I just love this head/blue eye question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

I was out taking pics of rockey for a person interested in him. Until i took these pics i didnt realize how nice his head is LOL. Its so hard to get an in proportion head on a mini and then to get a nice jowl too. The more i take pics of him i dont want to sell him lmbo. i keep having people ask me about the blue eye. I am really in a quandry because i dont want to sell him as being splash (and i dont advertise that) but everyone keeps asking if hes not LW (and hes not) then how can he have a blue eye if hes not splash. Ughhh it drives me crazy because everyone asks. I want to represent him as honestly as possible. From what i have read rabicano does not cause blue eyes either.

rocket_003-304x224.jpg

Heres a body shot but my son forgot to kneel down ughh

rockygoodbody-336x261.jpg

if someone has time can you click this page and see if the video i did is working?? it works when i preview in browser but i dont think it works live on the net??? Ughh this is making me crazy

rocky video

just wanted to say i just reread my post and i am not trying to sell him here on the forum
smile.gif
i just really wanted to know what you all thought of his blue eye sorry if it sounded that way.

Last edited:
Ummmm.... but he is heterozygous Splash.

Blue eye(s) indicate Splash, from my experience blue eye(s)s are more commonly caused by Splash than Frame. His facial marking also tells me he is Splash because it is lopsided, that's the way Splash likes to arrange white on the face/head. Even at it's most minimal, (usually a tiny patch of pink skin), a Splash facial marking will be off to one side of the nose by a nostril. His leg markings also look Splash.

Splash is an incomplete dominant gene which means the physical apperance is going to differ if the genes are heterozygous or homozygous. When it is in heterozygous form you get horses with markings that range from very minimal to the amount of white your stallion has and sometimes a bit more. When a horse is homozygous for Splash you get the unique horizontally arranged markings most commonly thought of when someone says Splash. As far as breeding heterozygous Splash horses, yes they may not have alot of color themselves but they can reproduce it quite easily if bred to another heterozygous Splash horse. I've seen many loudly marked homozygous Splash horses out of two horses that have very minimal white markings.

In advertising, people in general don't usually understand the term "heterozygous", and even less understand the concept of incomplete dominance and why this horse would be considered heterozygous and why he could reproduce Splash offspring, but more and more people are becoming familiar with the different terms used to seperate the "overo" pattern so some people probably would understand if you advertised him as Splash. If you are uncomfortable with that, advertise him as an Overo Rabicano or Rabicano Overo, however you want to put it. I've seen horses that were alot less "overo" looking than him being advertised as such.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back