I just don't know~~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
I love riding don't get me wrong..is just today... wasn't enjoying it as much. Was working at her 1/2 pass at a walk and she wasn't paying attention, even with half halts.. so she trips and just about lands on her face. Luckily she has big shoulders so I can dig my leg and knees into her so I don't come off. Was wearing my helmet and Charles Owen safety vest. Was riding bareback as I prefer that over a saddle now a days.

Also haven't been driving Maggie near as much as I would normally do, for a couple of reasons.. one.. the rocks on the country road because DH hasn't had the time to fix my cart path, as it is too bumpy to drive over the hay field... and my arms have been hurting when I hold the reins. Do stretches and all that but still doesn't help.

Physically I am doing tons better compared with this time last year but...... still no where near were I was before that time.

Couldn't give my horses up... but some times I wsh I had an older been their done that, less complicated Icelandic. Not that Dyfra is bad.. she is a great horse well trained but... oh I just don't know. I guess maybe her tripping has unsettled me a bit.

Anyone else feel this way sometimes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do sometimes question if I have the right ponies for me. So, no, you are not alone.

ohhh, Shari!!! If you only knew
default_smile.png

I was almost ready to sell Anoki earlier this year (not really, but I know you know what I mean)....thought someone else could do more with him....then suddenly everything seems to be turning the corner. Rides aren't as tough as they used to be, so I'm not as sore afterwards...suddenly he seems to be able to do things without a battle. Anoki and I have been learning together....not the greatest situation, but all I can afford.

I know exactly how you feel....hang in there, better days are yet to come

~kathryn

I'm sorry to hear that Shari. I used to ride like a crazy person. Bareback was also my favorite way to ride a horse. I wanted to feel their muscles while riding. Then I got hurt and now I can't seem to feel comfortable on a horse anymore. For totally other reasons I have lost interest and the enjoyment of driving. However, my daughter is excited about getting in the cart behind Ariel and going for a nice drive. So at least someone will have the driving pleasure.

I wish you the best and as for Dyfra even horses can have a bad day. Give her another chance and you might be surprised.
default_smile.png

Am glad I am not alone!

Dyfra is just what she is...before I was hurt.. wasn't worried at all.... now sometimes her silliness bothers me a bit. Sigh ~~ 6 years of training I have put into her, which it has helped a lot but there are some days....
default_wacko.png

Oh.. I know they can have bad days... guess that major trip rattle me a whole lot more than I think it should. Sigh ~~ I try not to think about it... and normally pretty good at keeping my own worries tamped down..so to speak but after she tripped......well.....
default_sad.png

She's not going anywhere... one..I have too many years of work into her.. I would be too picky about who buys her and the market isn't good right now.
default_wink.png
Think I am having more of an off day, than she is.

Is there an experienced person who could come ride her more often ? Would that help ?

I have owned riding horses before and if I could go back I would buy a dead broke 'ol poke of a horse that would not go any faster than a trot LOL !

I know what you mean, I had a great older Arab gelding that stumbled and it totally un-nerved me.

No,, now one else to ride Dyfra.. with her.. more riding doesn't make a difference. Dyfra is one of the horses you can let sit 6 months.. and you can pull her out and she hasn't forgetting a thing. Which is nice..not all horses are like that. But She has to trust her rider...if not.. she will scare the pants off some very good riders, as she has done in the past. She trusts me..so she doesn't do that kind of stuff to me any more. She is a bit more on the Sensitive side... and as I said.. before the Accident.. didn't bother me at all. Just there are some days..I really rather be on a no worries, non sensitive horse.

She also doesn't trip very often...unless she is not paying attention, which is rare.
default_rolleyes.gif

Back