I HAVE A NEW DONKEY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
Yes, I posted this on the donkey forum, but thought I might get more response here, please help.

I got a four year old donkey gelding to be a buddy with my 9 year old horse gelding. We were unsure of his past, so we pulled a coggins and gave him all of his vaccinations and worming, three weeks ago. He is on a half acre pasture with a mineral block (with selenium) during the day and in a stall with grass hay at night. His manure is 50/50 mush and solid. Every day, no change, he has had plenty of time to adjust or develope a sickness. I am at my wits end as to why he won't be consistant. He doesn't appear to be "sick", meaning he is not showing any colic symptoms, he's eating and drinking regularly. I am going to call my vet tomorrow, but do ya'll have any suggestions?

Well, just a guess here as I don't know his past either obviously, but if he didn't have a lot of good grass in his old setting, just being on good rich grass can keep them loose for quite a while. There are obviously other health related issues that can cause problems as well, but that would be my first thought is the grass. A lot of people I know keep there donkeys in lots with as little grass as possible because they get so overweight so easily- so he might just not be used to all that good eating
wink.gif

Its not smart to guess without seeing things but is there a chance there is to much protein in the animals diet ?? If Being on fresh grass is a change in the animals diet that might just be the cause. You need to pay close attention to his food intake and talk with your vet to establish what is normal for this little critter.

Hello,

I am not sure if this will help you. But I sure learned a new one this Summer.

This lesson was an expensive one to. We have 3 foals this year. 2 of the babies

had Diarrhea. Our Colt Gallant Lad started it at a month old. We had him at the Vet over and over, ran test after test after test. Over $700.00 in test. Could not find the reason. He played, nursed and seem fines, but here is the diarrhea. Then

our filly Princesa got it. Started at a month old.

Our third baby is fine, no problems with her. But these two, had diarrhea. They were put on Ulcer med's, no help. Treated with all different kinds of med's. No help. Poor Vet was at a loss. Was on the phone one day talking to another mini farm, on another horse topic. When time for med's came, the person ask me if we had a salt block in the stalls with the foals. Sure enough I did. Well removed them, and Gallant Lad is normal. It took him another month to get over it. Once I removed the block, it took a week to see some improvement. Called the Vet, and confirmed it. He did not know I had them.

He said, sure enough it would do it. Seems these babies were obessed with the salt blocks and then instead of nursing Mom's. They went to the water. Well they lick salt and drink. They became over loaded on water, causing the diarrhea.. Tossed those darn blocks out, and Gallant Lad has been normal for a month now. Princesa is improving slowly, she was more into the blocks then Gallant Lad.

The next problem came with her, when she was drinking water so much, her dam dried up, or became so gorged. Thanks to some very dear friends I was able to milk her and get her milk going again. Princesa had to learn to nurse next again. So she has been improving but at a slower paste. The Vet stays in touch to make sure of her progress. We have been able to finally wean her off the ulcer med's. All the diarrhea caused her to have an ulcer. But it has healed. She is still kept under the camera and check on through the day and night.

So I don't know if this will help. But the salt block sure caused a lot of pain in our barn this year. Thank goodness our third filly never took a liking to the salt block.

I did see you mention the mineral block, could it cause the same results? Could also be the grass? I hope you find your answers, but you might sure look at the salt or mineral block. I wish I had, and not had to have these two foals have it for 2 months.

Best wishes

Vicky

Back