I just about had a heart attack. Anybody have this happen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHaven

Reaction score
I went out to the paddock to bring in the mares and their foals like I always do before evening feeding. Misty was at the gate and waiting as always. That girl never misses a meal, and her baby was right there by her side bouncing to go in. The other two mares were out in their various spots grazing some of the hay still there from morning with their foals sleeping on the ground. I didn't think anything of it, it's a normal scenario. They play so hard they really zonk out when their done. So I took Misty in. Then I went out and got the second in command and woke her baby up. Little bay filly bounced up when I woke her and trotted after momma into the barn and into their stall... no problem. Then, I went out for the last of the mares. She walked half way over to me with baby still flat out on the ground. I thought that was a little weird, but didn't think too much of it. I went over to the foal and she didn't budge. She was TOTALLY limp. I thought my own heart would stop. I shook her. Nothing. I lifted her head and rubbed her, and shook her. Nothing. I picked her up. She was totally limp and her head was hanging like her neck was broke. All I could think of was the way they charge around the paddock maybe the filly had gotten too close to one of the other mares and although they're really good about the babies, maybe one gave one of the little half hearted warning kicks they do, but they don't usually connect. But maybe, you know anything can happen with these crazy beasts sometimes. Anyway, I took off for the barn with this limp foal in my arms and momma trailing after me. Halfway there the baby kind of woke up. I put her down and she stood but was kind of dazed, and she sort of half fell and half let me lay her down and she went limp again. I shook her again and she woke up. I still picked her up and carried her into the stall. Once inside and with momma in there, she seemed just fine. I did the feeding, and went back in to check her, and pet her, and she's standing strong and nursing.

I've heard of fainting foals, but this one doesn't do anything like that when you're there. Maybe she was just in such a super super sound sleep that like an infant you can pick them up and they're limp. I've NEVER seen that with a foal though.

Has anyone else ever had that happen? Should I be worried?

Sorry it was so long, I just wanted to really describe what happened.

Wow, that is strange. I have never heard of anything like that, please keep us posted and hopefully someone else will have an answer for you.

I've had it happen. The filly was real strong her first 12 hours of life. Then I noticed she looked kind of limp, or dead, when she was sleeping. I went over & sort of rubbed her. Nothing. I shook her a little. Nothing. I picked her up, tried to set her on her feet. Nothing. Her legs were limp, her head & neck just hung. I thought she was dying & I couldn't figure out how such a healthy, strong baby could suddenly go like this. I laid her back down & sat there staring at her in horror. After a moment she sort of woke up, stretched, then rolled up & got to her feet. I realized she'd been in a really deep, deep sleep. I never saw her do it again. Hopefully yours was just sleeping hard too & took some time to wake up.

I've never personally had this happen, but it did happen to a friend of mine. Scared her to death too! She called her vet out and he said that the foal was fine and that sometimes, especially in their first week of life they can fall into such a deep sleep that it is very difficult to wake them up and even if you do, sometimes they will fall right back into it. Her vet said it was nothing to worry about and her colt would outgrow it, which he did. They do love to scare the daylights out of us
default_wacko.png
:

I've had it happen. The filly was real strong her first 12 hours of life. Then I noticed she looked kind of limp, or dead, when she was sleeping. I went over & sort of rubbed her. Nothing. I shook her a little. Nothing. I picked her up, tried to set her on her feet. Nothing. Her legs were limp, her head & neck just hung. I thought she was dying & I couldn't figure out how such a healthy, strong baby could suddenly go like this. I laid her back down & sat there staring at her in horror. After a moment she sort of woke up, stretched, then rolled up & got to her feet. I realized she'd been in a really deep, deep sleep. I never saw her do it again. Hopefully yours was just sleeping hard too & took some time to wake up.
Oh thank you. I'm just about crying from relief here. I'm so happy someone else has had this happen and the foal went on to be fine. I will keep a really close eye on her. She's still in a camera stall so I can still see her. She's FIVE days old and has never had any indication at all of any problems. She sure does tear around and play though, so hopefully she just wore her little butt out today.

We had a newborn foal do this last year. She wasnt fainting I have seen that before had a couple that have done that she was just dying.. I called him like 10 times it seemed like he is only about 5 min away. He got there right as she did it again and listened her heart actually stopped.. he gave her some kinda shot still dont remember what. It did get less and less and now she is a yearling hasnt happened at all in at least 7 -8 months. Scared the pee out of me though

Bitsy, thank you too.

Lisa, oh my goodness that is really scary. I have a stethescope, I'll have to listen if she does it again to see if that's what's happening. I will watch her like a hawk to be sure it doesn't happen again. I may never let that little girl lay down and sleep again.

omg i can only imagine how scared you were! doesnt really sound like a fainting foal. Sending prayers she was just in a really deep sleep. keep me posted. which filly is it?

I have never had a foal do this. But I once had a little stallion named Mickeys Dusty Dreamer. As the story goes, the gal who I got him had about the same thing happen. She said she ran into the house with him thinking he was dead or dieing. And when she put him down on the floor to call the vet he popped up, wide a wake. So she named him Dreamer.
default_yes.gif
:

I sure it is very upsetting... scary for sure!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really cool story for how Dreamer got his name that's for sure. I was calling this little girl Cinamon Spice, but I may have to rethink it... maybe heart stopper.

Kay-it was the little sorrel filly. She has been vibrant and strong since birth, and this is the first time anything like this has happened. She really tears it up playing though, so I'm hoping now after reading all this that she was just so sound asleep she didn't wake up like usual.

This is really interesting. Glad she's OK and thanks for sharing your story. I have had them fait, but I have never seen this happen. I can see why it would sure scare the heck out of you!! At least now, I;ll be prepared, if it ever does happen here!

We had a filly do exactly the same thing this year, a couple times! She just doesn't wake up, once we got her carried into the barn and wiggled her and pinched her before suddenly she woke up. Our vets think it's a neurological thing, something in her brain hasn't developed correctly, but apparently it's caught up now, because she hasn't done it in weeks .... and believe me, every time she's laying flat out sleeping, we go wake her up, just in case! She does still tend to sleep more than the other foals, the vets ask me all the time how our "narcoleptic" foal is, they're all quite curious to get updates on her.

Ripbaby2.jpg

I hope your baby is magically better like ours was!

Thanks for all the responses guys. It sure is nice to know it's not completely out of left field.

Kendra she hasn't done it again, and I watched her like crazy last night. I think she's totally sick of me now. LOL Not to say she won't do it again. Except for that time, she has acted totally normal and she's a week old today. She plays, nurses, and acts like the others and is bright eyed and responsive to us. I'm hoping not to see that 'dead foal' thing again... EVER, but after reading all the posts, I will still watch and sort of expect it to happen again and try to not let my heart stop when I see it.

We also had a "narcaleptic" foal once. And yes, it is scarey! Our's would sleep so long and so hard that he'd sleep through normal nursing time. So, we were having to make sure he was awake to nurse every two hours of so. He out grew it when he was a few days old, thank heaven!

And we named HIM "Dreamer" too!
default_yes.gif
:

MA

We also had a colt do this. I was completely undone when I found him "barely alive". I held him in my arms and just cried but after a bit he perked up and looked at me like " what's the fuss" and off he went happy as a lark. Vet said he was a nacoleptic foal and he's outgrow it quickly, which he did. Hated that scary thing!

We had this happen one time, many years ago. The foal was about 12 hours old and had been just perfect. Eating, nursing, running around. I went in to check on him and he was laying in the back of the stall "out cold." I really thought he was dead. He was limp, and his head just hung over my arm. I picked him up and ran down to the house, laid him on the dining room floor and called the vet. As soon as he came on the line, the dear little horse trotted right across the floor. He looked around as to say, "wow, I'm in the house."

He never did that again, but I have watched very closely since then, and have noticed that around 12 hours the foals really tend to go sound asleep. Maybe the adrenaline from birth has slowed down.

Should have named him "Heart Attack Special."

Josie

Willow Springs Farm

Parkersburg, WV

Latest posts

Back