I could use some good thoughts and prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
Well forum family, I could use some good thoughts and prayers sent this way. Yesterday around 5-6 in the evening I looked at my big horse gelding and knew immediately he was off. Thinking it was gas colic, I Walked him, took him for a trailer ride, he passed some manure, passed some more in his stall figured he was ok and I gave him a bit of soaked hay. Come 10 pm he was uncomfortable and realized there was more going on. My choice was to drive to the vet clinic and pick up banamine or drive in with my boy since the vet had to meet me at the clinic anyhow.

Went to the clinic with him, attending vet said it appeared to be colic but realized there was a blockage when he rectaled him......tube, oil, banamine, went back again 10am, tube oil, rectal, hydrate, sent home with bags of fluid, but when it came time to run a bag at home the cath line had pulled out of the vein ( it was a short one, not sure why she didn't use the standard length ) so....off we went to the facility that does the 24/7 care, my vets were willing to put a new line in,but there was no gaurantees it would stay, he would remain comfortable and I felt constant monitoring and a constant drip would benefit him more.

Please send all the prayers you can for my boy Cal, for those of you that remember, he is the gypsy vanner colt I got last year. He is such a sweet boy, I am just hoping and praying things resolve.

So sorry to hear this. I know how scary it is. I will pray for you and your boy and I hope he will be ok.

Thanks guys, keep them comin.

As of 7 this morning, he is comfortable and showing no colicy signs, has some gut motility but still no manure production, he is well hydrated and urinating and his bloodwork looks good, no reflux when he was tubed late last night so in went more oil. It is a sit and wait thing at this point, but please keep the prayers coming, he needs them.

default_pray.gif

Feeling a little sick to my stomach, still no knew news other than the impaction is still there, but his spirits are great. Vet said the impaction is so far forward, having to stretch to feel it,that based on his behavior, if someone only did a quick feel they would think nothing was wrong with him.

It's making me a bit ill having to sort through the parameters of his insurance policy to know what is and isn't covered and the limitations on each, and weighing out his attitude, behavior, comfort, and going forward. I prefer to stay the course with hydration, oiling, and comfort at this point.....trying not to prematurely tear up while thinking of the possible outcomes....will update, once again, Prayers please.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of this AM he had a bit of oil and a small amount of diarea working its way through, but he still has the impaction.

He is still getting tubed and oiled and fluids as needed. He is so alert, ....it is heartbreaking. I wish he would drastically sway one way or another, decisions would be much easier. He has had and continues to get electrolytes as needed. It is still wait and see at this point, I have a few more days worth of care until the insurance money will be eaten up, dreading that time if it comes. I will keep you all posted, thank you for the continued prayers.

Have you asked your vet about tubing him with epsom salts? My vet swears by it for impactions.Hoping for a positive outcome.

Yes, Bev, they are doing that too. You name it, they are throwing the entire gamut at him.

Update, news is still not great, oil and some cow patty material passed this morning,a lot of the impaction is still there and firmness is about the same. Since it is in his cecum, chances are the impaction is pushed to the side and the other stuff is seeping through,here's to hoping something gives soon. Keep the prayer's coming please.

Edited to add, vet texted me tonight, said he passed three more piles throughout the day, still not in the clear, praying this is the start of things going in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be praying for your boy Carolyn just keep hoping for the best.

If the vets think it could be a phytobezoar they can try treating that with diet coke. I went through that with a little 28" mare and that saved her.

I also have some friends who swear by a product called Stops Colic, one ordered it overnight after Vet said there was no hope and the horse survived so some of her friends have used it since then and it has helped them all.

If I think of anything else I'll come back and update. I sure hope he'll be O.K.

Continued prayers and thoughts for you and your boy. Been there, done that, but ended up going the surgery route THREE times. Once for an impacted cecum and twice (on the same horse 2 1/2 years apart) when large sections of the small intestines were dead and surgery was the only option.

Latest posts

Back