I Have a situation: need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

candycar

I have complete faith you all can help.

My girls have been having problems with very loose stools (cow pie city). It started out with only Lexy, but now Jelly Bean is having problems also.

Background: In addition to hay, I let them graze the lawn everyday for 1 hour at noon. It's just "regular" lawn for KY with a lot of clover. We have been having a dry spell for about 10 days and the grass is "stressed". (It's raining a little now, finally) About 4 days ago Lexy developed loose stools in the afternoon, but they firmed up by the next day. Today, even cast iron stomach Jelly Bean is having the same problem. I'm thinking it's the grass that's doing it. The only other thing that's "new" is their pelleted feed had some weevles in it, and some days they have been getting a little bit of watermelon at about 2pm.

What I was wondering is if I should take them off the grass altogether until it's green again, or graze them only in the morning? If I take them off the grass, how long can they go until I have to "introduce" it to them again? Any ideas on what else it could be? I never had this problem before, even last year during the big drought. Advice please!

I would have their poop checked for GI infections. My mare had that problem and that's what it was.

I also had a friend whose horse got salmonella(spelling?) and it started with loose poop.

Also, if your having a dry spell and their pulling up sand with the grass the sand could be causing it. (Had that problem here with our drought) You can check for sand yourself by putting a sample of poop in a ziplock bag. Add some water and hang it up. The sand will settle at the bottom if there is any.

I only know that clover can be toxic to horses.

I am not sure on the specifics, but yes I think you should look into the clover and how it may be affecting them. I remember reading somewhere once that some clovers can be toxic to horses.

Latest posts

Back