I don't know what to do...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal...

Spice right now is in driving training. I doubt he will be shown much, we might do some local fairs...that sort of thing. But mainly he's just going to be a pleasure horse.

So...as some of you may know I also want to do drive pairs, although I want Spice totally solid in the cart before I even think of hooking him up with another horse. So that would be a minimum of a year as he's only just in the beginning stages of driving training right now, plus factor in the winter where it's hard to work as it snows and gets dark fast!!! I'm not even sure if he would be good with driving as a pair.

At the same time I also want to adventually get a pony (I'm thinking around 38"-around 48" or so. I would like to do maybe combined driving events and there's also some driving trials and such done up here. Also again lots of pleasure driving.

I need to get a new horse fairly soon as I recently sold my mare and Spice (other than my parents, myself the horses that go by his paddock and his outings to neighbouring minis houses he is by himself). I don't like seeing him alone, he doesn't mind it but horses are herd animals and I just don't really aproove of him being alone.

BUT my biggest concern is whether or not Spice will be happy. Somtimes he's top dog and somtimes not but I want him to be totally happy. I don't want anymore of what happened to him last night (refer to the "Spice got kicked in the teeth" thread).

We're planning on moving to more land in a year or two and so I'm thinking maybe getting a small pony now and then get into team driving once we've moved because by then I know Spice will be really solid. Also either way I'm going to have to buy a new cart and harness.

Now also keep in mind considering I'm going to be doing a lot of pleasure driving (both in the ring and out of the ring) and the fact that I'm 5ft10 I've been told by many many people that my driving horse needs to be a minimum of 32" tall. Preferably 33-34" tall. Spice is 32".

So what is your opinion? What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know a whole lot about driving....especially the training part. My experience is limited to getting behind a trained horse and going......just for fun and parades.

I do know that if you are planning a driving TEAM, you need to focus on finding another horse as close to Spice's height as possible.

MA

Well....so...Want to get another horse, but don't know whether to get a team mate or a large mini/small pony?

In that case, I would wait to see how Spice handles his driving training--will he make a pair or not? Would two of him(assuming you get a good match) be enough to drive a strong marathon with you and a gator?

And would he be able to do a CDE alone....as I would suggest driving single CDE first...

On the other hand, maybe go get the pony and wait on the pairs. Pairs not only requires new equipment...there's more of it too.

I would suggest a mini/pony that is just under 38-39" at the withers if you want to have something that big. That way you can compete in the VSE division, which is much easier on times/dist. etc. Or go ahead and get a 12hh+ pony that would be able to do the pony dist and times easy. The middle ranges are in 'no-mans' land--has to be a good fast pony to make the pony times, as well as enough strength to pull you and a gator at those speeds.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking that I might just wait on getting Spice a team mate. That way by the time we move and have room for more horses Spice will be (hopefully) totally solid driving as a single. Instead get a big mini/small pony. I think somthing over 36" but under 44". I doubt I'd actually end up doing CDE but you never know.

Now comes the chore of finding one I like and that Spice also likes!!!! Are there any shetland breeders in British Columbia?

Latest posts

Back