I get so defensive!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were coming home from a horse show years ago. A trucker got on his speaker (whatever they called that thingy) & asked us what we do with a miniature horse - you CAN'T ride it? Another trucker chimed in & said "you CAN'T ride your dog either"......
default_poke.gif
........... Don't take it personally. You can always tell them it's like tasting ice cream - you can't know until you try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have big horses and minis, but I was lucky enough to be born into minis. I guess always having the minis made me a little ungrateful, because I was sure I was missing out on something (and every one of my horse friends reassured me that I was). I started riding at a very young age, got my first big horse, rode and showed every day and every weekend, then started breeding a handful of QH's. By the time I was an adult, I had realized that while I loved the big guys, pound for pound I just got more from the minis. Riding is nice every once in a while, but I'm still young and yet my back is shot from that and other sports. All I have left of the biggies are two pasture ornament mares and my show gelding who is leased out. I love them, but honestly I feel like I can do MORE with the minis. A lot of my mini friends started as big horse people, and I think that makes a pretty clear statement.

We had race horses and moved to the minis. I get my horse fix at cheaper rate
default_smile.png
Love them!!

I wonder how much of that attitude I will run into this weekend at a charity event I agreed to bring one of our minis to? The organizer specifically wanted a versatile mini to show what they can do. Let's hope the spectators will appreciate one that can do trail/halter obstacle, jump, do a bit of liberty performance and drive a cones course against the biggies. And she was once mistaken for a Pintabian in a photo, so I don't think they will confuse her with a pony. I see this as a golden opportunity to show other people - especially horse people - what minis can look like and do. That is also why I show mostly at Pinto shows. Oh, and I do have a perfectly wonderful riding horse that I have ridden twice this year.

My vet gets a huge kick out of the huge ribbons and trophies we get! He does eventing and for all his and his horse's hard work -- they get a tiny ribbon
default_biggrin.png
(not that it's not hard work to have the minis looking good -- but it is still funny when you contrast it to what he's out there doing)
default_yes.gif
Oh, tell me about it! :DOH! It drives me insane to work that hard for three days, risking injury to my horse and pushing both of us to the max and then get this little tiny piddly ribbon a 4-H show would be ashamed to give out. Come on people, I want a neck-sashy-thingy!! Or at least something tri-colored for first place. Or even something with three streamers and more identification than the words "First Place?" :arg! Is it too much to ask to put the name of the division on there?
default_rolleyes.gif
Hehehe. There's no points or year end awards so you'd think they'd make the ribbons themselves nicer.

Ever wonder if the HUGE mini ribbons are some sort of subconscious compensation for the size of the horse??
default_whistling.gif
default_xkngt.gif

Jill said:
Another thing, which may not be appreciated by everyone, but mini people as a whole don't always do a great job of presenting themselves as serious horse people. Using incorrect terms, flaunting poor quality stallions, "training" to drive in only 30 minutes, etc., just fuels the fire for big horse people who want to take shots.
default_yes.gif

Nevertheless, people who say things like the ones quoted in the original post here are really being rude. I happen to think breeding 17h warmblood monsters is insane, but do you catch me putting their horses down as "too big for their own health," "not natural," and "moose-like?" No! It isn't what I'd choose for myself but I respect those who do want that and can always find something nice to say about their horse. A true horse lover might be confused by minis but wouldn't put them down as needing to be destroyed for the error of living. I mean, geez! Judgmental, much??
default_wacko.png

We're awfully lucky here in the NW. The minis have already proven to our fellow CDE competitors just how much they're capable of so the only ones being scrutinized are their drivers. If you prove you're a real horsewoman then they accept you, no questions asked. "Mini people" really do have a poor reputation in the larger horse community and it's important that we work to change that.

Good PR people, good PR!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

When I went from big horses to minis all I really wanted was a horse around that I could love (and afford to keep.) Like other big horse owners, I had little idea of what a mini was capable of. Now I'm loking forward to driving- a dream of mine- thanks to mini Trigger. The folks who trash-talk miniatures are simply ignorant and don't really love horses just because they are horses, like we do.

I know SO many people that "look down" on miniatures (figuratively as well as literally, lol) but that was also admittedly the attitude of some of the current miniature horse owners before they got into minis. And the great majority of those that I know may still have full-size horses, as do I, but they do MUCH more with the miniatures because the minis are just so much more fun.

I try not to take those snide attitudes personally-- and trust me I've run into them a LOT since I used to work at a race horse barn *and* lived near an equestrian park so I got constant comments about my minis like "get a REAL horse!"--- I just let those comments roll off my back and smiled.
default_yes.gif

Jill said:
Another thing, which may not be appreciated by everyone, but mini people as a whole don't always do a great job of presenting themselves as serious horse people. Using incorrect terms, flaunting poor quality stallions, "training" to drive in only 30 minutes, etc., just fuels the fire for big horse people who want to take shots.
default_yes.gif

Nevertheless, people who say things like the ones quoted in the original post here are really being rude. Leia

Well I think more then rude it is simply honest. Many don't like to hear it but the truth is many mini owners give themselves a bad name among experienced big horse people with antics they show and the things they say.

You being concerned about handling a 17 hand stallion does not mean that those that are capable and choose to are a joke- I guess I don't get the comparison

No no, I meant the ORIGINAL post at the start of this thread, not the one I quoted!
default_new_shocked.gif
I was agreeing with the one I quoted.

Leia

I was at a mini show this past weekend and they had a class called "I want to show a horse." It was non-rated of course and there was no entry fee. The asked over the loud speaker in the barns who would be willing to allow their horse to be shown by a spectator so I volunteered my gelding. It ended up there were 19 entries in the class!!! All these people who just happened by the show or were there watching their relatives/friends/etc. got into it! It was a blast!!! The lady that took Binky in the ring got 4th place and she was THRILLED with her engraved cup and ribbon!!! She's hooked!
default_yes.gif

What other breed could you allow a totally non-horsey person to just take the lead and walk them in a class??? There were mentally and physically challenged children and adults whe entered also and this one young man who got 5th was beside himself with joy!
default_wub.png
He held up his cup and ribbon for the crowd to see and everyone was cheering. It was the best part of the weekend.
default_yes.gif

I was at a mini show this past weekend and they had a class called "I want to show a horse." It was non-rated of course and there was no entry fee. The asked over the loud speaker in the barns who would be willing to allow their horse to be shown by a spectator so I volunteered my gelding. It ended up there were 19 entries in the class!!! All these people who just happened by the show or were there watching their relatives/friends/etc. got into it! It was a blast!!! The lady that took Binky in the ring got 4th place and she was THRILLED with her engraved cup and ribbon!!! She's hooked!
default_yes.gif

What other breed could you allow a totally non-horsey person to just take the lead and walk them in a class??? There were mentally and physically challenged children and adults whe entered also and this one young man who got 5th was beside himself with joy!
default_wub.png
He held up his cup and ribbon for the crowd to see and everyone was cheering. It was the best part of the weekend.
default_yes.gif

That would be SOOO cool! I'd definitely volunteer Sunny!

Lucy

No, you are not being insensitive. They don't know what they are missing, they are very ignorant. :stupid I used to ride and have had a couple saddle horses, but I loved to drive my morgan. I was always a little anxious though about getting hurt. Then years went by that I did not have horses at all and then I decided that it was past time to get my kids involved. I found though that having MS, I did not have the strength to safely work around big horses (all of 14 3 hands
default_smile.png
) and in time met a wonderful new friend that has minis. One look, and I was hooked.
default_wub.png
They are so intelligent and fun to watch, drive and work with. And whats more, even with the ones who are not even halter broke, I feel very good working around them and in 2 yrs, have had my share a bruises, but alot of fun therapy!
default_yes.gif
So my hat is off to people like Sue Brooks of Riverdance Miniatures who got me going and has provided alot of support and encouragement! Feel sorry for those who don't know a good thing when they see it!

Barb

I've often told people, "The only thing I can't do with my minis is ride them, and if all I wanted to do was ride, I'd buy a bike!"

When two of Keith's female coworkers told him minis were worthless, he replied "Well...and I know a lot of worthless people."

I will add, though...

two dear friends who own minis frequently make disparaging comments about our tiny dogs...hmmm... (and both read this forum -- you know who you are!)

You being concerned about handling a 17 hand stallion does not mean that those that are capable and choose to are a joke- I guess I don't get the comparison
It wasn't about handling a 17 hand horse, stallion or otherwise. My point was merely that we all have particular types or styles of horse that we like and just because we don't see the point of breeding a horse to be smaller or larger than what one person considers practical doesn't mean that other people don't enjoy that size of equine and see them as being perfect just the way they are. So just the same way I keep my mouth shut about big honkin' warmbloods, they should offer us the same courtesy regarding our minis. That's all! (I don't actually have anything against warmbloods by the way, that was simply the closest comparison I could come up with.)

And Susanne...hehehehe!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

I have to agree. Although there is a certain amount of poor quality horses, poor training, and ignorance in other breeds it is not nearly as prevalent as in minis. Because they are so small everyone thinks they can own one, train one, breed one, etc.........even if you know nothing about horses at all. Minis are perceived the way "mini people" in general make them perceived.

If you love your horses and are happy with what you have you shouldn't let what others say make you defensive or upset. Simple as that! Don't waste your energy on things you cannot change. Just smile and go on about your business.

Wow, I posted this message before I headed to bed last night and I'm thrilled at the amount of responses this morning (remember, I'm in Australia, different time zone).

It's amazing what a good nights sleep can do to clear the mind along with the support and comments from my friends here.

Perhaps I am too frail. I need to toughen up and grow a thicker skin I guess.

I just never realised that there are so many horse people out there who just don't care for minis. Like I have said, as a horse lover, I love them in all shapes and sizes. They are the most beautiful, majestic animals..even at only 30 inches tall.
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone. I knew I could count on my friends here to make sense of it all.
default_wub.png

xox Leonie xox

Yeah, but the BEST part is going to an open show and showing on halter agaimst them. All I heard before the class was "isn't it CUTE???"

"Cute" got third out of twenty-something QHs and Paints....
default_biggrin.png

heh heh heh

The looks I got AFTER the class....
default_wink.png

It was WORTH it.

Lucy

I have always been a horse lover. In my early 20's I did Hunter Jumping, and Hunter Pacing in New England. We had over 500miles of connected trailes right off the stable grounds. It was wonderful!! Then I moved to Minnesota. There, most of the trails we had to haul our horses to.
default_wacko.png
(more land here than back home).

I got involved with Morgans, as I had always loved the breed, and they are big around here. I bought several really nice mares and paid stud fees to top stallions and had some very nice babies. I hired one of the top trainers and my first foal that was shown won a World Reserve Championship. I just loved what I was doing and thought I would never give it up. I bred for the high stepping performance horse as well as halter.

I got a couple of Mini's "for the fun of it". One was a black filly (as I had always wanted a black horse). Each year I would send one or two Morgans out to a trainer. (very expensive!!) Then I started going to a couple of Mini shows, bought some better Mini's and started showing them. I used to tell my Morgan friends that it was fun, but I would never give up the Morgans.

Well, I no longer have any Morgans. I found that the Mini's were a lot less expensive and I could train them myself. I did not have to have a trainer to enjoy going to shows, breeding was easier and much less expensive. I no longer had to have semen shipped in,(very expensive to do with stud fees and vet bills. It was nothing to drop at least $5,000 to get one mare bred. I even had one mare that we did embryo transfer with. Each of her foals cost me a minimum of $10,000 to get on the ground).

I found I was more involved with the Mini's and-------- the worst that could happen is that I got some bruses. Not broken bones like I got when training Morgan foals and 3 year olds.

As I got older, I realized that I could still be in horses, but not fear that I would get really injured. I live here alone and take care of all of the horses alone. If I want to go out on a horse, I take a driving horse out. I also find that I do not have the time to ride and that I do not miss it at all..

I LOVE THE MINI'S!!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back