I Killed My Beloved Puppy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
My Golden Retriever, my baby.. my sweetheart..

"Dusty" was a Valentine's Gift when I was 9.. In December he would've been 13 years old.. He was a full of life, fun loving "pup" even in his golden years.. NOW I know why these retrievers are "golden"... He was the love of my life and ALWAYS smiling..

Sadly, within the last couple of months his health had been failing.. Cancer had taken over his body.. started in his bones, lungs, then brain.. It was coming down till the last week before we knew what we had to do..

This morning at dusk on my way to work.. I didn't know he was under my truck.. he never attempted to move as the engine started.. or as I changed gears.. he lyed right there.. I heard a quick yelp and he was gone.. I freaked, I lost it..

I knew it was close and it would've killed me to say "go ahead" to the vet (within the week).. but I didn't plan for it to end this way..

I am sorry, Dusty..

Oh please don't blame yourself. The same thing happened to my father and his dog. To this day I still believe Scooter, my dad's dog, wanted to go. He was so old and so tired. I know how hard this must be on you. Just remember that everything happens for a reason and it must have been his time.

Michelle, I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
Becky

I second what Brandi wrote about not blaming yourself....

Code:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say how sorry I am too. After all those years, you needn't worry that your Dusty knew that you loved him. He's at peace now.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your dog.
default_sad.png
Don't be too hard on yourself, accidents happen.

I know that for sure as I did the same thing 4 years ago to my daughters dog. I was sick.

Sympathies to you and your family.

Debbie

I'm terribly sorry about the accident but it was indeed an accident. I can only imagine how devistated you must be. These furry ones in our lives aren't our pets....they're our fuzzy kids. I'm soo sorry it happened this way, but taking him to the vet and saying goodby to him there would have been terribly hard too. He's young and healthy again and will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge when you get there.

Oh my, I know you feel absolutely heartsick about what happened, but you know what? I'm thinking that Dusty was wanting to leave on his OWN terms, and sooner than you planned. He went FAST, and his suffering is over. He knew you loved him, and he loved you. He didn't realize how his method of leaving would affect you, but you have to know that it isn't your fault. Small comfort when your beloved boy is gone, I know, and I am so very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry this happened to you. Sounds like Dusty was an awesome dog and friend.

I am sure Dusty isn't blaming you, so please don't be too hard on yourself....accidents are called accidents for a reason.......
default_wub.png

Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you. Please don't beat yourself up. It was an accident and it wasn't your fault. You had many loving years with your boy and he knows you loved him. Try to remember the life you had together and honor him.Be easy on yourself, forgive yourself. Prayers that God will lift your heavy heart.

God bless

I'm so sorry you lost your precious baby this way. I know you feel guilt for this. Dusty wouldn't want you to.

I believe he will still be by your side watching over you as a guardian angel. That is where he belongs.

When you are all alone and it is very quiet. Listen you will sense his presence.

Oh honey,,, so heartbreaking. But everyone is right. He was ready to go. And he got to choose. He may have been really really bad and didn't hear the truck. It was his time. I had the same thing happen to my cat I had as a child and she lived to be about 18. It is horrible. But they are ready to go on. I am sorry.

I lost a young pet in a similar awful way. It's so hard not to beat yourself up, I actually did for years and would still do just about anything to bring him back.

But it sounds like your boy went very, very quickly.

He is NOT suffering now - do try to take some comfort in that.

Oh my, I know you feel absolutely heartsick about what happened, but you know what? I'm thinking that Dusty was wanting to leave on his OWN terms, and sooner than you planned. He went FAST, and his suffering is over. He knew you loved him, and he loved you. He didn't realize how his method of leaving would affect you, but you have to know that it isn't your fault. Small comfort when your beloved boy is gone, I know, and I am so very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

I also am very sorry for your broken heart but Magic is spot on with this. He's waiting for you now.

Please, Please do not feel guilty over this. In my heart, I feel that animals will seek out there way of passing. Maybe Dusty knew this would be quick and painless for him. This was an accident. Now you will not have to be stressed or pressured over having to make the decision as to when to put him to sleep, he made it for you. Maybe he knew if he went this way, you would be there with him. Bless your broken heart.

I too believe that they seek out their passing when it's time. My father actually had moved his dog out of the way 3 times. He got back in the car thinking he was still where he left him but Scooter had moved back in front of the tire.
default_no.gif
It really was his time and I am sure it was Dustys too

Please, Please do not feel guilty over this. In my heart, I feel that animals will seek out there way of passing. Maybe Dusty knew this would be quick and painless for him. This was an accident. Now you will not have to be stressed or pressured over having to make the decision as to when to put him to sleep, he made it for you. Maybe he knew if he went this way, you would be there with him. Bless your broken heart.

Michelle, I am so sorry. I can't even say how badly I feel for you right now. Please know it was an accident and do not make the loss worse on yourself than it already is. I am just so sorry!

Oh Michelle, I am so so sorry.

Please celebrate the 13 years of love you had for each other and

know that it very probably was his time and his choice of a way to go.

He will live in your heart forever.

Oh Michelle.........I am so sorry for how it happened. Has it crossed your mind that he CHOSE his way to go?

You can bet he knew he dying........and how it went was very quick.

He's on the other side of that "Rainbow Bridge" and is healthy and happy now........just how you would want him to be. And you can bet he knows exactly how and what happened........all he's worried about is you.

Latest posts

Back