I get so defensive!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A TRUE horse lover, appreciates each type for their purpose. Accept the idiots at their level.....

I personally would never ever consider owning a draft breed, but I still appreciate them.

Miniature horses and miniature shetlands have a purpose.......just as the draft horses do. The little ones can be cart driven and give pleasure to people who are unable to ride a full size........for what ever reason. They also allow children to learn about equine without being intimidated. (I point that all out to people all the time.)

I also ask people who have a full sized horse in their back yard........."Do you love your horse?".......They reply, "Yes."..........."How often do you RIDE your horse????" (They often just give me a bug-eyed stare.)

It is easy to get defensive, im always upfront with big horse people that i have no interest in big horses or riding. There is more to horses then a saddle and bridle. I always ask them, if horses were not able to be ridden ..would you still own them? In big horses if the horse is not trained to ride, then its worthless to most people.

I wanted something different and i after spending time around big horses and yes, i did riding horses when i was a kid, but i did not enjoy it at all really. Not nearly as much as i enjoy my miniature halter horses
default_smile.png
. I have fun doing it, i enjoy it and that is what matters.

Ever wonder if the HUGE mini ribbons are some sort of subconscious compensation for the size of the horse??
default_whistling.gif
default_xkngt.gif

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Bad BAD Leia

default_nono.gif
default_nono.gif
default_nono.gif
default_nono.gif
default_nono.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Joy

My father-in-law always said, "You can't fight with stupid people." Obviously, this applies to those people who made the negative comments!
default_wink.png

what i love is that the big horse people do not beleive that a mini is intimidating to big horses then a few miniutes later the mini is out their chasing cicking and bitting the big horse gol (giggle out loud)
default_yes.gif

Here are a few things that I like about mini's that you can't do with the big guys.

#1 You can brush both sides of a mini without moving. (And I'm short.)
default_wink.png

#2 You can braid their mane without finding something to stand on.

#3 You don't have to try to lift a 50+ pound saddle up on their back.

Seriously, the first mini I ever saw was at a horse show (I was there with my biggun, Dee). Naturally I walked over to the minis for a closer look. After talking to their owner for a few minutes and checking them out I turned to my friends and said "When I'm too old for Dee, this is what I'm gonna get".

I still have my beautiful Dee because I love him but, bless his heart, he hasn't been ridden in 3 years now. And I've got to admit my minis get most of my attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too used to own and ride the big ones, showed at local open shows, trail rode, team penned, did some jumping, just loved all of it. Then after my gelding passed away at 26 yrs. old, my life was more focused on raising my children. I missed that barn smell terribly. Four years later, I got my first miniature. I've been asked, " Why would you own something you can't ride?" or " What do you do with him, just look at him?" I don't mind telling about how wonderful they are and what owning Scout has done for my well being & my soul.
default_yes.gif
It's most frustrating when the questions aren't based on a real curiousity, but rather in a condescending nature. I love all horses no matter what size, color or breed, but to some people, horses are more of a status symbol to fulfill one's need to impress.
default_rolleyes.gif
People like that will never get it, no matter what. To those people, I love to borrow the phrase used by Harley Davidson owners, " If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand."
default_wink.png

A horse is a horse. ALL breeds have they're own advantages, and ALL should be appreciated and loved. Sure, bigger horses can be ridden, but minis can do everything else! And they make some pretty neat service animals! You can't walk a Shire into a nursing home, now, can you?

I think someone should print this whole thread out and mail it in a big fat envelope to all those people who decided the horse industry would be better without "those useless things!"
default_rolleyes.gif

I agree 100% with Jill, Lori, Leia and Molly!
default_aktion033.gif
Well said.

I used to get upset when they were called ponies. Now I wish they were shetland bred, as the new shetland ponies are Stunning, to say the least! Most people just don't know that.
default_wink.png

I love miniatures and Shetlands, and I have found my breed of choice.
default_wub.png
They are the greatest in my eyes. I also have SO much fun with the Mini people!

Latest posts

Back