I goofed!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kippy

Reaction score
I have a black 22 month old filly or at least I did until I started leaving the minis out all day. In the space of three weeks, I've sun bleached my girl to a browny bay color in spots. While I love bays (two of my five horses are bays), Callen is supposed to be black! Before she was clipped she looked like a mini fresian. After clipping she looked like a little black thoroughbred. Now I'm not sure what she looks like. LOL Anyway, she is supposed to go to her first show ever two weeks from tomorrow. It is just one of our club shows, not something really important, but I wanted her to look her best. I've never owned a black horse before Callie, but I still should have known better. Is there anything I can do to help this? I know I could put something on her mane and tail, but that won't matter much when the rest of her is still sun bleached. I suppose I'll have to start keeping her in more. I hate to do that, but it isn't safe outside at night here so I don't have much choice.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give.

Cheryl

You could clip her again before your show..it will take the bleaching out of her body...

For the main, tail and forelock...the tack stores sell this special black spray paint for horses and you just spray it in. I use it on my horse, and since we have a show tomorrow, it is at the barn. I cant remember the name of it (will post it, once I find out..), but it works REALLY well!
yes.gif

There is acually a funny story to go with how I ended up buying that spray...

.At the Worlds last year, I opened up this spray can (dont ask why because, I really dont know WHY!!? LOL ), and i dont know what I did to it..but it sprayed RIGHT in my face!!
new_shocked.gif
It was stinging my eyes and it HURT..I thought I was going blind!! (ROFLMAO) Sooo...I RAN to the bathroom and tried to get it off!! It wouldnt come off!!! I went back and read the label..all I read was PERMANENT!! I was like AHHH!! SoOO...thats how I found out it was good, and it would last long
rolleyes.gif
because it took about 1 hour in the bathroom trying to get it off my face!! My face was SOOO red from me literally taking my finger nail and scratvhing EVERY spot off! Now that was the worst day I had at Nationals!! LOL..it was quite the sight!!

-kris

Last edited by a moderator:
At the Worlds last year, I opened up this spray can (dont ask why because, I really dont know WHY!!? LOL ), and i dont know what I did to it..but it sprayed RIGHT in my face!!  It was stinging my eyes and it HURT..I thought I was going blind!! (ROFLMAO) Sooo...I RAN to the bathroom and tried to get it off!! It wouldnt come off!!! I went back and read the label..all I read was PERMANENT!! I was like AHHH!! SoOO...thats how I found out it was good, and it would last long  because it took about 1 hour in the bathroom trying to get it off my face!! My face was SOOO red from me literally taking my finger nail and scratvhing EVERY spot off! Now that was the worst day I had at Nationals!! LOL..it was quite the sight!!
-kris
Kris, you just have to open black stuff and look inside!!!
wacko.gif
If the can says black ,it's black!! If the hoofblack say black, you don't need to open it in the house to see what's inside cuz It's Black!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Kris! I appreciate the tips - especially about opening the can. That actually sounds like something I might do. I can just picture it now. I would be black and Callen would still be brown. LOL Thanks again.

Cheryl

no problem, Cheryl... I checked the package today..and its called "Black Magic".

Pammy....yes I KNOW..I finally discovered that!! LMAO.... For those of you who are clueless....the other day, I opened up my new bottle of hoof black (curiosilty..AGAIN..lol)..and I dont know WUT happened..but it got ALL over me..IN THE HOUSE...Man was I introuble that day!! I was covered!! I really need to stop handling anything BLACK!! And then...i went to use it at the barn the next day..and spilt it on the barn floor!!
wacko.gif
yikes!!
unsure.gif

-Kris

GEEZ you guys! Sounds like you should enter Marty's DOOFUS award program!
laugh.gif

As for the Black Foal who's turn BROWN...... If you want to put her and mom through this, you'll have to keep her out of the sun between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.! This is to keep the sun from further bleaching.

Then, you need to let her fur grow over the next 2 weeks and clip her a couple of days before leaving and PRAY for the best. For her mane and tail you can always dye them or tint them black......

Good luck,

MA

Thanks Kris. I'll look for some this week.

MA - Callie is almost 2 years old so I don't suppose a little more indoor time will hurt her. Although, I'm sure she won't agree with me. I'll keep her in more and hope for some cloudy days.
laugh.gif
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and, as you said, pray for the best.

Cheryl

I don't think you have a true black.

A "true black" doesn't usually fade or bleach in the sun, but the mane, tail, and forelock will. For that, dye it.

Clip the horse and start keeping him inside during the day and that will help too.

Marty - I'm not good with colors, but I have been wondering about that too. I mean, I know Callen was a dark rich black color last year and this year even after clipping, but if a true black holds its color, what would that make Callen? Her mama is a mahagony bay and her daddy a lobo dun. Daddy looks almost black, but not nearly as dark as Callie. Callen doesn't have any dun characteristics that I can see. She is black from "nose to toes" with no stipes or marking of any kind -well - other than her brown areas. LOL

Anyway, thanks for all the advice everyone.

Cheryl

Latest posts

Back