I GOT A NEW COMPUTER FOR CHRISTMAS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
"LA TUSH"
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

Atleast that's his tentative name.

I'm very shocked. I never asked for a new computer, nor did I think I needed one. I've been very content with Maurice, win 98 although he does have some issues and we do make frequent trips to David's (my computer man's shop) for these issues. David gives me "Frequent Flyer" miles. I love Maurice. Of course I still love LaMar too, who has been resting in peace in my closet for the past few years too.

But on Christmas morning, among gifts with my name on them, I opened up this big black tower and just starred at it, not sure if it was really meant for me, but it was.

Seems that when Jerry went to pick up some ink for me for my Christmas cards, he and David had discussed some of Maurice's issues and David suggested that I drastically was in need of an upgrade. He said Maurice is old and tired. So instead of just giving me an upgrade, Jerry went for the full Monty and had David give me a new one. La Tush is built by David as was LaMar and Maurice.

For Mr. F. he will be pleased as punch to hear that La Tush, is Windows XP. I'm not sure how to work it at all, and I'm too scared to hook it up. I don't know what it's going to be like.

I guess I'll have to bring Maurice down to David to get all my files burned out of him. Maurice has a CD burner but I never figured out how to use it. And then spend days on end re-loading all my software and programs into LaTush. I think I'm supposed to be happy, but this big thing is scarring me to pieces.
new_shocked.gif

Oh Marty, that is a great present. Don't be scared it really won't be that much different. I'm about as computer illiterate as they come and I can run an XP so no worries for you. Maurice is ready to be retired anyway, he doesn't like going to see the doctor all the time
wink.gif

YIPPEE!!! My computer is named Gremlin. Have fun Marty! What kind is yours? Mine is a Dell. XP is great!

There is really NO difference between 98 and XP Other then XP is way more reliable and trouble free~! But all the programs all the folders and all the other things act Just like if you were using 98.... Nothing but the Windows Program itself was chanced..Everything else will look the same...But one big difference is the Speed Which would be MUCH faster then the what the 98 computer had. With way More Hard Drive capacity~! And XP has its own built in Firewall...AND ITS own Pop Up Blocker which works great.. Just make VERY SURE when you first start it up that you do ALL Window Updates~!! All the Critical Ones anyway~!

Congrats on your new and faster friend LA TUSH
aktion033.gif
biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas Marty. Jerry and David sure found the perfect gift for you.
aktion033.gif
You and LaTush will get along just fine.
yes.gif
Jump right in and have some fun.

shminifancier said:
There is really NO difference between 98 and XP Other then XP is way more reliable and trouble free~!  But all the programs all the folders and all the other things act Just like if you were using 98....  Nothing but the Windows Program itself was chanced..Everything else will look the same...But one big difference is the Speed Which would be MUCH faster then the what the 98 computer had. With way More Hard Drive capacity~!  And XP has its own built in Firewall...AND ITS own Pop Up Blocker which works great..  Just make VERY SURE when you first start it up that you do ALL Window Updates~!!  All the Critical Ones anyway~!Congrats on your new and faster friend LA TUSH
aktion033.gif

biggrin.gif

528984[/snapback]

Ahhh.....have to differ with you there, XP is A LOT BETTER. Completley different OS, no longer relies on DOS. Much more user friendly and safer.

Marty, I am so glad that you finally have a much better system. There are a few tips and tricks that you will have to do to make the system work good for you. Either email me at home or work (if it's in the afternoons).
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Jerry is chomping at the bit here to hook up LaTush like now. So I guess we are going to give it a go.

It's not any brand Reo, David builds them all in his shop. They are all custom. They sell for usually around $799., new like this, but David probably gave Jerry a deal I hope anyhow. He's a good friend. I'm wondering if this could be why I don't have the vinal siding on the barn. hmmmmm

If you don't see me back anytime soon, you'll know that I've blown my Tush sky high.......
biggrin.gif

I apologize to shminifancier, he did give you GOOD advice. I was just in a hurry to respond to Marty and didn't take the time to read his post completly
no.gif

Farmhand said:
No biggy, I know it is a busy Christmas Day for everybody. I am just now getting ready to go on a sleigh ride
aktion033.gif
Busy busy day for sure.

And now I just put on a pot of Chili to cook (Crock Pot) until I get back for the GB. Packer football this aft at 4~! CST

Marty, ...and here you thought your barn was your xmas gift
biggrin.gif
and now you have a puter on top of it. Maybe you can hook your old one up in the barn
wink.gif
I went from 98 to XP, and if I can do it ANYONE can (remember we talked about how dumb I was when it comes to puters!!
wink.gif
) Glad to hear you had a great christmas! Corinne

Thats great
aktion033.gif
..im sure it will be hard to leave the other one behind!

But think of all the money and gas money you will save from not having to be at the computer guys office every weekend ....more money to spoil timmy with!
yes.gif
yes.gif

Leeana

When I went back to college my husband was using the computer so much that we had to get one for me. I just love my computer.

I do my own web page with my computer. It is so simple.
rolleyes.gif

I went from 98 to EX and at first I HATED it-I yelled at it -I wanted to toss it!!

Now its one year later and I am used to it. Hubby has the old 98 now.

I use that stupid xp at work...had it at home but downgraded to 98....xp is much better now but first edition was just one problem on top of another.................................

Glad you got a new machine......I want to do a full reformat on my home machine and run solaris.....something simpler with less of the bells and whistles to be removed.....

I tend to gut my machines of all the extra junk....

You might want to consider making all your menus and things "classic view." It resembles Win 98. I *hate* the Start menu on XP.

Right click somewhere on the bar on the bottom where there is a blank spot

Click on Properties

Click on the Start Menu tab at top

Click on Classic Start Menu

then click OK

It puts certain items on your desktop too that are removed when the default is viewed. You gain back your shortcuts for My Computer, My Network Places and My Documents.

To reverse it

Go to Start menu

Taskbar and Start Menu Properties

Click on Start Menu tab at top

Click on Start Menu

then click OK

Thank you Yankee Minis for that very good tip!

I was having fits looking all over the desktop for the "Big E"

"Where's the big E" ????? questioned me.

"Where's that dad gum stupid Big E"?????????? I continued.

"@#$%^&*()I WANT THE BIG E NOW" !!! I pounded with frustration!

Oh yes, it's gotten very ugly here.

Maurice is over there on the kitchen table.

He wants me.

I want him.

I keep sneaking over them and changing the telephone cord back and forth like a big sneak so no one can catch me using him.

But Jerry's home so I'm on LaTush till he goes to sleep tonite.

Then, it's me and Maurice, back together again.

OH LORDY HELP ME, I'VE BECOME A CLOSET COMPUTER WEENIE.

Anymore tips, bring them on!

You can also put a "E" for Internet Exploroer down on your taskbar (next to your "start" button.

Just right click (and hold the button down) and drag it to the task bar

Great tip, Thanks Mr. F.
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking seriously of changing the name LaTush to LaCrap.........
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back