I did my 1st sheath cleaning!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
1st time, ever! I had Bailey tied up grooming him and I thought I'd give it a try.

He didn't drop his boy bits down so I just got up there and dug around.
default_whistling.gif

I don't know what was more disturbing...

A. Bailey enjoyed it
default_wink.png

B. I enjoyed it.
default_blush.png

Seriously, I love squeezing stuff like pimples etc. I got an amazing amount of goopy stuff out of there.
default_new_shocked.gif

Now, is this normal? I didn't find a bean as such but I found heaps of tacky thick stuff. No bad smell. I just dragged it out with my fingernails. It was a dark purple/dark red colour. Is that OK? I'm thinking that it may be congealed old blood from when he was gelded. Or is this the colour of the goopy stuff anyway?

My poor sons were almost puking.
default_smileypuke.gif
I showed them the goop on the end of my finger and they will never be the same. A vision I don't think they will ever wipe from their minds!
default_wacko.png

If someone could tell me that what I dragged out of his sheath was normal, I be grateful.
default_smile.png

Sounds like smegma to me!
default_aktion033.gif
Now the only problem is getting that smell out of your fingernails.... :DOH!

Leia

Oh God, now I have just read and discovered that the bean isn't actually in the sheath, it's in the penis! The part where the pee comes out right?

That can't feel good digging away in there.
default_new_shocked.gif
I mean....that's a small opening right?

Have changed my mind about searching for the 'bean'. It's clean enough! :DOH!

Yes, the bean is in the glands penis
default_smile.png
I used to have a picture with explicit detail of a stallion's flared glans, it makes it VERY easy to see where the bean hides. Picture the glands like a teacup with a straw in it. The straw is the urethra (where the urine comes out), and the bean hides in the cup, around the urethra (actually, they hide in the dorsal-most area, that is, the space closest to his belly above his urethra). Let me know if you want more detail and/or picture
default_smile.png

That is hilarious!

But I think you need to go back for the bean, just use one finger. I think that's the most important part of sheath cleaning, is getting the bean out. . . that's what can cause them some problems.

Good luck!
default_biggrin.png

I was just noticing a couple of mine need to be cleaned. Want to come do them??? I think I may take them to the vet and have him do it!
default_biggrin.png

Yes, the bean is in the glands penis
default_smile.png
I used to have a picture with explicit detail of a stallion's flared glans, it makes it VERY easy to see where the bean hides. Picture the glands like a teacup with a straw in it. The straw is the urethra (where the urine comes out), and the bean hides in the cup, around the urethra (actually, they hide in the dorsal-most area, that is, the space closest to his belly above his urethra). Let me know if you want more detail and/or picture
default_smile.png
So Nathan, it's in the foreskin kind of area??? There are so many ' bits ' up there! If you could get some photos I'd really appreciate it. Email them to me if you don't want to post them here.

I just don't want to go sticking my finger where I shouldn't.
default_new_shocked.gif

Would he already have a bean formed at his age? 18 months old?

What have I started here! :DOH! I never did this for my BIG gledings....never!

god i feel for ya!!!!!

my horse has been getting on really weird

he is kicking out like a jabbing sorta kicking ,

constantly as if something was really annoying him

he has a dirty $%^^& so i went in to try and clean it and he sat dog like a dog!

poo what a smelly job!

i think ill wait and see what else i can do

the funny thing is , this has only started to happen since he was gelded?.....

time for a new thread i think

OK, I have to post this for any of you that have never seen it. It's the sheath cleaning song! You sing it to the tune of "Hello Mother, Hello Father". (the camp song)
default_biggrin.png

How's it hangin'?

So much cleaner.

Aren't you glad I

washed your wiener?

I'll admit it's

kinda creepy

that I had to stick my arm up in your pee-pee.

It was sticky.

It was gunky.

It felt icky.

It smelled funky.

It was cruddy,

it was crusty--

when you stuck it out, it creaked like it was rusty.

After half an

hour of toilin'

and of squirtin'

baby oil in,

you're as fresh there

as a daisy.

Either this means I love you or else I'm crazy!!!

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
OMG Thank you so much! I hate mondays! but because of you this monday will be different!! lol

Thanks Sarah~

default_new_rofl.gif

Now, seriously--- how DO you get the sheath to drop? I ended up taking my gelding to the vet ! I couldn't get him cleaned out for nothin' and he was standing so calmly.

Peggy

default_new_rofl.gif

Now, seriously--- how DO you get the sheath to drop? I ended up taking my gelding to the vet ! I couldn't get him cleaned out for nothin' and he was standing so calmly.

Peggy
Ohhh Peggy, I have no idea. :DOH!

You do mean the penis don't you? I managed to finally get hold if it, but Bailey kept sucking it back up. It's like the black hole up there.
default_new_shocked.gif
It's sucked up, never to be seen again...well at least until I'm not looking!

Bailey lets me do the sheath without a problem. But to be able to get that penis to drop is another story. There is so much crusty stuff on it that I just have to pick off! It's become an obsession now. Poor horse. OK maybe not a 'poor horse' cause I think he likes it.
default_rolleyes.gif

Some horses will drop for you if you rub their sheath and belly softly. Others require a mare (studs) or acepromazine. Never, ever, give ace to a stallion, it can cause penile paralysis which can result in amputation of the penis. In a big horse you can lube up your hand in dive right in to the sheath and clean things inside.

As far as where you want to clean... this is what the glands penis looks like on your average pony (enlarged 10x, since this is a quarter horse!) The red circle is the urethra. You do not want to stick anything in there!

2a.jpg

Most ponies will look more like this picture, with a very small glands with little extra space. This guy, on the other hand, became the model because he's so easy to see.

This is the area where the bean hides.

1a.jpg

The easiest way to clean the bean out is to use your thumb to "flip" the glands out of the way.

1.jpg

The little circle you see inside that area is the direticulum (di re tick u lum). That's where the bean is formed. It consists of bacteria, smegma, and debris, and can cause pain and pressure on the sensitive glands.

When you wash the sheath/penis/glands, do not use soap or one of the commercial products like Excaliber. Too much soap can kill the "good" bacteria, allowing the "bad" bacteria to take over and cause an infection. I suggest using plain water, and possibly some KY Jelly. The KY will help remove all the crud. If you do use soap, make sure that you rinse very, very well. Any soap left behind can cause irritation.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd be cleaning Pogo's sheath myself to save money, after reading all of this and seeing the pictures, I think I'll be letting the vet do it......

It really is easy, honestly! Not really worth paying the vet $40 unless the horse really, really doesn't like being touched there.

Oh, yes, Maplegum, thank you for catching that error for me. :DOH!

Peggy

Latest posts

Back