I am so sad...(need advice)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, everyone.

I am waiting to hear back from them, but again, I am feeling like I'm doing what I can to make them feel better, since they did not get the foal. I'm very willing to get them a re-breed to another mare and/or the credit towards a sibling, but I had no clue the dam was going to pass away, so I just don't feel obligated, there, financially.

As has been mentioned, I don't know anything about what her other situation was, possible poisonous plants/feed imabalances, etc. I did ask about a necropsy, but have yet to hear back.

I'll let you know what has been decided, but I'm glad others with a different point of view feel similarly to me.

I do feel badly for them, but if I was them, I would not be expecting much more than a re-breed for another mare as in a foal guarantee (which I did give them verbally).

Liz M.

Liz,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of this mare. I don't think you need to take any responsibility though. As Lisa said, things like this just happen. Not to sound heartless or uncaring, but that's why there is insurance for horses now. So when you do make that kind of investment is something that could be gone tomorrow you aren't left with nothing. I think you are being more than generous offering a credit and is certainly going above and beyond what a lot of other farms would do.

Again I am real sorry, I know it's hard to loose any animal that was part of your family. (((HUGS)))

Liz,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sold mare. And I agree with the other posts. Your offer to the owners is not necessary, but extremely generous.

MA

Oh, sweetie, I am just offering my condolences to you...if it was renal failure, it sounds like it probably would have happened even if you never sold her - it was just one of those things that would eventually happen.

I think by offering your condolences to the buyers as well as offering a discount off a future purchase is very, very generous on your part. Aside from that, I do not think you are obligated in anyway to refund the buyers for the purchase price of the mare.

Again, I am so sorry to hear of your loss...

I am so sorry to hear that the mare died. Although.....

I too believe you are being more than generous in your offer. Your offer to the owners is not necessary.

There is no way of forseeing how long any animal will live. I sold a horse 3 years ago and he died 2 weeks ago. However, sick as I am over this horse passing on, I can not be held responsible.

Please do not beat your self up... Its just sad that it happened.
sad.gif

Life has no guarantees

Joyce

Liz, that is a more than generous offer that you are thinking about offering because actually I don't see where you owe the owner anything. If every horse we sell, we'd be responsible for 9 months later, I think everyone would not sell anything. There is no way you can predict what is going to happen to an animal or a person 9 months ahead. I guess you have to follow your heart and do what you think is best but I don't think you should feel obligated.

Ohhh Liz. I am so sorry. You did love Sami and when you did sell her you did tell the new owners if she had anything wrong with her. Buying horses is a gamble we all take when you buy. They can and do get sick. You did nothing wrong. Things happen and you were very generous with you offer.

Liz, I am sorry about your mare and send condolences to both you and her new family. You have no responsibility in this and your offer is more than gracious.

Marty, I remember the loss of your filly. Since you brought your concerns to the breeders within 48 hrs I think they DO have some responsibility.
yes.gif

I purchased a horse at a dispersal sale a few years back. He had been a very overweight horse the last time I had seen him. He was quite thin at the sale.
ohmy.gif
When I got him home he immediatly dove into the hay. Long story short, he ended up with an impaction and had surgery within 36 hours of my taking him home.
new_shocked.gif
When the vet opened him up she was beyond upset to find the ONLY food in his system was the hay he had been fed by me.
new_shocked.gif
He had no muscle tone. It was the opinion of the vet and staff that he had been starved down to a lower weight prior to the sale. When I contacted the people I got him from , they were in shock as he had never been sick.
no.gif
They were going to go visit him at the hospital the next day. No help with the vet bill however.
rolleyes.gif
When I told the vet that did the surgery that his previous owners may come by to see him.
yes.gif
She told me she would NOT allow them near the horse after what "they" had put him through.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Didn't matter in the long run, they never did go by to see him.
rolleyes.gif

Robin

NOOKA...I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MARE PASSING....THAT IS SO SAD
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
I THINK YOU HAVE GOTTEN SOME GREAT ADVICE...BUT, WHAT I LIKED THE BEST WAS...JUST DO WHAT MAKES YOUR HEART FEEL GOOD.

I ADMIRE YOU GREATLY, FOR TRYING TO MAKE A TRAGIC SITUATION A LITTLE BETTER
yes.gif
yes.gif

LIS

Nothing more to add. I say do what your heart tells you to. Few years back we sold a colt that left here healthy but died a few months later................. We also bought a couple of horses that arrived here sick unbeknownst to the seller. The seller offered to pay the vet bills but we suggested they pay half...... Sometimes things just happen...... Marty, I feel the seller should have reduced your balance some. Just good business in my opinion.

Thanks again, everyone, for your words of encouragement and the affirmation that I am probably doing the right thing.

I did talk w/the owners and they are asking me for money back for the breeding, which is a bit confusing to me. (Does anyone do this, and if so, what are the circumstances?) They did not pay extra or separately for the breeding, and I discounted the mare $1000 as it was.

I did agree to breed another mare if they like, or discount a foal, but they have said they don't want more horses, and so I feel that is their decision, that I don't need to give them money back instead.

I will give them up to 6 months to decide for sure whether they want to re-breed to a different mare, but after that, the deal is off.

Thanks for listening...!

Liz M.

[SIZE=11pt]Oh my gosh I am truely sorry for your loss
sad.gif
. The strange thing is I sold my mare 2 months ago. She had her baby early which is OK. I heard from her new owner she went off her feed and water last week. Then this weekend her kidneys and liver started to shut down. They put her to sleep yesterday
no.gif
.My friend who owned her before me had her for 9 years and not a vet bill. I owned her for 9 months no problems either. She was only 13!!!! Maybe there is something we all need to look into. This is too much of a coincidence. Allison.
[/SIZE]
bye-sad.gif

I did get a few more details on my mare, but not much I could be definitive about and they did not do a necropsy.

She was overweight, which she always tended to, but she mentioned the mare had put on even more, which is a possibility that she had Hyperlipidimia (sp).

Without any testing, there is no way to know.

Many times, I understand that it is misdiagnosed and even when it is, it is hard for a horse to live through.

My hands are tied w/out a necropsy report or more information, as are anyones in a similar situation.

I just hope it turns out they understand my feelings and my stance on the situation, ultimately.

Liz M.

God that's irritating - I wrote a lengthy response and it deleted it before it could be published!!!

Anyway, Liz - I'm so sorry for the loss of Imadorable. She was a wonderful mare that produced really nice foals. We still have our big baby Woody here (one of our first minis), he'll be one of the last to go too!

Regarding the buyer - I'm sure they're in shock and upset at the loss. I can only imagine thinking having two horses then ending up with none, but that ISN'T your fault! I believe you're being more than generous offering a discount on any other purchase. If they chose not to take you up on that, that is there decision, but you don't owe them for a breeding that was included in the price of the mare.

As for the cause of death - renal failure can be treated if caught early enough and depending on the cause of course. We had a colt earlier this year that went into renal failure - he had congenital cysts were healthy kidney tissue should have been. He was kept hydrated for a few days, but it didn't work - again it was congenital with him.

Hyperlipemia - we had that too in June. The mare was caught quickly and treated in ICU. Her hyperlipemia was corrected within 48 hours and she was back home two days later. She had an underlying infection and collapsing trachea as well, but she's regained her weight over the past two months. We just watch the stress on her.

Both of these were well over $2500+ each for the treatments, but do require immediate vet care, and a vet that can recognize hyperlipemia and know how to treat it! (not saying the vet didn't, but hyperlipemia is painful - at least to watch, renal failure didn't appear to be).

I hope you'll have easy success with resolving this sticky situation, but I do believe you're being more than generous! I've purchased mares that were sold as pregnant that weren't, and sold one's that weren't that were - I never received any payment for the bonus foal! The mare with hyperlipemia - I wouldn't dream of blaming the former owners although we'd only had her less than four months - it's my horse, my responsibilty!

Liz,

You are more than generous with your considerations. Anytime a purchase is done, the buyer takes on responsibility for the horse, hence insurance.

Your being really sweet about all this, but don't let unfounded guilt drive you over board with too much consideration, as none of this puts liability at your doorstep.

Tommy

OK I have my Mrs Suspicious hat on today
biggrin.gif
You offer them some money back and they are so grief stricken they ask for more??? Liz you need to wake up and smell the coffee, dear, or your good nature is going to get you into a heck of a lot of trouble. Pull back, lady, Whoa, NOW!!!!
smile.gif

Liz,

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

You are under no obligation at all, but I totally understand how you feel.

I have had people I sold horses to, let me know when they have died but they NEVER expected anything from me, even though I have ALWAYS offered some sort of discount for the future like you, and they have always been gracious and thankful.

I hope your buyers will come around to seeing how generous you are being.

Susan O.

Am Sorry Liz.

I think you are being quite fair to them.... however, they sound very, "Out of Line", to me. You had no control of the mare once she left the Farm. If anyone is at fault it is the buyers. I know you are trying to be nice, but it sure sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you.

Latest posts

Back