I hate being that person... But.... What do you think

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkincreek71

Reaction score
To start off we purchased two mares 2 weeks ago. Mares are new territory for me, I've raised dairy goats for years. We didn't set out to get mares we were offered them and fell in love immediately. Our kids are smitten!
The history I have on these mares-
They both are between 5-6 years old
Neither has foaled as per last owner (he had them 3 years)
They have been running with a stallion for almost 2 years.
He said they are just fat if they were going to foal they would have already done it.

Now my experience here is limited to goats. Lol
I believe they may be pregnant and pretty far along. One I'm struggling getting my hands on as they haven't been handled much. We are taking it slow but we're making progress. They just dont want me touching their sides and take off if they see a lead rope. I've looked at their teats but im used to big full udders on my dairy girls. We are waiting on our vet to come out. Pregnancy checks are not emergency and we keep getting pushed off. We love this vet and know this time of year he's slammed. I was hoping I could get some opinions on if Im seeing what I think i am.

The brown mare started winking and squating yesterday. So maybe she is just fat?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4291.jpeg
    4291.jpeg
    700.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 4213.jpeg
    4213.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 4289.jpeg
    4289.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 25
Im going to try to get teat pics. Ill have to wait until I have help with that. The brown one won't let me get behind her, she's acting like she's in heat. I believe I've seen foal movement on both mares but neither will let me feel anything. I've still got a ways to go to gain their trust.

Attachments

• 0607211954a.jpg
    0607211954a.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 0607211949b.jpg
    0607211949b.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 0607211948_HDR.jpg
    0607211948_HDR.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 13
  • 0607211950_HDR.jpg
    0607211950_HDR.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 11
I'm no expert (like you, dealt with more pregnant goats than pregnant horses!), but they do look erm...large! And not really fat otherwise. I find it improbable that two mares out with a stallion for that long would both not be pregnant. And I just learned right on this here forum a few weeks ago that pregnant mares can still go into heat!

So - please be sure to post foal pics as soon as you have them!! Those of us with geldings that we know for sure are not pregnant, no matter how much they may appear so, rely on your photos to keep us going, since we have no hope of a cute surprise ourselves. Maybe a palpable rib someday, is my dream right now. ;)

How big an area do you have them out in? Can you put them somewhere small? It might help you get closer to them if you have them in a smaller area and spend time just sitting with them maybe with a few carrots or apples for if they come over to you. Just sit there relaxed and read and kind of ignore them. It might also help if they don't have grass and they have to rely on you bringing them food. Nylon halters are dangerous, if they get caught on something sometimes the horse brakes before the halter and if they are in foal a baby can get a leg caught and it's very bad. If you can't catch them without a halter on can you get hold of them long enough to safety the halters and put them back on? When you can get them you can try advance and retreat. Go to where they are comfortable being touched and when you get past there move back right away, they normally get better with that after a bit, also try scratching not patting.
I'd assume pregnant until you know they aren't. Yes, they can still show in season it's just not common, I have one who did last year and foaled 3 months later. I'd read and watch videos, it's different than goats(I think) but you're experience is great! Is there any way of putting up a camera so you can check on them at night?

Her wearing the halter right now is just so I can touch her. It took 3 of us to wrestle it on her. 😬 I can take it off her but I won't be able to get hands on her without it. I've spent the last week using the halter to catch her when Im feeding. I hook her to a lead rope let her eat then walk a small circle with her. Before I un hook her I run my hands down her back and give scratches. She's not a big fan of this especially from me, she's more receptive to my husband and our oldest son but not much more she still trys to get away. She's going to have to learn I'm not going to hurt her since I do primary care and feed for all the critters.
I know it's going to take time. The black/white mare is far more friendly and will now let me pet her without bolting just her forehead she moves away from body scratches. They both lead well once caught so they had some training and they come to feed. As for putting them in a smaller pen, they can't leave the front paddock until they get the all clear from the vet. They are still in quarantine away from the other animals. They appear healthy but ya never know. Once they get a clean bill of health they will be moved to the barn. I've been spending lots of time with them and we have made progress, they wouldn't come within 20 feet of me when they first got here. They will now take treats from me and walk up to me. It's the if they think I'm going to catch them they bolt part we are working on.
If we get surprise babies I'll definitely post pics! We got a long way to go with these girls but we are willing to put in the time and work with them. They are surprisingly super calm with kids our 4 year old is the only one who can walk up to both of them without them being afraid.

You're doing great, they'll get there.
The black and white mares udder looks like a definite could be, still has more filling to do. The other is a keep an eye on her and see if it changes.

Her wearing the halter right now is just so I can touch her. It took 3 of us to wrestle it on her. 😬 I can take it off her but I won't be able to get hands on her without it. I've spent the last week using the halter to catch her when Im feeding. I hook her to a lead rope let her eat then walk a small circle with her. Before I un hook her I run my hands down her back and give scratches. She's not a big fan of this especially from me, she's more receptive to my husband and our oldest son but not much more she still trys to get away. She's going to have to learn I'm not going to hurt her since I do primary care and feed for all the critters.
I know it's going to take time. The black/white mare is far more friendly and will now let me pet her without bolting just her forehead she moves away from body scratches. They both lead well once caught so they had some training and they come to feed. As for putting them in a smaller pen, they can't leave the front paddock until they get the all clear from the vet. They are still in quarantine away from the other animals. They appear healthy but ya never know. Once they get a clean bill of health they will be moved to the barn. I've been spending lots of time with them and we have made progress, they wouldn't come within 20 feet of me when they first got here. They will now take treats from me and walk up to me. It's the if they think I'm going to catch them they bolt part we are working on.
If we get surprise babies I'll definitely post pics! We got a long way to go with these girls but we are willing to put in the time and work with them. They are surprisingly super calm with kids our 4 year old is the only one who can walk up to both of them without them being afraid.

It will take time to get their trust, but if you are patient, you'll get it. At this stage, it's just very important not to rush the process, although you want to be consistent. If you have time, you can sit in their pasture and watch them. They, in turn, will also be watching you. Horses observe a lot, and pretty soon, the shy one of them might decide to come and see you.

I agree with what others have said above. You should definitely treat them both as in foal.

I agree with Taz re the black & white mares udder & some development. The other mares belly looks like shes carrying.

Ask as many questions as you like here , everyones really friendly :)

I agree with what others have said above. You should definitely treat them both as in foal.

I agree with Taz re the black & white mares udder & some development. The other mares belly looks like shes carrying.

Ask as many questions as you like here , everyones really friendly :)

I really appreciate it! In the dairy goat world the vulva/butt pics asking if a goat is bred can get you flogged real quick 😂

We have been feeding them like they are pregnant. I don't know how y'all do this baby watch with mares 😂 I've had them two weeks and I feel like I'm always watching for something LOL my goats are easy compared to them nice short gestation periods and huge udders you can't miss 😁

Still on Baby watch here are updated pics
The first pic (terrible angle) is the brown mare,Baby.
The second pic is the black/white, Scarlett.

Attachments

• 0617211129.jpg
    0617211129.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 0617211127.jpg
    0617211127.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 9
The Picture on the left could be showing the start of development. The one on the right looks like a maiden mares udder. The nipples looked tucked and pointed towards each other.

Just went back and read your opening post. If they are both maiden mares then the pic on the left, I would say you may very well have a foal on the way. :)

The angles are different from the last ones, I think they look about the same. In other words keep watching and see what happens. How are you doing with them?

Still on Baby watch here are updated pics
The first pic (terrible angle) is the brown mare,Baby.
The second pic is the black/white, Scarlett.
So I don't know much. Just had first foal this spring and probably drove everyone nuts here. To me, it looks like you better get them used to the barn pretty soon...Just a gut feeling looking at those pics but I don't think you will have very long to wait for two little ones. My mare looks like your Scarlett in a lot of ways. She hated me for quite some time and would kick me every chance she got. Now that she has baby she comes nicely to me. Like the others have said, sit with them. I talk to mine all the time so they will recognize my voice and let them come to me. I think these minis get passed around a lot during their lives and it takes time to gain trust. I've also had goats and they are very different from minis.

Thankfully I've made huge progress with Baby. If I go slow she will let me run my hand down her back if I do some light scratches. It's still a two man job to halter her 😂 Brushing her is coming along well. I won't say she likes it but she don't seem to hate it as much either.
Scarlett is wonderful she was always the friendlier of the two, she lets me feel her belly. I haven't got that far with Baby yet.

We did get them moved into the barn bc I was worried they would foal in the holding pen. Even though it has a shelter I feel better knowing they have their stall in the barn. They are pretty bonded and don't like to be without the other Baby more so than Scarlett.
They both have gotten bigger! Baby still don't like me directly behind her to take pics so i haven't been able to get that angle.

Attachments

• 0617211715_HDR.jpg
    0617211715_HDR.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 7
  • 0617211714.jpg
    0617211714.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 0617211718.jpg
    0617211718.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 7
So happy they are doing well with you and you have them in the barn now. Definitely watch them, I'd have a camera up in the barn if possible and be doing checks every couple of hours if they were mine from the looks of those bellies. The udders aren't close going by the book so if they are pregnant you could be losing sleep early but I like being safe. Keep us posted please.

Does this video look like her vulva is stretching? She won't let me move her tail to get a clear picture.

Attachments

• 0618211826.mp4
    38 MB
Tonight's udder pics.
Tried to up load a video above this don't think it worked. Im going to try to get some still shots from the video.

First pic on the left is Baby

Right is Scarlett

Attachments

• 0618211813a.jpg
    0618211813a.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 0618211812.jpg
    0618211812.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back