I know I can't make it all right ----

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you see anything in my pictures that you feel is unsafe please pm me and let me know. I may not agree with you , and I may not have even thought about it hurting one of my horses . But I will definately not be mad at you for doing what you feel is right. You may just save one of my horses life. I will be forever grateful. Maryann

It is hard for some of us to say anything about the things we see, even though we think we should. For others, like the barn nazi mentioned by Cindy, it is a favorite past time. It is hard to know what to do, but I am one that will almost always speak up, although I do try to do it softly, without making a big deal about it. I do the best I can for my horses, and they live well, but I know there are things that I just don't realize could be dangerous and I will be open to hearing from anyone about it if they see something like that. I may not be able to remedy the situation, but I will if I possibly can. There are also some things, like fencing, that are very hard for people to be able to change, but I think most of us really try to do the best we can by our horses.

Leaving halters on horses is one of the biggest bones of contention among horse people. I was always leery about it and didn't do it myself, but six years ago I bought a beatiful bright sorrell quarter horse filly with a white blaze and two white stockings. She was gorgeous. I was beyond thrilled with her. She was born on a farm less than a mile from my house and I watched her grow from a tiny foal. She had the best personality. You would all have loved her. Lots of spirit, lots of sass, lots of love to share. She was still at the breeders - good people who adored her (she was the first foal on their farm and was from their favorite mare) -everybody's darling. They had her in a paddock by the road, in view of the house. She caught her halter on a bolt and broke her neck in the struggle. We were all devistated. One of the worst things for me was the guilt I felt. I had thought about asking them not to leave a halter on her. They would have scoffed at me, but would have done it without a fuss. Instead I held myself back and I lost her. I will never forget the sight of her there on the ground. It was a nightmare that I still relive. Every time I see a horse marked like her I think about it. So, I guess what I'm trying to say - in my long winded way - is that I think it is wonderful that you care and I encourage you to say what you think you should. A kind word of advice is all it takes for many people. If they don't listen, it is out of your hands. If someone would have said something to me back then, April would be here today, grazing in the field with my other two quarter horses, helping them keep an eye on the minis in the other field.

Bless you for caring.

Cheryl

I would prefer someone to PM me instead of possiblymaking me feel worse by pointing it out to the entire forum. I would like to think everyone who is a member here or even just reads the posts is here for good reasons, as in proper horse maintenance, proper ways to train, etc.

I personally have never had a problem leaving a halter on, but I'll admit after hearing from some here on their horror stories, I've decided it was in our horses best interest not to leave halters on.

I scrub my stock tanks a minimum of twice a week, sooner if they need it. I keep free trace minerals always avaliable, keep up on trims, worming, etc. I do the best that I can, including daily manure pick up....but I'm not perfect either, but I do try my best. I'm grateful when I get a compliment when people come over how well our mini's look, makes me feel good.

Reading about the mistakes some people have made on this forum and having the courage to post them has helped me as a new mini owner to really pay alot more attention to the things going on around my horses...
no.gif
It saddens me that we have to learn from someone elses mistakes,but I also appreciate them posting them..I to hope someone would warn me if I were doing anything that they thought might endanger one of my horses...
yes.gif

You know, this is a wonderful thread. It has made all of us, big and small, step back and take a look at ourselves and our horses. This morning I let "all" my horses out without halters. I've always kept 3 of them in halter as they are difficult but Jane said it all, better to chase a horse for 2 hours than have a dead horse. So thank you.

Latest posts

Back