I GOTTA BE THE PERSON.. THOUGHTS??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanespony

Reaction score
So it has been a long anxious wait for this mare to drop her baby.
We don't know anything about her since we got her begining of February and we don't know a due date since last owners pasture bred her and just guessed she'd foal around end March begining of April.
Last night and this morning we got some good changes!!
I noticed last night she looks like she is starting to wax up on one teat even tho her bags are not super full. This morning her bags filled a ton and the wax like substance is still there along with her seeming to relax a ton in the vulva. I always poke around on this poor pony and keep a close eye on her lol. I noticed this morning when she went to do her morning roll her vulva would gape open as she would roll. I always watch her roll every morning cause that seems to be her thing when she comes out of the stall and that is the first time I've see that happen!
She also went from eating like a pig for the last couple weeks to now not so much anymore. Her stools are also seeming to get a little loose again.
I'm sure she still have a little bit to go but oh my is it killing me!!! What are your thoughts???
Here are some photos:
PXL_20220406_204305057.jpg
PXL_20220407_163731797.jpg
PXL_20220407_163830877.jpg

The waxing makes me think it might be really soon but they don't always follow the rules. She looks close, do you pH test her milk? That would give you a better idea. Hope you're not planning on getting much sleep, foal watch is exciting and terrifying at the same time. Good luck with a fast easy foaling and a healthy momma and baby.

The waxing makes me think it might be really soon but they don't always follow the rules. She looks close, do you pH test her milk? That would give you a better idea. Hope you're not planning on getting much sleep, foal watch is exciting and terrifying at the same time. Good luck with a fast easy foaling and a healthy momma and baby.

I've been trying to get some pH testing done on her but she doesn't wanna let me have her milk! She has it I can squeeze some out but it's a bit thick last time I tried and I can't get enough out to do the 3 part water 1 part milk with the pool strips.
As for waxing it's so hard to tell cause one she's dark in color and two it's so dry and dusty here her teats are always super dusty so I wouldn't be surprised if the waxing just comes off from walking around. I noticed she didn't have more than just little plugs when I went out just a bit ago to redo her tail. Where as this morning and last night she had a bit of waxy looking build up. Hmmmmmm. I will have to say she is get very loose quite fast and her vulva is even more droopy than it was this morning it seems.

She sounds very close if not tonight, fingers crossed for tonight. I have the pool strips that you don't have to dilute for, the tiniest bit of milk on them works. Can you get different ones close by if she doesn't foal tonight? If it works for you like it normally does for me you'll get new ones and not need them ;). It's hard to tell in the picture but it looks like that could be wax to me. Of course she could just keep going like this for a little while too....o_O

She sounds very close if not tonight, fingers crossed for tonight. I have the pool strips that you don't have to dilute for, the tiniest bit of milk on them works. Can you get different ones close by if she doesn't foal tonight? If it works for you like it normally does for me you'll get new ones and not need them ;). It's hard to tell in the picture but it looks like that could be wax to me. Of course she could just keep going like this for a little while too....o_O

My mom wanted to give her a good bath today since it reached into the 70s and the poor girl probably hasn't had one in years!
Took her for a walk while she dried and then let her loose and of course she had to roll 🙄😂
Her vulva looks like it is loosening very very fast but still not much from her bags 🤔 hopefully she's just an oddball and her bags fully fill when she foals or hours before foaling.
PXL_20220407_221819626.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220407_223356355.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220407_223559968.jpg

Personally I think you may still have a bit. If it’s true wax, you shouldn’t have a problem expressing milk since it would be leaking on its own. That udder really isn’t big enough to be truly waxing yet. But you never know for sure! Just saying it may still be a long foal watch. I’ve seen them foal on no udder so nothing is impossible but if she sticks somewhat to the rules, she probably has a bit yet.

Personally I think you may still have a bit. If it’s true wax, you shouldn’t have a problem expressing milk since it would be leaking on its own. That udder really isn’t big enough to be truly waxing yet. But you never know for sure! Just saying it may still be a long foal watch. I’ve seen them foal on no udder so nothing is impossible but if she sticks somewhat to the rules, she probably has a bit yet.

That's what I've been thinking too but it is definitely quite interesting with how loose she is getting so quickly! 🤔 She very well could be fooling us again! Baby will come at some point though lol

It is for sure! It’s just hard to base it off one sign. For instance, this mare was this elongated as a maiden more than a month before she foaled. Isn’t it ridiculous that they refuse to go by the rules lol??? You’re right about the fact that the baby WILL come one eventually lol. I just wish mares would corporate more with their owners lol.

Attachments

• 45ABE459-21A7-4546-B495-21F47A89E6F5.png
    45ABE459-21A7-4546-B495-21F47A89E6F5.png
    628.4 KB · Views: 10
How do all you do your pH testing??
I've done some reading and lots of people say to use pool strips. Some do a 3ml destilled water to 1ml milk to get the results while others just put the milk on the pH strips.
I've been doing both or well trying. I haven't been able to get enough milk from Pearl to do the destilled water version. It's like she gives and then holds it all in😂. I've done my best to estimate how much water goes with what I got though and each time the strip will show 9.0+
If I just put her milk on the strip though I've noticed it has seemed to be more accurate. The square will be a little half half colored but a lot more promising. A week ago the strip just with her milk was looking like it was showing right around 8.4
And now today I'm thinking right around 7.8 maaayybbeee lower???
What's your thoughts?
I've never done pH strips before lol.
I have also put in a photo of her udders from this morning as well.
PXL_20220409_221345298.jpg
PXL_20220409_152550065.jpg

Don't dilute for pH. You can test hardness not diluted but you're just looking for it to go up, you have to dilute for it to be accurate. Looks about 7.8 to me but they can be hard to tell.

New updates on this silly lil pony!
Her bags have become quite full and her butt is super jello even when she is tense. The inside of her vulva color has changed quite a bit and has gotten pretty red in color as well.
What is your thoughts?
PXL_20220415_023816534.jpg
PXL_20220415_022732826.jpg
PXL_20220415_022952772.jpg

PXL_20220415_153416380.jpg
Here is her pH from this morning. It's definitely lower looking than the last time I had checked. It's a little hard to tell where it's at though since it's a little two toned in color. Her bags are full and stiff but get soft quite easy after a little bit of pulling to get the milk. Other than her udder, pH, and how loose she is in the rear she is acting pretty normal. A little sluggish though 🤔

I agree, definitely lower. Are you reading taking pics after the strip drys or while it’s still wet? I can’t tell in the picture but looks a little dry. Usually there will be a specified time limit to read them. That MIGHT explain the two tones. Of course if you are checking within that time limit that throughs that idea out lol.

I agree, definitely lower. Are you reading taking pics after the strip drys or while it’s still wet? I can’t tell in the picture but looks a little dry. Usually there will be a specified time limit to read them. That MIGHT explain the two tones. Of course if you are checking within that time limit that throughs that idea out lol.

I check them immediately after though the photo was taken a little late. I will be taking another test here soon.

Latest posts

Back