I have a coat question too

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
I have two horses that have several crusty bumps one on each around the withers, one around the center back above the hip and each has a spot or two around the point of shoulder. Its kind of like a 1/8 to 1/4" tall, crusty scab but fairly dense. Is this a form of fungus? It's not from a "Cut" like an injury. The one horse had this last year in the same place an developed patchy skin on her shoulders.

Any Ideas and or experience?

Thanks!

Joy

PS if I pick off one of theses scabs do you think I could take it into the vet for analysis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but it could be rain rot. Try clipping around the areas and spraying on some listerine, or lightly scrub with betadine mixed with warm water daily until scabs losen and fall off. It's usually too painful to pick them off.

Not sure, but it could be rain rot. Try clipping around the areas and spraying on some listerine, or lightly scrub with betadine mixed with warm water daily until scabs losen and fall off. It's usually too painful to pick them off.

I'm not positive either, but I would probably take the route Terry has suggested. Clip around it, clean it up, put some listerine on it daily and see it if starts to get smaller. Now, if when cleaning it up I noticed pus or some strong smell I'd contact a vet.

Thanks! I'll give it a try
default_yes.gif

Joy
default_saludando.gif

Sounds like rain rot. I don't clip the spots before cleaning if there isn't overly much skin involved and the treatable areas are relitively small. I don't like shaving anything this time of year, but left untreated the rain rot will start bringing out the hair so you don't want that either...

I scrub with Equyss micro tek shampoo and scratch them while bathing and remove the scabs. Rinse and then I follow up with wetting the spots with microtek spray until gone.

For the last few years to prevent rain rot I make sure the very last bath of the season is with microtek shampoo and I scrub them good. Ever since I started the final bath with the medicated bath and scrub all the way to the skin before winter sets in and they grow winter hair, I have avoided the rain rot.

I bathe a couple of times with this shampoo during the bathing season. It really helps. I also wash my brushes in it a few times a year too. Fly masks, blankets can also be scrubbed with the shampoo.
default_saludando.gif

Good grooming with a product that gets into the undercoat like a slicker (as used by dog groomers) then in the Summer make sure they get a good bath with betadine scrub. Of course free-access mineral salt to prevent and heal skin infections and make sure they are wormed with ivermectin. Also if it is an area that cannot be reached by teeth, you may use desitin. It is awesome for skin problems of any type. I get eczema on my eyelids and the thinnest layer of Desitin cures it!

Good luck!

I agree that its probably rain rot.

It has been my observation that horses that are hard to keep weight on or are thin are way more suseptible to rain rot. Be sure the horse is getting enough feed etc.

I agree that its probably rain rot.

It has been my observation that horses that are hard to keep weight on or are thin are way more suseptible to rain rot. Be sure the horse is getting enough feed etc.
Thanks Kay Kay. I looked into some online information(pictures)on Rain Rot and everyone was right, that is what it is
default_yes.gif

As far as nutrition and weight, these guys are World level show horses and are in awesome condition and are fed a very good diet with vitamins ect...
default_wink.png
so don't worry
default_wub.png

I think it came with a horse a bought a year or two ago that had a spot( small crusty lump) on the harness pad area and I didn't know what it was. Been doing horses for over 40 years, guess I've been lucky or doing something right LOL! as I've never dealt with this before
default_smile.png
Learn something new everyday
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone!

Joy

Sounds like rain rot. I don't clip the spots before cleaning if there isn't overly much skin involved and the treatable areas are relitively small. I don't like shaving anything this time of year, but left untreated the rain rot will start bringing out the hair so you don't want that either...

I scrub with Equyss micro tek shampoo and scratch them while bathing and remove the scabs. Rinse and then I follow up with wetting the spots with microtek spray until gone.

For the last few years to prevent rain rot I make sure the very last bath of the season is with microtek shampoo and I scrub them good. Ever since I started the final bath with the medicated bath and scrub all the way to the skin before winter sets in and they grow winter hair, I have avoided the rain rot.

I bathe a couple of times with this shampoo during the bathing season. It really helps. I also wash my brushes in it a few times a year too. Fly masks, blankets can also be scrubbed with the shampoo.
default_saludando.gif
Awesome, I will get some of each today, spray and shampoo. I need to wash the harness pad and wipe down the harness just to make sure. Can I use the shampoo in a washing machine or sink? will that kill the bacteria on the pad or should I just throw it out and buy a new one? Also can I wash my clipper blades in it? or will rubbing alcohol kill the bacteria on the blades?

Thanks
default_smile.png

Joy

I wouldn't throw my pad a way, do you have any spray disinfectant like lysol you can spray it let it sit for 15 minutes then use leather cleaner. As for the brushes and clipper blades, when I worked for a vet we used to run the blades in some nolvasan solution, then run again in blade cleaner. We used the nolvasan to clean brushes combs and other supplies.

Thanks Kay Kay. I looked into some online information(pictures)on Rain Rot and everyone was right, that is what it is
default_yes.gif
As far as nutrition and weight, these guys are World level show horses and are in awesome condition and are fed a very good diet with vitamins ect...
default_wink.png
so don't worry
default_wub.png
I in no way meant that in a bad way. I have ponies here that are hard keepers. Our National champ gelding used to get rain rot but he was very hard to keep weight on. Especially in winter. Sometimes no matter how hard we try they can get a little under.

I don't think it's a bad thing, in the deal of saying on malurished, and not taken care of horses get it, but it is contagious, so watch it. But I had a butterball fat in perfect condition mare get it, IN W TEXAS. We are in a desert, not humid and wet like other parts of the country, and this was mid summer. It's def not something that is normal here, BUT we had a extremely wet summer that year, and she got it. Vet had one in front of her, that he diagnosed and treated while we were waiting, and two after her, so it running rampant here that summer. I used betadine soap and bathed her in that once a day along with an antifungal salve, it cleared it up in about 2-3 weeks, and we haven't had any more problems with it (knock on wood).

You can also use a product called MTG. Stinks terrible but works great on rainrot. An important thing is not to let them get wet while you are dealing with this, you wont be able to blanket them either. That would creat a damp dark spot for it to spread.

Latest posts

Back