I hope they’re just playing...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichmond

Reaction score
Our mini colts are a little over 10 months old now. They spend a lot of time playing and chasing each other around. Play gets pretty rough sometimes, with each one biting and kicking the other. It doesn’t seem like serious fighting because the next thing you know, they’re curled up in the hay together with the goats and everything is peaceful. Neither has dropped yet, but we plan to get them gelded when they do. Will they be ok, behavior-wise, until then? They’re easy to handle, though sometimes nippy when being groomed, but I correct that when it happens. All of my previous horses were full-size and adult mares or geldings, except for a filly I got as a yearling. I don’t have a lot of experience with studdy behavior.
.10B8FE7A-9BAD-4DB5-ACA5-A46C79AE89C6.jpegCBF0112A-9163-411A-AA71-F2D32FCE9726.jpeg96D548E0-2F91-4004-9026-80629C3AB00C.jpegB6D8BA4B-2343-49F1-898E-70B5ABA1AE12.jpeg6EDCEE4B-AE25-45D2-8336-7136660B2148.jpeg2A9CC60E-48B8-4086-8224-D94C951332CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Since you eventually want to geld them, I don't think it will be a problem, unless you put mares with them. That's when they might be really rough.

Many stables and breeding facilities in Europe keep studs together, away from mares during non-reproduction season. They've done studies on them, and while the stallions were engaging in ritualistic fighting (more like playing), no horse was hurt. Of course, horses are horses, so there are still risks, but it was very minim compared to what everyone expected.

From the pictures included, they seem to be having fun. No ears back, or other fear demonstrations. Both of them seem to agree to play ! :)

I agree with @JFNM miniatures, it looks like just play. Only thing I would worry about is them hurting someone/thing else. Like, if they were to get a little too carried away, and begin to chase a goat or something, and nip at it, goats don't have as tough skin, but I agree, from the pics posted, they look just like they're having a good time! And honestly, it's better that they're doing that, rather than being bored and finding something else to get into and destroy! 😂

Since you eventually want to geld them, I don't think it will be a problem, unless you put mares with them. That's when they might be really rough.

From the pictures included, they seem to be having fun. No ears back, or other fear demonstrations. Both of them seem to agree to play ! :)
That’s a relief. We have no mares close by. After seeing all the cute foals being born, I’d love to keep the pinto as a stallion...his bloodlines are good. I’d have to get a mare...His parents are both black and white tobiano pintos, double registered, but I have no business raising any foals. They do say a good stallion will make a great gelding. 🤣

I agree with @JFNM miniatures, it looks like just play. Only thing I would worry about is them hurting someone/thing else. Like, if they were to get a little too carried away, and begin to chase a goat or something, and nip at it, goats don't have as tough skin, but I agree, from the pics posted, they look just like they're having a good time! And honestly, it's better that they're doing that, rather than being bored and finding something else to get into and destroy! 😂
They do chase the goats, but generally only when the goats are fighting. If the horses catch them butting heads, they get in between. It’s pretty amazing, really. We never managed to get them wethered, so they’re awful to each other at times. The vet is scheduling farm calls in May, so hopefully we’ll get them taken care of then.

These are our two colts when they were around the age of yours. They were gelded at 1 yr and continue to play rough now that they’re almost 2. Very fun to watch. Sometimes they rear like below and completely miss the other one. But they love grooming each other and are very bonded. They e been together since they were 3 months and are half brothers.1618218547751.jpeg

Aww, thanks for sharing pictures! They're adorable!

I agree with everyone, it seems to me that they are just playing.

We got 2 mini colts last year, one was a little over a year old, the other just over 2. We had only had full size horses before we got these guys as well.

I was also surprised how rough they play. I've never seen horses knock each other down, or rough house like these two do. Sometimes it does look almost violent!

But I've never seen either injure themselves or each other, no bite marks, etc...so we're not worried. They're actually really attached to each other, don't like being separated at all.

Our older mini was gelded last fall, the younger mini will be gelded next week. It definitely helps, but they're both settling down some as they learn and grow anyway. Less time playing, more time grazing lol.

Here's our goofballs:

20200929_085328.jpg
20200929_085434.jpg
20200531_081505.jpg

These are our two colts when they were around the age of yours. They were gelded at 1 yr and continue to play rough now that they’re almost 2. Very fun to watch. Sometimes they rear like below and completely miss the other one. But they love grooming each other and are very bonded. They e been together since they were 3 months and are half brothers.
Wow, yours are pretty closely matched. They ARE a lot of fun to watch, aren’t they?
Our boys were born at the same farm within a couple of days of each other. They might be cousins, but I’d have to look at their papers.
I wanted to make sure they were going to be ok together. They sure seem to enjoy each other’s company. In fact, this morning, both of them and the 2 goats were all curled up in the same stall. The four get along pretty well.

Thank you for sharing your pictures, too. Your boys look like they really have fun together.

I was surprised at how hard they play as well. I’m used to seeing our dogs knock each other down, but had never seen horses play as hard. Oh, to have that energy level! 😁

I was also surprised how rough they play. I've never seen horses knock each other down, or rough house like these two do. Sometimes it does look almost violent!

But I've never seen either injure themselves or each other, no bite marks, etc...so we're not worried. They're actually really attached to each other, don't like being separated at

Rowan, who is now 6 or nearly so, plays endlessly, over a 5' fence, with the teenaged 17h warmblood who lives next door to him. Rowan has to stand on his hind legs to reach for bitey-face and the warmblood has almost taken the fence down a few times. Just normal gelding stuff! I've rarely seen horses get hurt from this play - fly masks and blankets OTOH are dead meat. 😁

Everyone's boys are lovely! If I can get it I'll try to post a pic of Rowan and his giant neighbor playing but so far they only do it when they don't know people are watching.

Ours were gelded about 3 months apart. The 1st one had complications due to the vet hurting the carotid artery when she tried to sedate him. He jumped and she missed. Ends up he’ll never be able to have anything done on that side again. We changed vets after that. When he wasn’t feeling very good, the younger one really took advantage. We had to rent the stall next to ours to separate them. Then it switched around when the younger one got gelded. Now they’re both fine and recovered and are more rough and tumble than before! 😬

Aww, thanks for sharing pictures! They're adorable!

I agree with everyone, it seems to me that they are just playing.

We got 2 mini colts last year, one was a little over a year old, the other just over 2. We had only had full size horses before we got these guys as well.

But I've never seen either injure themselves or each other, no bite marks, etc...so we're not worried. They're actually really attached to each other, don't like being separated at all.

Our older mini was gelded last fall, the younger mini will be gelded next week. It definitely helps, but they're both settling down some as they learn and grow anyway. Less time playing, more time grazing lol.

Here's our goofballs:

View attachment 43241
View attachment 43242
View attachment 43243
Darling! Looks pretty familiar to me. People always say something when they mount each other, but it’s really just them playing and asserting dominance. Funny— early on our younger one wasn’t getting the mounting quite right— he’d mount the other perpendicularly across his back🤣

Darling! Looks pretty familiar to me. People always say something when they mount each other, but it’s really just them playing and asserting dominance. Funny— early on our younger one wasn’t getting the mounting quite right— he’d mount the other perpendicularly across his back🤣
Ours do the same thing all the time. Theo, the black colt is an inch or two smaller than Ziggy, the pinto, so he’s stretching to reach and gets dragged along for his efforts. It’s pretty funny.

Ours were gelded about 3 months apart. The 1st one had complications due to the vet hurting the carotid artery when she tried to sedate him. He jumped and she missed. Ends up he’ll never be able to have anything done on that side again. We changed vets after that. When he wasn’t feeling very good, the younger one really took advantage. We had to rent the stall next to ours to separate them. Then it switched around when the younger one got gelded. Now they’re both fine and recovered and are more rough and tumble than before! 😬
It’s a shame that happened to your baby. 😢

Like this? 😆

20200725_065226.jpg

20200725_065227.jpg

20200725_070637.jpg

Baron is 2, and not gelded yet. (Next week, yah!) But I don't think I've ever seen him actually "mount" Monty correctly! The only negative to this kind of play, is Baron chomps down on Monty's mane and tail, so ½ his beautiful mane is gone! I bought some Red Spray to put in Monty's mane and tail, and it seems to be working well! (I can't keep a tail cover on him lol) Fingers crossed he gets to grow his beautiful mane back!

They're so fun to watch them playing! Although I don't have many pictures of Monty mounting Baron, he absolutely does it! I know for sure it's just play to him, because he was gelded last Sept.

Your boys are beautiful and hysterical at the same time. ❤😍❤️ I wonder if the Red Spray would work on goats? I’ve caught the goats chewing on the horses tails a couple of times. 😬

Your boys are beautiful and hysterical at the same time. ❤😍❤ I wonder if the Red Spray would work on goats? I’ve caught the goats chewing on the horses tails a couple of times. 😬

Thank you! I love watching them play 😍 of course I'm biased, but I believe they're some of the most beautiful mini's I've ever seen lol.

Red Spray is non toxic, just be careful not to get any on their skin.

I've been using it for about a week.

It doesn't irritate my poor chewed on pony, but our little hair eater doesn't like it at all!

I've watched him try to bite Monty's tail, or clamp onto his mane after applying the red spray, and he immediately lets go and rubs his face on his leg.

I haven't seen him even attempt to bite Monty's mane or tail in a few days now. I'm satisfied it's working!

It was the least expensive anti chew formula from Big Dee's, $6.95 for 1 quart spray bottle.

Mixing red pepper powder in Vaseline, and spreading in the mane and tail where the horses chew them also works well! (Wear gloves when applying this!)

Latest posts

Back