I am Shocked,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been trying to not add to this subject but I am couldn't let the last comments go without reply. I
Thank you Mistyrose for your post - all sides are needed when in written form.

embarrased by the way OUR (because we are AMHA) employees were treated. Staff changes are often needed or desired but there is a proper way to hand it. They were blocked by the board because of the way they handled the situation not because the changes weren't needed. The changes in staff have now been accomplished. Employees have to right to expect to be let go with some dignity
.................................. Some of us heard how the above was handled ( if what we heard was true) :no: ........................................... I think a lot of AMHA members would be more accomodating & more patient if they felt like they were being listened to & kept informed.
default_yes.gif
: We all understand there will be problems & sometimes not so easily solved. Lots of us have the feeling that we hear only what AMHA wants us to hear..................... I have mentioned here in the past that AMHA could use their webiste to keep members up to date (members will have to sign in as the general public does not need to know). The factual information would kill the rumors & keep the negative feelings from escalating so much. We don't need all of the gory details but we would like to know what the TRUTH is. If we can't get it from AMHA then don't shoot us for trying to get it from this forum & other sources.................. I know we can contact our directors but I think it would be hard to keep directors if they had to constantly answer to dozens of members.... Speaking of which, the updates could even come from them in email or letter form or even from AMHA in an email....................... Again it is this feeling of not really being a part of AMHA that causes the disconnect & the negative feelings are compounded by what we hear & how things are handled by our "leaders"............................ Now I am off to enjoy my four grandchildren.
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: Happy Holidays to all. :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read over every reply and i have to say i'm a little confused.

Can someone put all of this into terms an average person could understand as to what in the heck is going on?

Jennifer ... you are right about the RFD video. My daughter was in the second video driving with the child from Make A Wish. My uncle (Lllano, Tx) saw her and my husband's aunt saw her .... in New York. But it was not done by AMHA ... it was a volunteer effort (at least the first one was, the second might have been done by AMHA) done by AMHA members with private volunteer money by numerous ranches. The folks didn't ask for credit or recognition or reimbursement, they did it FOR the AMHA.

Many of the folks who sponsored the video are the same one that are involved with IAMHA. They don't want to be apart from AMHA. They are working for the industry as a whole not the individual.

There have been discussions about webcasting the annual meeting. I don't know where we stand on it. I know it's possible. I attend a master's program online. The technology is there. We just need to utilize it.

And the idea of broadcasting the sale, any of the sales, is great. The Winter's Breeders Classic from the Ft Worth Stock Show and the National Show sale are the two that come to mind. But the Heritage Sale and any of the others would be great.

"Therefore, the IAMHA makes the following recommendations:

1. Establish a separate membership category for those who participate in horse shows for the purpose of supporting the related activities and services."

I do not like the idea of a separate membership category for people who show and those who do not show. If the goal of the IAMHA is to promote the Miniature Horse - then how would it help to divide the potential members of the IAMHA. :new_shocked:

Jennifer ... you are right about the RFD video. My daughter was in the second video driving with the child from Make A Wish. My uncle (Lllano, Tx) saw her and my husband's aunt saw her .... in New York. But it was not done by AMHA ... it was a volunteer effort (at least the first one was, the second might have been done by AMHA) done by AMHA members with private volunteer money by numerous ranches. The folks didn't ask for credit or recognition or reimbursement, they did it FOR the AMHA.

Many of the folks who sponsored the video are the same one that are involved with IAMHA. They don't want to be apart from AMHA. They are working for the industry as a whole not the individual.

There have been discussions about webcasting the annual meeting. I don't know where we stand on it. I know it's possible. I attend a master's program online. The technology is there. We just need to utilize it.

And the idea of broadcasting the sale, any of the sales, is great. The Winter's Breeders Classic from the Ft Worth Stock Show and the National Show sale are the two that come to mind. But the Heritage Sale and any of the others would be great.
Lonesome Dove

I couldn't help but notice that you joined this forum just several days ago the day after this forum topic (I am Shocked,, Dismayed and Upset!!!!) started and you have only posted three times and all three are to this topic and in support of the IAMHA. Do you have a connection with the IAMHA or are you just a strong supporter? Although I did notice what I though was a new Founder/Director I do not see your name(s) on their list.

In your second paragraph above when talking about the IAMHA you say "They don't want to be apart from AMHA." What to you me by "apart from?" Are you speaking for the IAMHA BOD?

As for broadcasting sales, wasn't the National Show sale broadcast online? I did not see it online because I was there in the room. How did the online bidders know where they were at in the auction. Was it all done over multiple phone lines?

As for the Heritage Sale wasn't that broadcast online or did I just have a very vivid dream. I remember seeing all of the horses presented for viewing the day before the auction and then the next day each horse as it was auctioned. All of this from my PC at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for broadcasting sales, wasn't the National Show sale broadcast online? I did not see it online because I was there in the room. How did the online bidders know where they were at in the auction. Was it all done over multiple phone lines?
The Natonal Show sale was definately broadcast online. I sat here and watched it on my computer.

I dont think that HGFarm2 was referring to broadcasting 'on line'. She was referring to some possible TV coverage to reach a much broader range of people. More people watch tv and happen to 'stumble' across something they might think is interesting to watch that go to search for a specific something that is running on line on a computer.

Neil,

I am not associated with the IAMHA, was not asked to participate, didn't know anything about it until I got the emails from several different sources. I do know many of the founders personally. They are all good folk, very well respected for both their personal and business integrity. I just felt like defending THEM, not necessarily the IAMHA.

Some of these people are the same folks that bailed AMHA out of impending financial disaster not too long ago. They do not want to see the AMHA fail. But they do want changes in the standard operating procedure. So do I. I think change is desperately needed. I think AMHA needs to be more responsive to the individual members - the small ranches ... we're the life blood of the organization. I would like to see online/web based attendance of the annual meeting. Not all of us can go to Florida or Las Vegas or Portland every year. And yet to be on the committees, you MUST be at the meeting physically.

As for the online sales ... I didn't know that was available or in place. I would rather be AT the sales than at the computer. But I can't get to the Heritage very often, never in fact, but I may watch it online next time. Ain't technology great?

As for being a new online forum poster ... so what. My opinions are just a valid as anyone elses. But that's all they are and we all know that opinions are worth exactly what we pay for them. Actually, I didn't know about the forum until recently. I usually hang out on the sale pages just to see what's out there.

My main concern is that those heading the IAMHA Alliance NOT be on the BOD of the AMHA also.

Neil,

Some of these people are the same folks that bailed AMHA out of impending financial disaster not too long ago. They do not want to see the AMHA fail.

I think this is a HUGE fact that keeps getting pushed to the wayside

I guess I just don't understand the big deal. Why shouldn't people who want to start a group to put on shows and promote the miniature horse be on the BOD for AMHA? Can't people do more than one thing with minis at a time? Should people who show mainly AMHR and have B size horses not be part of AMHA? They are promoting something that AMHA doesn't do. And who has actually proven that the people in the IAMHA have done anything to hinder AMHA? Who has proven they haven't done their jobs as part of the BOD. Have the members of the BOD that aren't part of IAMHA done anything more for AMHA then the ones that are part of IAMHA?

My opinion which I am sure isn't worth the time its taking me to type this is: Why make such a huge deal of it all. If you want to be part of IAMHA then be part of it, if you don't then don't. I don't care for B size horses but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any. Just means I take my interest in another direction. Why not just let this play out and see what happens.

And as far as AMHA goes, unless you were in the meetings and know exactly what happened at any given time between the Executive Committee, then you really don't know the whole story. Just what others are posting online. There are always two sides to every story. I think instead of trashing people you don't know, why not get in touch with your directors before the National Meeting and let them know what is on your mind and what you want to see changed to make AMHA operate better for you. Isn't that what the directors are for, to be the voice of the ones that can't attend.

If the same people are heading the AMHA and the IAMHA isnt one or the other going to suffer for it ?

Last edited:
I was not talking online coverage of the sales. How many people new to horses or looking at purchasing a new horse for the first time, are going to happen to google up the sale on the exact day that it were to be broadcast online? I was talking maybe setting aside a marketing budget and utilizing RFD tv or something as people would be more apt to catch it when flipping through the channels. I know they have Quarter Horse auctions on there from time to time. IAMHA wanted to work in conjunction with 4H and FFA, the FFA convention is broadcast on there as well as numerous other things. They just had part 2 of an Appaloosa youth something on there on Christmas morning. It would reach a wide variety of people from non-horse owners to horse owners from other breeds and that older crowd that are slowing down and still want to enjoy horses yet may not be able to handle the big ones anymore. Are we not wanting to market to a broad range of people not just fellow mini owners? While promoting at the livestock shows and rodeos might be alright for the youth based, I don't think you are going to have much luck in turning the die hard, traveling, rodeo cowboy into prancing around in a show ring with a mini or that they are home enough to enjoy and care for one unless they are retiring in the very near future. The rodeo life and average horse owner life are two very far and different things.

I think the concern is also where do their best interests lie, and the manner in which it appears this new group was formed and presented itself to AMHA.

Just my opinion here, but I truly agree with HGFarm2's post regarding the negativism on the website for IAMHA- regarding AMHA and other horse breeds as well. Certainly wouldnt make me want to 'jump ship' and come on over.

However, I think we have discussed all that in the 20 pages here already...

If the same people are heading the AMHA and the IAMHA isnt one or the other going to suffer for it ?

default_yes.gif
: Seems it already has. Nothing is getting accomplished any better of faster with them on the board so how is paying yet another membership fee going to ensure that A passes rules/bylaws/suggestions/complaints etc...any faster? How will it ensure that regional directors are going to be any more willing to listen and speak up on their regions behalf any better? That is what I am not getting. There is still a way that things are presented and voted on so by paying another entity will all that change too? It seems like the BOD for IAMHA was hand selected so were the questions that they chose to try an answer throughout this post and nothing is being made any clearer.

Latest posts

Back