I have another surprise LOL - updated pics page 2 (pic overload)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
I hadnt even gotten round to starting their threads but Shimmer is due July 1st and Slaney July 12th.

Even though the weather was awful yesterday evening, myself and my neighbours sorted out the moving and changing round of horses.

We brought Sunny and Buck down to the big field and brought Shimmer and Tilly in to join Slaney. Rosie, Banner and Atiya are out in the smaller field.

So jobs done and all is well but Shimmer is being a monkey and enjoying tormenting Slaney so I split them after 1/2 an hr and closed my stable gates and Slaney had the back 1/2 and Tilly and Shimmer had the front half. All were happy and settled into munching their haylage and dinner.

I watched them till about 12.30 not because I was expecting someone to foal but I just wanted to be sure that they were all happy with their new living arrangements. And thankfully all was well and when I was ready to sleep they were all laid down catching a few zzzzz's of their own.

So flicked on the phone this morning and had a sneak peak and all was well. Slaney was just stood at the back and the other two ladies were hoovering to see if they could find something to nibble.

Out I go and had planned to turn them out into my little arena so was putting out water, haylage and breakfast before getting the ladies.

So in I go and start putting headcollars on Tilly and Shimmer and whatever way I looked back over the gate there was a little bundle of fluff 4 weeks EARLY.

Shocked doesnt even cover it as I had only tested her milk the evening before last and it was hardly 40% on the strips did I mention she still had 4 wks to go.

To make another long story short Slaney developed a bacterial infection which turned her milk into a thick custard like substance and her udder was fit to explode.

She has had 18 days of antibiotic and it went back to liquid but still held a rusty colour. But I figured it might sort itself out once the consistency was back to normal.

Anyway all this time she has had a full udder with teats separated and pointing down but with when I tested the milk was at 10 % and only started to change to 40% in the last few days but only barely at that. The top strip was closer to 40% and the bottom green one was between the 40 and 10%.

So I figured she would go early but apart from her being a big anxious yesterday there was nothing to set off the alarm bells. I put down her anxiousness to the fact that she was on her own since I put Banner, Rosie and Atiya out. Even though Sunny and Buck were out the back she was not impressed with that.

This boy is tiny and measured 19 1/2" with 7" cannons. The vet is coming shortly to give him the once over as he sounds wet and his eyes are a little gunky. He is nursing but still a bit stupid in that dept. and when he does suck the other teat starts flowing milk too so he ends up half drowned LOL.

No name yet but here is Bucks fully brother

Slaney2012Baby2.jpg

Slaney2012Baby.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Karina, he is gorgeous! I am so glad all went well
default_smile.png

Quick update:

Vet has just been and given him an antibiotic to be on the safe side and he tested his eyes for ulcers but they are clear from that. He just said his lids are not fully developed and his lashes are closing down into his eye so causing irritation. He has given me drops to put into his eyes 3 -4 times a day and I have to keep him informed of his progress and to call if they are looking worse.

He is sucking well once he latches on but he still makes hard work out of finding the teat.

While I was holding him for his eye exam he fainted twice but once I put him back on the ground he snapped out of it. So I will be keeping a close eye on that too.

The vet said to go keep a close eye on his drinking and how he is getting on with it.

I asked about doing the IgG test but he would have to draw blood and wouldnt have results till Monday.

But we are keeping a very close eye and I will call him if I see anything of any concern.

But so far so good.

LOVELY BOY SO CUTE CONGRAULATIONS.. I LOVE IT WHEN YOU FIND ONE AND ALL IS WELL WITH NONE OF THE STRESS
default_yes.gif

congrats!! Hope he does well for you
default_smile.png
He is very cute!

Thanks for the compliments
default_biggrin.png

I went out to do his eye drops and his right eye doesnt look too bad but his left eye now has gone green from the dye but also has an opaque film over it. I have called the vet so he might be out again.

Even with a rug on the poor little devil was shivering so he now has a 2nd rug on and he had fresh shavings which now has a lovely layer of chopped straw on top so a very cosy warm bed. I also put on the heat lamp too and will close the top half of the door tonight to make sure there are no drafts.

I really hope he will be ok. He is very sweet and just too cute
default_wub.png
default_blush.png

Oh and Diane I think you might be right about the infection and antibiotic having something to do with his early arrival.

Congrats, I always get over watchful of the nursing, and when they start as a rule for me, even before thay start nusring, I give a boost of colostrum just to perk them up, so as not to go as long without, in case nursing is an issue, since I had a dummy foal last year..its clear you need to wait around to wait for nursing..
default_smile.png

Good Luck with your handsome boy..
default_smile.png

Karina one of my colts was born early and had problems nursing, fainting and keeping warm, it was hard work for 4 days to keep him on hot water bottles etc but he is fine now and a right little nightmare
default_smile.png
and I am sure your little guy will be too very soon
default_smile.png

Karina, Congratulations on your new BEAUTIFUL PALOMINO COLT!! So glad that he arrived safely too!

Congrats on your adorable furry surprise. Hope he figures out the nursing and that his eyes improve.

Congrats, I hope he improves
default_smile.png

I've heard a lot of early babies have eyelash problems, some people suggest clipping them and they grow back fine. Might be worth asking the vet about?

Hope you're getting a good snooze in about now....and are feeling good in the AM.

Congrats again on the new addition to Banner Minis.

He's a cutie pie, for sure!

Well I have decided on a name for my very little guy.

He will be called Banners Golden Warrior so he will be called Warrior. He has put up a great battle to survive and as of this morning is a lot stronger and acting a bit more like a normal foal. He still tires easily but he has his little moments of madness too.

He has figured the milk bar and knows where to go now and doesnt waste time checking behind Slaneys front legs LOL.

His eyes are better this morning too and the lashes are already moving away from his eyeball.

Also his eyes are less swollen looking.

I had to leave this as the vet had arrived.

So he has been given the once over and the vet is delighted with him. Normal temp and eyes are so much better plus he is acting more like a normal foal - no fainting either.

I will continue to bathe his eyes and give him eye drops for the next 4 - 5 days. But all is looking very good for Warrior.

Weather is not great here today so I am watching like a hawk and waiting for a nice hr to let them out and stretch their legs. Poor Slaney will have cabin fever if she doesnt get out but I do need to be very careful as if he got wet and cold it could set him back.

If he does get out I will try to get a few more pics but he will be double rugged so there wont be much of him to see LOL

Great news! So glad he is doing better this morning. Hopefully the weather will give you a break so he and his momma can get out for a bit.

Well I hope you are ready for some cuteness LOL

Slaney & Warrior got out today for a little run around and I snapped off a few hundred pics LOL

So here is Warrior (still double rugged) now 2 days old and doing really well.

AoifeGraceWarrioredit.jpg

AoifeWarrior2edit.jpg

AoifeWarrior3edit.jpg

AoifeWarrioredit.jpg

Warrior2edit.jpg

O wow he is to cute. Are those your girls they are so cute?Congrats on your handsome.I hope he does well.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back