter, I chose to keep quiet and now a little one died, maybe if I had posted on here and mentioned it, the owner of the colt would have seen it and took the halter off but I kept quiet. Do I keep my nose out of other peoples business and don't worry about it? I don't think I have the right to try to push my ideas off on other people and maybe I'm just to careful. When do you know when to say something and when do you keep quiet?

I think you should send them a PM.

I hope you would do that if you saw something that I did that may be dangerous.

Well, Marnie you know me!! I'll just keep saying it- please don't leave halters on, I'd rather spend two hours catching a horse, but have a horse to catch, etc. It in NO way means people will listen. Not so long ago we had a thread on just this and people I respect said they left halters on for specific reasons. I learned the lesson the hardest way!! The water tank- I don't know, I think a tall one they can't get in is less danger than a low one they can fall in and drown, so I think that would be a judgement call, dependant on the age, size of the foal and the height of the tank. The bred yearling?? I'd take out a full page spread in the local newspaper- SO LONG AS I HAD SEEN IT HAPPEN!!!!

I know what you mean, Marnie....but MOST people do not want advice....they have to learn it for themselves...the hard way.

It still doesn't remove the sting you feel when the horse suffers because of the human owner's pride....

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you say something or not. Some people you can talk to until your blue in the face but they still think they are in the right and won't listen to people with experience. They will continue no matter what.

If I was doing something that wasn't right, or dangerous, I would hope that someone would let me know, preferably in private, but I would still want them to let me know.

Marnie..there is soo many possiblities of freak accidents and if there is ONE little chance to avoid these..go for it..I also think it would be good in private ..

I think this board already helps..by people posting about what happened to them..we all can learn from mistakes already made by somebody..I believe there is NO way you can cover every accident possibliety on your own.

Now if people have been warned and they just plain stubbern..it's sad..bcause its the horse that suffers in the end
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Hey Marnie ! Are ya tired yet
biggrin.gif
Anyway. I have replied to posts on this before and here is how I handle things. I don't like to be "told" things either LOL. I tend to be a bit bull headed, but I really enjoy getting information in a non confrontational way. If a friend happens to mention the way she does or doesn't do something in a casual way then I absorb every ounce of info I can get and use what I think may be good advice. I have learned to do the same with others so it doesn't come across like a slap in the face. You might try something like say "Gosh, you must be so fortunate, my horses find anything they can to get hurt on and knowing them, they would fall in and drown. I've heard of that happening to people's horses and with my luck it would happen to me." or Same thing only with the halter..if you left it on it would be your luck they'd hang themselves etc. That way it doesn't sound like you're confronting them. But it gives them a chance to think about what could happen and if your lucky they may just ask what you mean and you can explain. I know exactly what you are saying though. It ios hard to sleep at night knowing that the animal could be in danger. Sometimes though God protects the ignorant or else there'd be a lot of hurt horses out there. I can try to safe proof everything and I'm pretty fortunate (don't have many accidents) but I see some people's paddocks that look like a military war training course and their horses do just fine
new_shocked.gif
I know mine wouldn't fair that well. Good luck trying to get your point across and thanks for caring enough in the first place.

Not everyone is going to think your a nice person and someone somewhere is going to think it's not your business, so what? Say it for your own peace of mind whether they appreciate it or not, maybe at least it may have a subconscious effect and will save someone some heartache as well.

Last edited:
Marnie,

If you figure it out, let me know. Some people just don't want to be helped and it IS a free country. I have seen dangerous situations that people think is cute and promote it to others as cute. No listening to reason.

A prayer I try to live by is:

God grant me the courage to change the things I can,

Accept the things I cannot,

And the wisdom to know the difference.

I still have trouble with the wisdom part.

A clear consience is a wonderful thing.

Lauralee said:
I know what you mean, Marnie....but MOST people do not want advice....they have to learn it for themselves...the hard way.
It still doesn't remove the sting you feel when the horse suffers because of the human owner's pride....

419871[/snapback]

I agree and sometimes if you give it when not asked then it becomes oh they think they are better then me and somehow you become the elitist.

Some look for any reason to divide not bring togther

Gee Marnie, I know how you feel. It's worse when they ASK for advice and then ignore it not once but over and over. The yearling filly thingy is sore spot with me. Can't say how many times I said the colt really should be separated soon...you really don't want your yearling fillies bred.....sigh. If I see something I think long and hard and then quietly and personally will mention something kinda like mentioned before if I dare.

I also have gotten my doors blown in by stating an opinion and my only intention was to diffuse tension and I only created more. The world needs more caring soft hearted folks. Don't ever change.

I tread softly in these here parts.

I stay in my house and keep to myself unless approached for help of somekind, such as meds, an extra bail of hay or bandaging. Stuff like that.

I see some new neighbors (horse newbies) getting into heep big troubles here right under my nose across the road with a new young horse and children involved but I do not interfere or offer advice. But it's only a matter of time before something goes very wrong.

I keep my mouth shut unless asked but I do leave doors open such as "give me a call if you think I can help you out with anything" and a whole lot of "have a nice days and do be careful" (around the big horse that is going to clean your clock and colic on you)

I did bring over some horse magazines and other articles to read on 4th of July. I have no idea if they bothered to read them or not. I did provide them with phone numbers to a vet and farrier and directions to a feed store and hay supplier.

When do you know when to say something and when do you keep quiet?

That's the question of all time............

I don't know what to say I for many years used barbed wire for fences didn't have any other..Then I started to switch out to go electric with barbless..But I would rather do it myself then be told.. Most people have heard horror stories still they don't head the advice. Let them find out, I guess. Freaky stuff can happen even in a padded stall...Can't just put these critters behind a padded area either.. They have to be able to experience things for themselves also..Like touching an electric wire. Feeling the Bite of it.. ..For the most part I have had the low tanks But sometimes in switching pastures areas sometimes the big taller tanks get used also. I many times driving around and horses standing in fields where wires are sagging and barbed wires at that ...Never seems to hurt those critters..Big water tanks no problem...Cra$ all over the place seems like horses get along just fine..

But even in the cleanest pasture a horse can be running and hit a gopher hole and bingo there goes a break in the leg.. Ya just can't put them in super safe prison cells (Stalls) and padded arenas either..

Marnie,

I think you should say something!!

You seem like a very sensible woman to me! You would know how to word it right!!

Experience gives you a right to an opinion IMO!!! and you have lots of experience!

We all know 'know it all's and they are a pain in the neck' BUT many people make mistakes because they don't know any better not simply because they don't care!

If the person simply does not care they won't listen anyway. However, perhaps they just needed some good advice!

I have a mini friend who gives me 'advice' all the time some wanted some not!! But she has much more experience than I do and if I listen to all she says I will certainly learn some!! What I don't agree with I just don't follow!!

If you were my neighbour I would appreciate any advice you gave me!
biggrin.gif

Dishonest people, re selling the filly, just tick me off!! I have dealt with enough of that to last a longtime!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry had to put that in!!
biggrin.gif

Lauralee said:

419871[/snapback]

You are so right! I just commented about his not long ago on another thread. I don't understand what this "I have to learn for myself" thing is. It is so IGNORANT and you are right.....it's the horses that suffer.

Had many situations happen like this with me with certain people I was "supposedly" friends with. After a while I did not care if the people liked me or not. It just didn't matter anymore as the animals were more important. I just got sick of seeing horses suffer because of stupidity.

Then a few years went by and I got the old..."wish I had listened" routine. Atleast some people can admit when they screw up and I am glad they woke up before other horses of theirs had to suffer.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep....but what do you do?

And another thing, how is it that my horses, if I turned them out in some situations, would immediately find something to hang themselves on and injure themselves. Yet, horses live for YEARS in the same situation, and never have a problem. *sigh*

Like I have seen a LOT of horses living in pens lined with oleanders, and seen the same horses out there for a long time....yet when we cut down branches that were hanging over from the neighbors(on the other side of the property from the horses), and just a few leaves escaped from the dumpster area, my horse was gone within a few days. HOW this happens, I don't know, but I hate it.
sad.gif

And do you tell people that such and such is unsafe? Well, you walk a fine line....the likely response is: "they've always lived that way" or "I think they're safer/better/happier this way" or "never had a problem, see no need to change".

You know though the answer might be "never thought about that, Thanks for letting me know"

I have learned so much by observation but also people giving me advice!

I think the ones who don't take advice are the ones who don't care to change and they really don't care whether it is good or bad for the horses they just care about what suits them!

But I am optimist, I think many people want to learn and appreciate kind advice!

The thing is, topics such as leaving halters on horses & the dangers associated with that have been on here often enough. It's not as though the subject has never been discussed here. Every time this topic comes up there are those that say they leave halters on, always have, always will, their horses never get caught up on anything, or their corrals are safe, nothing to get hung up on. How many times have those people been told 'you'd be surprised at what a little thing a halter can get hung up on'...it never hurts to say it, but that doesn't mean people will listen. And if you're going to offer advice, you have to be prepared to receive a rude response in a certain number of cases.

I figure go ahead & say it, even if you get shot down--then you don't feel guilty.

My father always said, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."

Not one of us is perfect and we cannot be at home 24 hours a day to ensure that all the pastures are safe or the right ones are in the right pastures. Last week, while I was in town for the entire afternoon, our yearling filly got out of a cattle paneled fence. My husband, doesn't give a rip about my mini horse endeavors and makes no bones about it. While I was gone, he put her a pasture with electric fencing where she'll stay put. Problem, a stallion was in that pasture. We'll have the vet out next week to detect pregnancy and consider what should be done for the health of the horse. Yes, this filly is for sale and I have shared this information with interested parties.

I sleep in the barn with my mares are ready to foal. What happens if the mare foals during the day, between checking on her in the pasture? What about folks who work 8-5 and their mares look like they're ready to foal? Every mare is different, their signs/symptoms are different.

Perhaps the person had the halter on for a short period of time, say 15 minutes while the baby/mama were turned out into their private pasture for the first time. That's exactly what happened with me and I used a photo in my avatar and heard about it. What the photo didn't reflect was that we were there with them the entire time.....but the point was well taken.

We have a large water tank (unfilled) that separates an opening in our cattle panel fencing between two pastures....we have three pastures for 11 horses, so as to accommodate a safe breeding program. However, as they say, "The best laid plans....."

Every day, I check the pastures to ensure there are no gaps in the security of the cattle panel fencing that separates our bigs from the minis. If my husband should happen to replace some plastic cable ties and doesn't clip off the ends (eye injury for any of the minis) I immediately go out to check the fenceline.

All I can do is the best I possibly can. Does everyone keep trace minerals in ample supply in their pastures to prevent deformaties or lax tendons in foals? Does everyone change/clean their water tanks on a daily basis in the summer to keep the mosquito larvae at bay....or are they just topped-off? Are there ENOUGH WATER TANKS OR SHADY AREAS within our pastures to ensure that the bossy horses aren't muscling the meeker ones? Are those with many horses rotating their pastures to keep the parasite issue to a minimum?

Our neiborhood has an individual we horse folks call "the barn nazi" who makes it her business to point out every danger or imperfection of care. Frankly, I shared with her that their hay was dusty (we bought a batch from them) from the gravel pit's blasting. She tut-tutted my concern regarding the potential for horses developing heaves last autumn. Guess what.....this spring ALL her horses are being treated for heaves and will be making a visit to Univ. Wisc, Madison.

I'd like to think that everyone takes the best care possible of their horses. However, I've visited enough big and mini farms who maintain professional looking websites which proved to be a real eye-opener. Sadly, due to shear numbers of horses on the farm, I've seen horses who've needed hooves trimmed for months, wormy looking bellies, etc.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I learned the hard way that yours truly is an imperfect human being and have made mistakes with my minis. However, every time I error, my hope is that it is a learned experience that I hope hasn't caused too much harm to my animals. Perhaps that's why I'm selling three of my herd, so that I can better manage and love the ones that remain.

Sorry for the long post. If anyone wants to flame me, please be kind enough to PM, as it's not been the best of weeks. Thank you.

Cindy

DunPainted
aktion033.gif

I know where you are comeing from. I like to think my horses have the best care possible. THey are my children. No they dont go to pastures with halters on, but they do go to the round pen with them on.

I know I have been told many times over on here that I should breed my horses because I cant be there 24/7 to watch them. Well the fact of life is that many people do have to work a full time job. I cant be there to see them when I am at work, so I put them out with the herd, as that is the next best option.

Oh and I do have a 100 gallon water tank, and yes it is fill all the time, yes I have babys in the pasture! I have also seen some bigger farms that were less reputable then you would think. One that sticks out in my mind is one we got a stallion from a few years ago. WE bought him at a sale, however he was a yearling with a foal halter on, and it was embeded into his head. It took months for the marks to go away.

Latest posts

Back