I am very DISGUSTED and MAD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betsy

Reaction score
WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP ALL THIS MAD MESS????

I HAVE WATCHED THESE VIDEO'S ON YOUTUBE ABOUT SLAUTERING HORSES

WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP THIS????

I LOVE HORSES WITH ALL MY HEART AND AFTER WATCHING THIS MESS, I WANT TO BAWL
default_crybaby.gif

IT JUST MAKES ME SOOO MAD
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
:arg!
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
default_torch.gif

We can make slaughter houses available and the trips to and through them more humane, not only for horses, but for pigs, cows, sheep, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, etc.

We could stop defending why it is ok for us to breed and always point the finger at everyone else be it large farms, small farms, show horses ,pet horses as the problem for overpopulation.

Unfortunately, horses are livestock and are VERY expensive to upkeep. They are not like an old dog or cat that only requires a small area to live and a cup of food per day and a clean bowl of water.

I am vegetarian and I LOVE animals, but I don't see slaughter as a terrible thing. It's a part of life. I particularly don't see how anyone who eats meat can be opposed to slaughter (I don't know if you've ever eaten meat or not, so not necessarily pointing a finger).

There are MORE dogs and cats, by the numbers, that are euthanized at shelters daily than horses. So if you want to go by karma and save lives, start with them.

I think it's terrible that there is a US ban on slaughter. It just means horses have to die slower deaths in the US, or spend a worse ride out of the country to be slaughtered in worse ways.

Andrea

I agree with mininik. If they had a more humane way of doing it I don't think people would protest near as much.

Well, Besty, you like other Anti slaughter people got their wish. No horses are slaughtered in the US, you can't even legally eat horse meat. Because there is no slaughter, horses are being turned loose to fend for themselves, or left to starve or being sent to Mexico or Canada. I rather see a horse go to a well run slaughter house and provide meat to the Zoo animals and or to feed starving people, than die a long lingering starvation.

So if you are one of those that want no slaughter, why aren't you out there saving the 90,000+ unwanted horses every year? How many horses can your land hold, before you too add to the stavation of horses?

You people have made your bed, forced the issue and now you have to deal with the results and after math. Not pretty is it!?

I love my horses but I have no problem with people eating horses, cows, ducks, chickens and so on, so long as they are kindly raised and slaughtered by someone that knows what they are doing.

We can make slaughter houses available and the trips to and through them more humane, not only for horses, but for pigs, cows, sheep, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, etc.

I agree. We can "slaughter"....."kill" animals in a humane way.........The alternative is even more horrible and we are seeing it in the news daily.

Well, Besty, you like other Anti slaughter people got their wish. No horses are slaughtered in the US, you can't even legally eat horse meat. Because there is no slaughter, horses are being turned loose to fend for themselves, or left to starve or being sent to Mexico or Canada. I rather see a horse go to a well run slaughter house and provide meat to the Zoo animals and or to feed starving people, than die a long lingering starvation.So if you are one of those that want no slaughter, why aren't you out there saving the 90,000+ unwanted horses every year? How many horses can your land hold, before you too add to the stavation of horses?

You people have made your bed, forced the issue and now you have to deal with the results and after math. Not pretty is it!?

I love my horses but I have no problem with people eating horses, cows, ducks, chickens and so on, so long as they are kindly raised and slaughtered by someone that knows what they are doing.

Shari,

You were posting when I was..........I agree.........As much as I would love to save them all, it's just not possible.

I have to agree with all of the other posters thus far. I don't see the slaughter of horses/cows/goats ect. to be a problem, it's all in how they do it. We need slaughter houses opened back up in the US and run them properly.

Well i agree with slaughter, I just dont agree with how they do it (as said before) and there selection of the animals being used. I have seen perfectly fine horses ( that look fine im not saying they are) slaughter bound, and a couple young ones.

Shari, miniv, horseplay... I'm in line with you.

Betsy - see if there is a horse sale/auction mart near you... and attend a sale if possible. Look at what is going through the ring. And the money - or lack there of - that people are getting for them. It is a good way to gain a prospective on what is going on out here in the horse world... and how dire the situation has become for many.

The closing of the slaughterhouses was extremely misguided IMO. It would have been a better idea to have them thoroughly monitored and use humane practices. And to have the transport issues addressed and monitored as well. Or even to have a few more of them to eliminate the long distance hauling issues.

And in an example of supreme irony, an act that was supposed to help horses will only end up adding to their suffering...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i agree with slaughter, I just dont agree with how they do it (as said before) and there selection of the animals being used. I have seen perfectly fine horses ( that look fine im not saying they are) slaughter bound, and a couple young ones.
Pure Thoughts Horse Rescue just rescued 163 horses from the Sugarcreek Auction in I think it's Ohio or West Virginia. I have seen 40 of them and most of them there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. There are some beautiful paint mares that are pregnant and one that has had a baby along with drafts, standardbreds, ponies. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what kind of condition they are in they end up at auctions anyway. They aren't suposed to accept pregnant mares but as I said one had her baby a month after they saved it and a donkey had her baby two days after.

Pure Thoughts was able to save every horse that day with the help of a very special woman and not one kill buyer went home with any. The sad thing is that they can't do this every time there is an auction. It's just not possible.

I just adopted a pony from them that was suposed to be AMHA but went wayyyyyy over and he was at one of the auctions.

Amanda

Unfortunately, horses are livestock and are VERY expensive to upkeep. They are not like an old dog or cat that only requires a small area to live and a cup of food per day and a clean bowl of water.
I think it's terrible that there is a US ban on slaughter. It just means horses have to die slower deaths in the US, or spend a worse ride out of the country to be slaughtered in worse ways.

Andrea

And in an example of supreme irony, an act that was supposed to help horses will only end up adding to their suffering...
I agree. The act that was supposed to be helping horses is actually making them suffer more. I think slaughtering, although awful to think about, should be opened back up. Unwanted and unusable horses are being thrown out in the streets to slowly starve to death. Wouldnt it have been better for them to go to slaughter and die quickly? -Bailey

I don't like the way horses or any other animal is slaughtered. In fact, I hate the fact that they are killed period. But we live in an imperfect world and it is unfortunately a necessary evil. If, somehow, we could put an end to all the "backyard breeding", maybe we could lower the number of animals that needed to be culled. How do we do that, though? A gal I used to work with didn't realize that when you put a boy horse in a pen with a bunch of girl horses...Surprise! you get a lot of baby horses! She could hardly give them away. Duh!

I agree. The act that was supposed to be helping horses is actually making them suffer more. I think slaughtering, although awful to think about, should be opened back up. Unwanted and unusable horses are being thrown out in the streets to slowly starve to death. Wouldn't it have been better for them to go to slaughter and die quickly? -Bailey
I agree also the processing plants should be opened back up with even more USDA Inspected there making sure everything is on the up and up and down in a quick and humane way.

Slaughter is a necessary evil. Now the hoses are being TRUCKED to Canada and into Mexico and while in Mexico Lord only knows what is going on~!!

And there is NO Law saying you can't butcher your OWN HORSE and eat it just like a person can butcher their own cow or pig.

If horse meat was to be sold in stores AGAIN it WOULD sell as it is much leaner then beef, and sweater.

After all at some of the finest restaurants in New York City years ago sold horse and was listed on their menu.

I agree with those who have said slaughter is a necessary evil.

My vet really climbs up on his sopabox when someone mentions slaughter plants being closed. He feels it was a big mistake to close them.

If, somehow, we could put an end to all the "backyard breeding", maybe we could lower the number of animals that needed to be culled. How do we do that, though?
It's not just "backyard breeding" that contributes to the overpopulation, it's ALL breeding. Sure it would lower the number of horses, but so would stopping responsible breeding. Needless to say these horses have a better chance of finding a home, but there are no guarantees.

Pure Thoughts Horse Rescue just rescued 163 horses from the Sugarcreek Auction in I think it's Ohio or West Virginia
Yes Sugarcreek is in Ohio, they have the horse sale every friday and we use to go but dont make it out ..its been about a year since we have went ...can get some good deals on tack at their sale. I refuse to go back to Sugarcreek ..we went there maybe 10x total ..i just cant deal with it, i agree with horse slaghter ..but its very hard to go there and watch these horses.

I agree with Shari ..i hate to see horses suffer and we need to open back up these plants ....

I dont agree with how its done and how they are transported and yes, i have seen the videos on youtube and cried all the way threw them ..but we need those plants open NOW.

I usually dont coment on these kinds of topics, but here I go..

I eat meat...... goat sheep cow pig chicken.... I draw the line at horse. BUT I also believe that horse slaughter houses are a "nessesary evil" also. I would much rather see them killed then being turned loose to starve or get hit on the road by a car or truck, WHICH in turn can be as deadly for the person in the vehicle. This is happening here in Missouri in the Mark Twain national forest land. This is why I am not breeding this year and will not till I see some increase in the Miniature horse sales...

April

Latest posts

Back