I can still laugh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
OK, just so you know it's not all gloom and doom here, I'll tell you a funny story that happened just this morning.

I'm half asleep at my kitchen sink, making my morning coffee and I happen to glance out of the kitchen window. There, in my yard, is the most beautiful, enormous deer! He is just striking. The sun was hitting his hair, making him look just so beautiful. He had little felt buttons where his antlers will be. I was just having a "Marlin Perkins" kind of moment. And then, he leans down.............and eats my rose bushes and my day lily plants. And just like that.....poof......my "Wild Kingdom" moment came to an end. LOL I wasn't nearly as enamored at that point. But I let him eat and watched as he pranced away, all happy with himself.

And I was just thinking the other day that I would love to see a deer in my yard (we live right in front of a forest). So, be careful what you wish for. LOL

Now he knows you have tasty vittles, maybe tomorrow he will bring a dining companion ☺.

We used to have several deer here for many years. Every spring there would be a fawn to spot.

I could not ride in that area when the fawns were young, Once I was riding and got charged by a doe.

She made the most Godawful sound like a roar and came crashing through the undergrowth like a bull. Fortunately there was a fence between her and I or I think the would've attacked the horse I was on.

Now that was cool..........Maybe you should make more fun wishes!

That is a funny story! Hopefully the pruning job on the rose will be good for it. Not so sure the day lilies will cope very well, though. Especially if the "dining companion" shows up.

Tonight I gave my rat terrier the T bone out of my steak. He loves to lay in the grass and gnaw. Then the chickens came up and ganged up on him and took away his bone. It was funny to see a hen carrying that bone away, the other hens after her to snatch it away. I had to go out and get it away from her and bring dog & bone into the house, so he could gnaw in peace.

That is funny. People always ask me why I have silk flowers in my boxes and around my yard...it is because wildlife and loose cows trample and eat them. I'm sure the plants will come back, and maybe the deer will too. Maybe some mothballs or soap will deter him from eating the plants.

what a great way to start the morning, I thought... then read the "rest of the story".
default_smile.png

I am coming into flowers and shrubs VERY late in life. But when I ordered seeds for our vegetable garden, I noticed there were quite a few flowers that can be "companion plants" for the veggies that are considered deer and rabbit "resistant" (course, I always thought the thorns on the roses would stop deer, but I haven't see that either). I haven't fully followed up on that, so not sure how accurate it is - but it may be a thought, LOL.

It's a good thing he was cute! Sorry about your flowers! At least you saw what happened to them
default_smile.png

And don't you know, I wondered why my rose bushes never needed trimming. LOL I actually don't really mind, I love my flowers, but I love watching the deer, as well. If that makes him happy, go for it.

We used to have a climbing rose along our fence line. It was beautiful for decades and then it stopped climbing. We couldn't figure out why. Well one day my Mom looked out the kitchen window and spotted Doodles, my pony, happily munching away. We never caught him at it before then as he was only out in that particular paddock once a week or so, and he was a sneaky little .But once a week was often enough to demolish whatever had grown during the week before.

Back