I have a color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyn_j

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Is it possible that my bay filly is a sooty buckskin? Her mother was registered by amha as a buckskin she is out of a light sorrel and a bay,[/SIZE]

maresbrownsugar.jpg

The fillys sire is a sorrel, red with flaxen mane and tail who is out of a palamino and a chestnut.

This filly has a darl body with light shading in the face and hips and dark points.

f3a8a1bf.jpg

This pic is from just rough cutting her but now the center of her face is darker and down her back is dark but her belly sides and butt are light.

Lyn

Honestly, I dont think so. We have a sooty bucksin and there is no red on him. He is all pretty dark, and then he has a gold muzzle.I wish I had a pic of him, lemme try and find it.

She looks bay to me too, at least from what I can see in that picture.

Also, if her dam is out of a "light sorrel" and a "bay", there's no way the mare can be a buckskin.

[SIZE=14pt]Thats what I thought too Laurie but Robert said that he let amha chose the color by her baby pics and thats what they put! as far as what color the parents really were I can only go by what is on the pedigree. I do know there are palaminos on both sides.[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]OMG- He let the AMHA choose the colour!!!!! What got into him???? They still register a Black o/o two Sorrels
laugh.gif
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I say bay. This is my sooty buckskin.

mystery04.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]I know lots of people that let them chose because, if THEY make a mistake then THEY have to fix it free later. If YOU make a color mistake they CHARGE YOU to correct it![/SIZE]

Lyn

Lyn I sent you a photo of my black (buckskin) pinto mare with her buckskin filly. We had no idea that the mare carried her sire's creme gene until she produced her 2004 filly, a buckskin, from a bay stallion with no creme gene in his pedigree.

It is possible that the "light sorrel" was a palomino or some other creme horse. Hardly anyone correctly identifies the mini colors... at least IMO... especially when they are registered as foals.

JJay

Latest posts

Back