I got my minis today.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
I brought my two minis home today. They are Bandit (3years) and Splash (5yrs). I am sure some of you will recognize them. They were here last year for like a month or so and then I got a mare and foal that took up a lot of time so I took them back to my cousin. I'm ready to own a mini again and ended up getting both of them. They are getting their feet done on Wednesday. And they are definately underweight. We'll get that taken care of to. We are going to worm them in the morning. These two boys are geldings. And they will be worked with on ground manners first. Once we get them at a good weight we'll start working them more on other stuff. Bandit still has his winter coat and its June already and 80-90degrees here. UGH. I hope he'll shed out soon. Worming should help with that.

We are going to change Splash's halter. I think the blue one I have will fit him better then the one he has on now. Over all, both of them are going to need some work on the ground manners. They aren't mean but they haven't been handled in a long time.

The photos- Splash is the flashy one and Bandit is of course the other one. Im glad I took before pictures because these guys will be lookin good soon and I'll be able to compare them.

6-14-08001.jpg

6-14-08002.jpg

6-14-08004.jpg

6-14-08007.jpg

6-14-08013.jpg

6-14-08011.jpg

6-14-08015.jpg

I don't know the story on these guys but they definitely look in sad shape. I am glad you rescued them and are willing to get them back to condition!

You will have a lot of fun with them!

Andrea

They are going to luv you up!!!!! Very nice!!

Congratulations on those guys! I'm sure you will have them in great shape soon!!!

Thanks. I cant wait to get them looking good. I was so nervous walking them up the road. I was afraid I'd meet a sherriff or animal control. I dont want anyone thinking that is how my animals are cared for. Oh well if that happened they could have came and seen the two horses and cow and goats that I already own. All happy and healthy.....
default_biggrin.png

I can't wait to start working with them. We are letting them get use to us and their new place for today. We'll start working on manners tomorrow. We dont have their barn done. That'll be finished tomorrow. Its suppose to be really nice so they can stay outside in their pen for tonight. I'll be glad to be able to separate them and make sure they eat their amount of hay and grain though. I'll give them their hay tonight and start their grain in the morning. I dont want to do alot of different things and cause them any problems.
default_smile.png

Im just so excited. Its been a while since I owned a mini and Im really happy to get them again.
default_smile.png

Oh yes those boys could use some lovin' from you
default_yes.gif
Bandit for sure looks like he needs to be dewormed. Can't wait to see their progress
default_yes.gif

So glad you have them now, poor boys
default_no.gif
, can't wait to see what they look like in a month or so
default_yes.gif

Sounds like you have great plans for these guys and I look forward to updated pics! Do be careful on giving grain. . . it doesn't appear they had anything that good for quite a long while.

Thanks everyone. We love them already. They are starting to come around. At first they didnt want us catching them but now they just stand there and let us walk up to them. We went ahead and wormed them today.
default_biggrin.png

You may want to clip bandit. I am sure he would feel better if you did. Good luck with your boys.
default_saludando.gif

I would clip him but he was just pulled out of a pasture. He hasn't had much handling in the past 10+ months. He needs worked with before we attempt that task.
default_smile.png
We are going to start working on basic stuff tomorrow. Leading, haltering, picking feet up, standing patiently...ect ect. Stuff that wont take alot out of them. We'll wait before trotting them and that stuff until they are at their normal weight.

I did measure them this evening. Bandit is approx 38inches and Splash is 32.5 inches.

ETA: Sorry missed the above posts. Thanks!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always bring them to my house... We get teased about being "The Simple Life Fat Farm". LOL Everybody around here could stand to lose about 5-10 pounds, humans included!!!!

They are lucky to have you.

They look very cute...can't wait to see them fattened up a little and clipped.
default_smile.png
I think they are lucky you brought them home.

Good luck with them. Please keep us updated with their progress.
default_biggrin.png

LOL I'd rather see a horse that is a bit over weight then one that is under weight.

I have a horse who could definately lose a few pounds. lol

I don't know the story behind them either, but I am glad they are with you.

This is just my oppinion. If you have a set of clippers or could borrow some this is what I would do.

They may be a little scared and please have them tied where they can not hurt anyone. I wouldn't care how they looked clipped. I would forget the head and legs until they get more use to you and the clippers.

I would try to get a strip just here and there..the brown one ( sorry forgot his name) really needs it. He may have the ugliest little hair cut he has ever had...LOL...but, I wouldn't care. If you could just get some of the hair off ( like I said a strip here and there) I think he would feel MUCH BETTER.

I am still proud of you and you should be of yourself I can tell you really care for these minis and I can not wait to see updated pictures. Sounds like they are bak into loving hands.

Latest posts

Back