I just don't get it

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
Or should I say TRYING to sell things is a thankless task sometimes.

I put out a bunch of ads on a couple of local saleboards (general boards, not horse sites). I was on the computer until about 10:30 last night & had no messages. This morning when I checked there was a query about one of my ads--a piece of tack, low cost item, in large horse size. It was sent at 1:40 am and read: If you still have this item, phone me at xxx-xxxx and I'll come right over to get it. Umm, really? If I'd been on the computer late I should have phoned him at 1:45 and he'd have been here by 2 am?
default_wacko.png
That would be a little weird I think? Anyway, I phoned just after 9 this morning. His wife answered, sounding kind of sleepy, and when I asked for him she said he was sleeping. I apologized for waking her, explained why I was calling, she wrote down my #, then said oh, he just walked by. But, he was going back to bed so she said he'd call back later. She even explained that he'd been up until 4 am this morning....not drinking or anything, just up, on the computer. Guess he's having a long sleep in, because it is not just after 10 pm & he never did phone back. Guess I should have been on line last night so I could have phoned him up at 1:45 and had him come right over to buy the item.
default_laugh.png
I'd be $15 richer that way!

Then another fellow, e-mailed yesterday about a larger ticket item. I sent pictures & my phone # and pretty soon he phoned. He's very interested, wants the item but he has to leave for work today & will be away for 8 days, then home for 6...he lives 2 hours north of us and works 2 hours west of us, so asked if he could stop on his way by today and pay a deposit and then pick the item up & pay the rest when he's on his way back home in a week's time. I said sure, no problem, it's not like it's any trouble to keep it an extra week. He figured he'd be here just before dark tonight, and he'd call & get specific directions when he got close to the area (he got general directions which would put him down the road a ways, he wouldn't know which place is ours if he tried to come here without calling)--he seemed so keen, and then nothing. No phone call, no e-mail, not a word from him. Maybe his wife told him no (in which case he could have e-mailed & said so?) or maybe he drove into another dimension before he got here?
default_unsure.png

I know this complaint is nothing new, but I just don't get it. How can someone be so keen to get something, and then just hours later lose interest completely? This happens so often!

I think they are looking for love in all the wrong places!
default_aktion033.gif

In "today's" world people get sidetracked quickly and easily. Manners are not what they used to be, nor is work ethic. Truly -- those who are over 30, and especially if you are over 60
default_rolleyes.gif
, what a difference there is in all areas of lifestyle from back when we were growing up!!!

default_wacko.png

Is a pain selling stuff.. sigh ~~ At least you haven't been getting people wanting what you are selling for free yet... oh and not only free but could you ship it to them for free too.
default_wacko.png

Got so bad, I gave up.

Okay, you guys are scaring me. lol I put a car on craigslist yeaterday and had 24 mssages when I checked my email this morning. I had requests for photos, sent those out and got lots and lots of phone calls. So far, 3 offers lower than what I asked for (firm) and one guy who wants to come and look. Maybe he'll find the other dimension your guy found and I'll never see him either. lol

I just put an add on for Alpaca and got some strange replies. I'm with Shari everyone seems to want everything for free...ugh.

Hm. I normally don't have any problems selling things quickly and at a price that is fair to both my and my buyers. I've sold a lot of things on eBay, Craigslist, the saleboard here, DreamHorse, AutoTrader, and all over!

Andrea

Oh, I've had some great luck selling things too--I ran some ads earlier this fall & sold quite a bit of stuff, all quite easily & hassle free. I like the buyers that read the ad, look at the posted photos, then e-mail & say they'll take the item if it's still available, or maybe they e-mail & make an offer, most of those are fair offers & I'm willing to accept them--and then we arrange to meet in the Wal-Mart parking lot to complete the deal.

Mominis-- if your guy goes into that other dimension, he might find a lot of potential vehicle buyers there.
default_biggrin.png
A year ago when I had my old truck advertised, I had several guys—3, maybe 4, I don’t remember them all now but there were at least that many—that got directions to my place so they could come out and look, they said they would be there at a certain time, or “tomorrow, about 4” and then they never showed up. They couldn’t see the truck from the road so they weren’t just driving by & looking & deciding not to come in…don’t know where they all went, but at least I did finally get it sold to the one person who did actually show up as planned! There will be one chain saw enthusiast too, in that other dimension. After I advertised my new chainsaw last year one guy got directions and wanted to come out right NOW so he could buy it before anyone else beat him to it…he never got here. Someone else bought the saw.

Shari—I’ve had a couple of the wants-it-for-free ones too.

Here's one for you........

Having a Yard Sale with items for as little as 25 cents......and someone asks if we'll take LESS?

default_wacko.png

That is funny MA.. makes you wonder about people sometimes.

Also think it depends on where one lives. This part of Oregon no longer has much in the way of jobs, even though people are looking, unemployment is very high because businesses are well.. going out of business, some have down sized by half and other places like Intel and so on, are both out sourcing to Asia, once good paying jobs.. and what jobs that are left.. Engineers are being forced to get paid min wage.

Anyway.. back on track..

So this seems to of lead too.. they think you are never going to be able to sell what you are selling, so they would be happy to take it off your hands for free.
default_rolleyes.gif

Whoo-hoo! He didn't fall off into a different dimension and the car is sold!! Now...to use the profits for my horse habit. Bwahaha!

Oh good, I'm happy your buyer did show up & buy. So, whatcha going to buy in the way of horsey stuff now?

I was selling a 1978 Ford F-150. It was really a total POS. I would go to get hay and it would vapor lock (we thought). The only way we could restart it was with starting fluid. This was 2 years ago. I was asking $500 for this truck. I had a couple of guys come look at it. They wanted it for like $100. I could sell it to a wrecking yard for more. Finally a guy that actually lived near me called and he walked to my house pushing his year old son in a stroller to look at the truck. He wanted the truck so bad that I sold it to him for $300. We found out it was the distributer. He fixed it and still drives it and loves it. It took me about 3 weeks to get that $300 for that thing. Selling things is really getting to be more of a problem then it it is worth. I still look through adds just to see if there is something I can not live with out.

Oh good, I'm happy your buyer did show up & buy. So, whatcha going to buy in the way of horsey stuff now?

Oh all kinds of stuff. I need winter blankets, liners, hoods, and polar fleece sleezies for both boys. I also need a training harness that I saw and drooled over at Nationals from Herrons. lol I also need clippers. Anyway, the new horse will be here at the first of next month, so there's always the little extras that getcha. lol

Latest posts

Back