I am thinking about becoming an

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casnos Minis

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any place online that I can do the classes? I am thinking about doing this and I want t get as much info as possible. There is a need for it and I need another job as the one I have is over when my dad dies (I'm his PCA). I've been told I would make a great massage therapist, and I figured I'd check out as much info as possible.

Thanks for any info.

christy

You can pay to learn how to do it and get a certificate, but almost no one makes a living out of it.

So if you're looking at it to make money, look elsewhere.

Oklahoma has made it against the law for anybody but a vet to do.

Several other states are real iffy about how "legal" it is to call yourself an equine massage therapist.

Only people I can see that make money out of it are the people selling the lessons like Equissage.

That's where I got my certification 14 yrs ago.

http://www.equissage.com/index.htm

It's handy to learn for your own horses.

Wish I could be more helpful.

I took the class at Equinology last summer. It was a hands-on class and it was excellent. I can't imagine trying to learn EMT online (and my career is eLearning--creation and management for information systems training.) Some topics lend themselves to online learning and others don't--based on my 10+ years of experience in the eLearning field, I personally don't believe EMT is an area that does. I took the class because I was seriously considering doing this as a source of income. However, with the downturn of the economy it seems that EMT is one of the first things to be cut out of horse owners' budgets. I'm very fortunate that I have a well-paying job and have decided to keep my focus there.

It helps if you are near a larger city with affluent horse owners. It is referral based and horse owners with money and competition/performance horses are the best clients. Check the laws for the states in which you want to practice: EMT Laws

There are many careers where not everyone can be successful, yet people still do well (sales, real estate, etc.). If you really want to do this and the laws are in your favor, I believe you can make a go of it. Just do your research, weigh the options, and make an informed decision.
default_luck.gif

Thanks. I didn't know that it was illegal in some states. So not sure if I will. I think it is so stupid to say that only vets can do this and that (even floating teeth), whay's next are they going to ban farriers and expect the vets to do that also? IMO vets are bust enough without having to do the extras to our animals. Are they going to ban chiropractors for animals also?

Thanks for the info and your opinions I really appreciate it.

christy

In Oregon, equine massage therapists can only work through referral by a vet -- in other words, its legal, but the vet has to know you and refer the owner to you.

I can only imagine how politics factor in.

I believe (but could very well be wrong) that this is the case in many states.

I know the chiropractor by us can only work on any horses if our vet is there as well. He cant do it on his own. I think it really stinks, you get hit with a double bill, plus the vets trip charge.

I've often thought that, if they want to regulate such practices (and horse owners do deserve to know who actually has training and/or experience in these fields), they should create a licensing board and protocol for each.

It would benefit the practitioners, dentists, massage therapists, etc., to have those credentials and to weed out any bad apples.

I can see where the professionals would want vet's referrals, but their practice should not be limited in this way (or forbidden). Who's to say that a vet knows who is a good massage therapist, or, from what I've read, who is a good dentist?

It is a big power grab.

Latest posts

Back