I am Shocked,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kay Kay,

thanks for that. I agree with you that AMHA has sent several different messages to all of us, with the way things are reported in the financial reports and then the vocalizations from the e board members. I heard from Tom Oconnel today and he made the statement that this was not true and I am sending him an email in a few minutes to get him to clarify what he meant so as not to get bad data or information out there in the public domain.

I do think though whatever the case is as far as numbers that there is indeed a large amount of improvement that can be achieved in letting folks in the general public and also the other parts of the equine community about our great little horses. That is exactly what we intend to do, along with all the other things I mentioned above.

We would love to see AMHA & AMHR become the largest two equine registries in the country and we intend to do our part in that growth by attracting new folks in and keepng the existing ones involved in the industry as much as we can. This will benefit everyone in the industry.

John Cherry

President IAMHA

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'll tell you what really bothers me about this.

Compare the list of officers of this group (from their web site) with the list of AMHA committee members and committee chair persons (from the AMHA web site).

Now somewhere in all their stuff it says they've been working on this for a year. So if they were working on this organization for a year, who was working on the business of AMHA??????

AMHA has not had a very good year. Is there just the slightest possibility that these folks have been directing their attention somewhere besides AMHA?

I have to tell you, as a member of AMHA I feel cheated. I am very disappointed in anyone who will sneak around behind my back and pretend to be one thing when they are in fact something entirely different.

I don't have a problem with people forming an organization to promote whatever they want to....some of us did that with the SmallestHorse Group after all!

What I do have a problem with is someone pretending to be working for the betterment of AMHA when in fact they have a hidden agenda. It would have been very simple for those persons to resign their positions with AMHA before beginning work on this new organization and I sincerely hope they do so immediately!

Charlotte

Thank you, John!

I appreciate you summarizing what is going on. I feel optimistic and excited about the opportunities it sounds like the IAMHA is out to provide!!!

Looking forward to learning more (going to the website site now!).

champagne.gif

What I do have a problem with is someone pretending to be working for the betterment of AMHA when in fact they have a hidden agenda. It would have been very simple for those persons to resign their positions with AMHA before beginning work on this new organization and I sincerely hope they do so immediately!

Charlotte

I agree 100%

Starting off being dishonest bothers me. :new_shocked:

Lisa,

as it is planned now each show would stand on its own and prize would be awarded at each show. Currently the rules are being written, but I do know that the horses exhibited must be registered in either AMHA or AMHR no horse registry will be allowed under our current set up. We have the first super show that is going to be held here in Texas this coming summer, but we hope to have one on the east coast and on the west coast shortly after that. Additionally the first seminar and audction will be held here in Texas, but subsequent ones will be help in several diffferent locations around the country.

It is one of my personal goals to try and bring some of these functions to the middle part of the country as I beleive there is asevere lack of things to do there. But this has not been approved by the board and finance committee yet.

We will be accepting memberships into the group fairly soon, but first we want to get a comprehensive package of benefits for the members from sponsers etc. Things like discounts on feed, tack etc.

We will not be keeping any pedigrees whatsoever, that is the registries job. We even are probally going to add another division for the stock type horse to show in thier own halter division at the shows. Thereby giving the folks that like that type horse a place to compete only against the same type horse.

John Cherry

IAMHA President

Hmm well it sounds interesting to say the least and I will be watching to see what comes of this.

Of course anything that would bring more shows and clinics to this state or close by surrounding states can only help our breed as a whole.

Reading all what John has said, including the post right above, can someone tell me What's Not To Like?

Becky,

I don't underdstand where these folks say they are going to start their own registry, could you help me with that? I have been on their website and it looks like they are very interested in providing ideas to AMHA.

This organization is set up as a business LLC which I believe is still an acceptable practice. Most folks, myself included, want to find a way to have minis, love and enjoy them AND make money. Frankly I commend these folks for thinking AND acting outside the box. This looks like a very well thought out endeavor and given that it is a business it is common practice to develop one's business behind closed doors and then announce it. Looks like that is what has happened.

It is also a common practice for business people to serve on committees of not for profit organizations like AMHA, so once again I don't understand youe objection in that regard. I cannot count the number of times I have heard AMHA members wish for a more business like approach being used in AMHA.

I completely disagree with your referrence to these folks cheating. AGain this is a business structure and the fact thay they have shared so much information seems contrary to your conclusion that these folks are intent on causing harm to AMHA.

I look forward to your response so you can correct my understanding.

Hill

This is hurting me! AMHA is MY organization and you are undermining it and my miniature horse business.

One other thing I forgot to add and that is all of our members intend on still showing our horses on the local, regional and national level in the coming year. These new fuction will be above and beyond what we all normally do within the registries.

Additionally someone above made some remark about there being AMHA board members in our group and yes there are indeed. When we started to put this group together we looked for the most committed people we could find. A board member for AMHA is a really good place to start looking as they get no pay, little thanks and a lot of work. Just the type folks we want in our group.

They have all been very careful to keep AMHA business separate from our group intentionally.

John Cherry

IAMHA President

This is a little OT, but does anybody here, besides me, remember the IMHA? International Miniature Horse Association..........The first stallion I bought back in 1991 was triple registered: IMHA, AMHA and AMHR. It didn't hurt him a bit. Or me.

As to the registry du jour, I don't know how many registries miniature horses can support. I would think, if a horse qualifies, it could only help him/her if there are several registries that recognize him/her. Depends, of course, on how much money a person has to spend. No one is talking, I don't think, about forcing people to join or register their horses.

Let's don't forget, right now miniatures can go into Pinto Association, AMHA, AMHR, Gold Seal, World Class, Fallabella. Have I forgotten any? Oh yeah, the other potential new registries mentioned already this week alone. Oh and also belong to ASPC and AMHR both. There's no harm in belonging to one or another or all.

IMHO, unless one registry would rise above them all and attract a tremendous amount of members and their horses, the others have naught to fear. And all the differences over registries that I've seen over the years makes me doubt that would ever happen. Different horses, difference forces.

First of all--welcome to the board Hill! It's always interesting to see how many lurkers join the forum when big industry topics come up.

Second, I'm glad we now have someone to represent the other side of the story. It's now been confirmed that IAMHA has no intention of starting a registry or competing with AMHA, so could one of the IAMHA members present clear up this statement from the website:

In the event AMHA fails to continue to establish and maintain itself as a strong viable organization, this group will be prepared to lead the Miniature industry, create an organization/registry with the mission and structure to protect all current investments, and lead the breed without personal bias.
So is this only in the instance that AMHA ceases to exist entirely, or is its "[failure] to continue to establish and maintain itself" subjective? Also, wouldn't this constitute some intention of starting another registry? And if that one had a B division--as IAMHA's shows intend to--wouldn't that registry then be competing with AMHR?

It is also a common practice for business people to serve on committees of not for profit organizations like AMHA, so once again I don't understand your objection in that regard.
Hill, I that was my post. I have no problem with persons serving on committees for not for profit organizations while being involved in other business ventures. What I have a problem with is doing so in secret. How do I know the resources (contacts, ideas of members, etc.) of my organization, AMHA, were not used in the planning of this venture?

Bottom line for me is this should have been up front.

Charlotte

It sounds like someone has been listening to the complaints and instead of complaining been putting some heads together to improve things. Since they aren't another registry and want to be of help to both AMHA and AMHR they just might be the answer to all the problems. One thing about it, I don't want to see

AMHA go down and it sounds like this is a business that may help them do better. Will be watching and listening for more information before I draw any conclusions. Mary

As someone said above this is set up as a business and is being run as a business even though we will rpoblaly not make any money at it with the agenda we have on scedule. But with that said, if for any reason AMHA fails, which I personally don't think it will with a little mangement which some on the BOD are trying to do. We would entertain the possibility of opening a registry or something at that time MAYBE.

But to be very blunt, to set up a viable registry it would take about 400 - 500,000.00 and I personally think even though there are problems with both registries that need to be changed. They both do a pretty good job of providing a stud book and registry functions. Why in the daylights would I or any of our members want to sepnd that type money to replicate what we already have.

We would be much wiser to spend our resources to promote the American Miniature Horse attract new folks, provide venues for them and the established owners (large and small) to enjoy that at and educate as many folks as we can about them.

One other thing, if you think about it we have been monitoring this very board to see what is important to you folks and a lot of our suggestiosn to AMHA came form here. Additionally believe it or not we have many of the same concerns.

John Cherry

Cherryville Farms

I sincerly hope that this is NOT being financed by AMHA or being approved by their BOD.

We have seen enough money siphoned off to support personal venues & shows (like in Europe a few years ago.)

No wonder Mr. Cherry had so much input on the thread of a new Registry -- he had his own hidden agenda, complete with shows & all, ready to spring on us all. What good are NON - sanctioned shows going to do .

Some of the names on this were on the band wagon big time for the oversized horses of AMHA at the Little King Sale a couple of years ago. I think this has been in the "works ' for much more than a year.

IF AMHA keeps funding these "New, innovative" ideas -- no wonder it MAY have trouble remaining a viable registry. They have had ample chances to turn the ship around.!!

The more I hear, the less I like.

Ever since I have heard about this group, I have been wondering why it is called "International" AMH Alliance? What is the international element about this group? I have not had the time to read everything and anything the group has provided as information, but I did see that you plan a lot of activities within the USA and also all the founding farms are American farms. So are there any plans for the future that will include international activity? If so, which activities and where?

Just wondering.

Carina
default_smile.png

Personally I don't care wether there is another registry or not, as long as there isn't any money from the AMHA or AMHR going to support this new registry. All I have to say is that I am not supporting another registry. I have animals that are registered with the AMHA, AMHR and WCMHR. Those are the three that I support. I am not going to support another registry!!!!

Like I said already, I don't care if there is another registry as long as the money supporting any of the other registries is going to support the new registry!

I completely agree with Charlotte and Becky- I find this very deceiving. Why would we pay to show at these shows, etc... when I hear we can't even support the shows that AMHA is currently putting on? If they are barely making it financially, wouldn't I want to continue to support the organization rather than shifting my funding somewhere else? What will AMHA get out of it? Even less attendance at shows and less money- thus possibly causing them to fold.

I also am really concerned about the time spent on this, when the same effort could have been put into some committees with AMHA and AMHR, to improve things, create some futurities and shows like this THERE to support what we already have!!

I don't like this at all, and personally, will not support it.

Seems like a HUGE conflict of interest to me, with folks working with AMHA, but putting together something like this to take more money from an already troubled organization.

But with that said, if for any reason AMHA fails, which I personally don't think it will with a little mangement which some on the BOD are trying to do. We would entertain the possibility of opening a registry or something at that time MAYBE.
I really think this is underhanded and do not see how either registry would benefit whatsoever from this.

I am so troubled by what I am reading here, I can't even really express how I feel, but it makes me ill.

At this time we have not put together our international agenda completely, contrary to some peoples belief we have only been working on this for less than a year. Some things will just have to be put on the back burners for a while. We did however address to the BOD of AMHA the disparagy of the measuring from here in the USA and Europe and other countries around the world. Additionally we addressed the way international judges have been handled in the past which we think is unfair. We ask for an international passport for horses which would make it easier for horses to be imported into these countries. And several other items I am probally forgetting.

As far as money is concerned we are not affliliated with any registry whatsoever. And do not intend to be. But we are concerned members of AMHA and AMHR, but all funding has been done by our founding members. We also have several corporate sponsers that will be coming on line in the next few months we think, that will help.

Additionally as far as Europe is concerned this was released there today also and we are planning on trying to put on some educational senminars over there hopefull this coming year.

John Cherry

Cherryville farms

In answer to the question what does AMHA and AMHR get out of this. It is very simple, if we have activites that people want to come to, they must own a horse that is registered with either AMHA or AMHR. These activities we are planning should create more interest in mini's, thereby create a market for the mini's so many of the smaller farms are having trouble selling according to the posts on this and other groups and therefore increase the number of horses and members in the respective registries.

If you look at the historical data from other breeds such as AQHA, when a group started offering activites such reigning, cutting and just got active in promoting the breed the number of people involved increased as far as membership and number of horse registered.

That is what we are really about and that is marketing the product we all have if you will "The American Miniature Horse", which we think is the most exciting under appreciated breed going today.

John Cherry

IAMHA

Latest posts

Back