I get so defensive!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
I am also a member of a few other general horse forums.

I am so upset at peoples opinions of minis.
default_sad.png

There was a post where people were saying that minis are a waste of space etc.

Comments along the line of....

"they are useless, you can't ride them"

" if we could choose to get rid of any horse breed, it would be minis".

" why on earth would you want a perfectly good horse, made into miniature?"

I take it personally and can't help but think that if these so called 'horse lovers' opened their minds, they would also see just how wonderful these little horses are.

I came back saying that you don't have to be able to ride or show a horse to love it. Just like owning a dog or a cat. You don't ride those pets but people still love them.

I actually am very offended and almost feel as if people are criticizing my children! It hurts and feel as if I am spinning my wheels defending our little horses.
default_no.gif

I often share photos on this particular board thinking that people enjoyed Bailey and Willow. I guess I was mistaken.

Just for the record, I love horses of all shapes and sizes.

Am i being to sensitive?

xox Leonie xox

They just don't know what they're missing. When I got my first mini, I knew I'd love him but at the time, I thought there was no way I'd enjoy the minis as much as my riding horses. OF course, it turned out I enjoy them even more than full sized horses
default_biggrin.png

As Jill said, they just don't know what they are missing. Besides, maybe they're just jealous because GOOD QUALITY miniatures are still selling and bring a GOOD price.
default_yes.gif

I think you should give them the link to LB and let them see for themselves!
default_wink.png

My mom was really unsure of minis at first, she didn't think she would like them, now she says she'd rather have a few minis any day over a 'big guy', and not just because they eat less and take up less space!
default_biggrin.png

I ditto what Jill posted. I agree that a TRUE horse lover loves them in all sizes. I have biggies and minis and enjoy them both. I have had many people say "but you cant ride them" and I say "AND YOUR POINT IS??" Then I try to explain to them that you can do just about EVERYTHING with a mini except ride it (only small children can ride some). They are amazed when I tell them all the classes the Mini shows have!

Those people who make the negative comments regarding Mini's being "useless" need to watch the video in this link!!!

Lancelot, The Leopard Appy Mini Doing Dressage

Last edited by a moderator:
I ditto what Jill posted. I agree that a TRUE horse lover loves them in all sizes.

I have had many people say "but you cant ride them" and I say "AND YOUR POINT IS??"
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Loving and owning horses isn't just about riding, and if you aren't riding who CARES what size the horse is????

My vet gets a huge kick out of the huge ribbons and trophies we get! He does eventing and for all his and his horse's hard work -- they get a tiny ribbon
default_biggrin.png
(not that it's not hard work to have the minis looking good -- but it is still funny when you contrast it to what he's out there doing)
default_yes.gif

I sold my riding horses to make room for my miniatures.

We love our little horses and the pleasures of "carting".

In this part of the country miniatures command a much better price in the market than their larger counterparts!!!!

I think some of the big horse people might be a tad jealous!

Another thing, which may not be appreciated by everyone, but mini people as a whole don't always do a great job of presenting themselves as serious horse people. Using incorrect terms, flaunting poor quality stallions, "training" to drive in only 30 minutes, etc., just fuels the fire for big horse people who want to take shots.

I think some people who say these thngs have no idea what can be done with a mini and when told cant belive it, I live in horse racing and breeding country and come across alot of people when they find out I have minis say what a waste of space and somtimes I just turn around and say people could say that bout all the race horses that never suceed and what a waste of time and money on a horse they dont evan like half the time atleast mine all have a porpose, are loved and have a great life. I have big and little and think also a real horse lover loves them no matter there size.

I agree with Jil, once again, LOL! I had a friend over last week (she had never been to my house before) who freaked out over my Mini's. She said "I have never seen mini's that looked like "Horses!". We have several mutual friends that have Mini's but they look like Pony's. Not that that is a bad thing but most people who see a Mini that is unshaved and overweight they instantly think it is a Pony. Also I have another friend who went to a Mini show with me and could not believe how the horses looked at a show......."they are gorgeous just like the big horses", she said. SO some people just dont realize how awesome Mini's are!

Hi Maplegum,

I am a fellow member of at least a couple of those same forums
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

The original poster on that thread was deliberately baiting people and she does it on a regular basis. I was attacked on the same thread, after I took offence to her (and another poster's comments). She targets people. You will notice that the OP has been a bit quieter since her buddy was taken off Mod duties.

Having their own opinions is all well and good, but the comments that were flying around were not nice. The OP had a large rap over the knuckles last week over un-called-for nasty comments. If you want to chin-wag about minis at any time just email me or catch me on MSN. My MSN is my email address in my profile on that forum.
default_yes.gif

Sassy1 (Sassie_pony)

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed to bring a biggie into the nursing home once a week like I do my mini! I remember a year or two ago on another forum there was a post about how minis were how grown ups play my little pony. Truth be told, how many of us have big horses that don't have a real use? Just have them for fun. Most big horses are a luxury too. Kind of like a four wheeler. We love them all, no matter what their use!
default_smile.png

Jill makes a good point. People that continue to promote less than desireable Minis in less than desireable ways don't help boost our breed. Rather than getting defensive about our animals why not go out and exhibit them at their best? I know when Willie and I arrived at the driving event last year we were treated with less than respect and everyone there just assumed that I was about to go out and kill an out of condition horse on a very tough course. After we won there were quite a few people that came over to take another look at the little horse that was VERY competitive at their sport and cost a whole heck of a lot less to keep than their bigger horses - he was somewhat MORE intriguing to them then.
default_biggrin.png
I spent a lot of time preparing Willie to be fit enough to do that competition. These horses are capable of a lot more than people realize but we need to put the effort into making them their best. No matter what you do with them whether it is loving them as pets, breeding/halter or performance AIM HIGH.

My hubby likes to say the why if you cant ride minis also. But I just reminded him that she is also a great pasture buddy that eats less than half of what my big one eats. I told him it wouldnt be a problem getting another full size horse, and he smiles.
default_smile.png

Thankfully the other sites I belong to think Bonny is cute and cuddly and I havent gotten a bad response at all.

But I would be offended if people bashed my mini. Even though she is giving me this foal or not to foal stress right now, lol, she is so sweet. When we walk on the street people will come up and ask about her and if they can pet her because she is small and less intimidating. My big mare is just as sweet but people comment on her beauty rather than wanting to touch.

Besides how many biggies can go to nursing homes? Be seeing eye horses? Thats a great community service minis can do!

Minis are just wonderful!
default_wub.png

I usually have one extreme or another. People that go bonkers over them or people that say "what kind of person buys a mini?
default_gaah.gif
"

I tell them either a really, really short person, or people that love horses but don't want the workload, there are alot of people in the over 40 catagory that are just getting started with them and love them!

I love the my pretty pony comment by lilhorselady. I use to braid those little manes and tales until they fell out.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Carolyn

It always smarts a bit when something you love gets dissed. No matter how secure you are, you know that the person offering that opinion is saying, in effect, "Your opinion has no value to me." It is a real slap in the face, whether it is meant to be or not. Respecting other people means respecting their opinions and their right to an opinion, even if it's different from yours! You can imagine what my opinion is of people who would say such things about something someone obviously loves!

As to minis being worthless because you can't ride them, since when has being able to sit on something been a way of determining value! You don't generally sit on diamonds, are they worthless, too?
default_biggrin.png

I agree with everyone, at one point in time i felt the same way about minis i jused to think "woudlnt it be wierd to have a bunch of littl horses running around", however ive completley changed veiws since ive bought the minis, now i could barely live life without them. my cousin and some other big horse people like my horses but i guess everyone has their opions... but that women should not have been so mean about minis just because she dosent particuriallry (sp?) like them

and besides what about all those people out there who are just breeding quarter horses for halter classes, they dont ride them do they?
default_biggrin.png

and their all just jealuos because our horse are cheaper to care for and fetch lareger purchase
default_biggrin.png

they have know idea what their missing out on
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

Yep, lots of mean people on the internet and the world in general, but lots of nice ones too! Some people just need attention and will bash others to get it...pretty sad. Most people have no idea whatsoever that there are fun classes at the shows, or that minis are so smart & gentle with kids/elderly/disabled, and are such affectionate little things. Even my chiropractor (who has TBs and Morgans) was taken aback when I told her that we had minis, but at least she was respectful about asking "why?".

I started out riding QH and grade/Indian ponies at my grandpa's ranch, then was away from riding for many years. After being intrigued by minis since I was 12 (many years ago, lol), we got into minis in 2006 and absolutely love them. We were amazed at how much more affectionate they generally are than any big horse we'd ever been around. So last year we stumbled into several fantastically bred Arabians, and you know what? Yes, they are fun, but nowhere near as fun as our minis. Sadly, with my knee injury last year and the news from the doc that my knee will never be back to 100%, I'm coming to the realization that the big horses are not only too much work for me with a bum knee, but are more hazardous for me to be around since I can't get out of the way quickly. So I may sell my big babies, but that's OK because my heart is with the wee ones!
default_wub.png

when i brought my first mini home, gary just smiled and rolled his eyes at me. within, ohhh, ONE DAY, he was smitten and he was never even a horsey guy to begin with. when he got too sick to go outside to visit the boys, i brought them up on the deck to peek in at him. it always put a smile on his face and if these guys never do anything else for the rest of their lives, that alone makes me love them even more.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back