I can't believe he'll be gone...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
I sold one of my Miniature Horse geldings a few weeks ago and his new owners come today to pick him up. I know his new owners will take good care of him, and show him and love him, and they have a beautiful home with lots of space...but it will be so hard for me to let him go!

I bought him when he was only a year old. All he knew how to do was lead on the halter, he didn't know how to tie, how to pick up his feet, anything. I took this basically "raw" horse and turned him into what he is today. A beautiful, sane, sound, intelligent, well trained horse. He does halter, showmanship, obstacle, jumping and driving. He does tricks like bow and lay down. He follows me around and he is genuinely interested in everything I do and how he can be a part of it.

But, I want to show at a higher level. I only have so much room and I can't realistically have more than two horses and have it be fair to them. I had to decide. It had come to the point where I had trained Spyder to a certain point and I needed a horse who could take me that extra step farther. I made the hard decision to sell him and now he's going to the most perfect home I could have imagined for him.

But there is this horrible nagging feeling I feel everyday...I feel like I have betrayed him! It's horrible for me to think that, I know he is going to a wonderful home where he will be loved and well cared for...but I still feel like that! I'm just going to miss him so much. I don't know how I will hold it together long enough to watch him go.
default_sad.png

It's not easy to let horses go even when you know it's a great home. I have shed some tears, but it makes me feel so good when I hear back from the new owners and know how special the horse is to them.

We have one VERY special horse leaving this fall -- and I will cry I know -- but I also know how special he is to the other family and that he will be as close to horse heave as possible this side of eternity.

Try to think how much the new people will enjoy your guy and how much time and love they will give to him. I know that has helped me a lot.

{{{hugs}}}

I so totally know what you mean. There have been many a time I have cried my eyes out when I have sold a horse. I am sure it will happen again.. I just keep telling myself that they are going to a good home and will be taken care of and loved... Still you always think in the back of your mind nobody can take care of them the way you do... It is so hard !!!!

I know I know I didnt help much did I ???

I dont think I will be much of help. Because I feel your pain!!! I am selling my stallion and once they made the decision I have bene up all night agonizing over it. But you will be ok and so will he. You are not betraying him you are giving him a different oppertunity. Just make sure you let them know you will take him back if life takes a different turn in thier life. And lots of pics!!!! Good luck!!!

Something that always helps me when selling a horse, I always tell the horse and their buddies, I start several weeks in advance if I know when they are going, or even a few days or hours. I tell them about the wonderful home they are going to, and how I will miss them but I know they will get lots of love and care from their new friends. And I tell their buddies they are leaving. It may seem silly to some people, but I think they understand more than we give them credit, and it sure helps to prepare me, even if they don't understand!

I'm not sure whether to offer congratulations or sympathy. Maybe a little of both. You know you can accomplish so much more with a horse with better breeding etc. You have it in you to really be a contender. Just remember there are different types of betrayal. If you kept him and then lost interest because you'd gone as far as he could take you then IMO you would have betrayed yourself as well as him. He needs to belong to someone who he can guide thro the early days (his temperament will give confidence to a new driver/handler I know) and YOU need a horse that will challenge you again and move you up a notch in competition. Try to be glad for all Spyder has taught you and the memories you've shared. Perhaps snip a small piece of his mane or tail to braid and put with a picture as a memento of him and then go ahead and have a cry. Even tho he is not gone from the world he'll be gone from your world and that is something you can't help but grieve.

I am sure his new home will love and appreciate him as much as you, and also apprciate you for all your time and hard work you put into him!

I absolutely agree with Kim!!! Be sure to tell him that he's not leaving because he has been bad, he's going to a new home to make more people happy. Silly or not, I totally believe they understand! We no longer raise minis, but still own too many. I have cried every time one of my horses left, even if I knew the new home was great! We must sell several geldings this year or early next year. We will train them to drive first, so they have a job, but I can assure you the tears will flow again!

Pam

Something that always helps me when selling a horse, I always tell the horse and their buddies, I start several weeks in advance if I know when they are going, or even a few days or hours. I tell them about the wonderful home they are going to, and how I will miss them but I know they will get lots of love and care from their new friends. And I tell their buddies they are leaving. It may seem silly to some people, but I think they understand more than we give them credit, and it sure helps to prepare me, even if they don't understand!
Absolutely!! I couldn't agree more. Think about how different the experience of going to college would be for you if nobody told you about it in advance, they just pulled you out of your parents' house and threw you somewhere completely new with total strangers and expected you to appreciate it? :DOH! But when you know it's coming and understand all the details it becomes something new and exciting to look forward to. Sure he'll miss you, but everybody gets a little homesick. Just talk to him about what's going on and give both him and his buddy some warning.

Leia

Oh gosh--I just went through this with Blessing. It took months to prepare my heart to consider selling her... and when she sold I was okay... kept focusing on the great stuff--fabulous buyer.... But even that didn't keep the tears and heart ache away. It was about the 4th day she was gone I cried long and hard about missing her. The only thing that helps is time--but great owners are the icing. My husband always says I'll never find anyone who will take care of them as good as I do--but I did.
default_smile.png

I always tell my animals what's happening. I hold their little heads in my hand, look them in the eye, and tell them the plan. I know they listen. One reason I didn't get sad the day Blessing left was we put the ramp to the trailer on the back of Julie's van and Blessing walked in like she's done it all her life! I was amazed. It made me feel like she was up for the adventure. If it was a struggle I may have melted.

Julie has spoiled me--I'll always compare new buyers to her.

Good luck--it will be okay. Let the emotions roll and trust time. Focus on the hunt for the new horse... distract yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Focus on the pure happiness that mini is going to bring to his new family

I get such joy out of Blessing, I can't really explain it. My favorite thing is to just hang out with Blessing in the paddock, or on the end of a lead and just be with her. I can trust her completely when kids go barreling down one of the lanes, or a biggie is getting a little frisky in a nearby paddock. Even my mom admitted to me that she HAS to smile each time she sees the little critter. She brings such joy not only to us, but to others at the barn too. SIblings of riders who wouldn't have come to the barn now come to the barn to see "The Miniature". There was a nanny there this weekend who was moved to TEARS at the sight of Blessing interacting with the two kids she had in her care. She was overjoyed that there was a horse that the kids could pet without worry. When I told her Blessing's name the nanny couldn't stop saying "Blessing, she is a blessing, she is a blessing!" The kids at the riding camp in the upper barn always have to bring their parents down the lower paddock/barn to show them Blessing. There is not a single person who does not smile when they see her. Sometimes i think even th other horses smile at her!

Just focus on the joy you are bringing the new owners, I know it's hard, but Karla has given me a gift in Blessing that I couldn't be an more happy or grateful for.

Definitely feel for you, but you're making a great decision in letting him go to a perfect home, were he's going to be #1 there. You can't ask for more than that.

I have horses here that are 'not' for sale, but when a horse and a person bond, I'm always willing to look at the big picture of what is best for my horse and often I do feel that the next home is going to be better than here for that specific horses needs.

Shed those tears and demand they keep you informed - I love my buyers that send annual Christmas cards with photos - really makes my day!

Julie--you made me cry... happy tears though. Thank you for loving that girl.
default_wub.png
You are giving Blessing a chance to reach a greater potential--to multiply the joy even one mini can bring. Happy sigh...
default_smile.png

Ferrah--are you okay? We haven't heard back--
default_unsure.png

After talking with the people in person who are taking Spyder home, it put all my fears and doubts to rest. To see how excited she was to see him, and her reactions to him, I knew they would be the right home for him! It will be hard, but I really think I have done the best for him. Thank you everyone, your comments really did help.

I'm so glad! Big sigh of relief? If you get an empty feeling in a few days--that will pass.
default_smile.png

This is a new chapter for you and your horse. Are you in search mode for the next?

Latest posts

Back