I am Shocked,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, IMHO, if this organization stings AMHA into getting their act together, AWESOME. They really do need to look at themselves and make some hard changes.

If it gives me another place to show my horses, terrific!!! And if the prizes are $$, all the better.

If it educates the public that those cute little horses you see on TV shows can do more than be pets, wonderful! And that those tiny, misshapen horses have major problems and health issues and that "genuine'' breeders do NOT breed for then, we are headed in the right direction.

We raise and show primarily AMHR horses. This year we are getting our feet wet and trying a few AMHA shows. So, we'll wait and see.

Lucy

Change can be good
default_poke.gif
:

I do have an open mind, so will wait to hear more :aktion033:

Presumably, the news release would have caused less concern and panic if it had been a joint release from the new group and AMHA. Why wasn't it a joint release? Was it because AMHA leadership hasn't bought into IAMHA and will be reluctant to take the advice and guidance offered?

Also ...

If AMHA is in peril and needs guidance from this new group, why isn't there a move -- or maybe there is -- to replace the AMHA leadership?

One final thought ...

If there really will be huge prize money offered at some kind of supershow, please let me know the date and location as soon as possible. It'd be nice to go to a show and have a chance to make a few bucks for a change.

Well From my point of view. It sounds alright. I mean the things they listed to have that both AMHR and AMHA have issues with sound good. BUT AMHR And AMHA probably did all those things but lost them once these overwhelming number of horses came in. Think how many horses there are registered there are obviously going to be some unavoidable errors. Are some of your saying you won't register your horses IAMHA? If others do will you look at that person and hors ein a differant way? just

wondering? Because what they are promising sounds good to me. And the prize money shows thats a nice promise hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the AMHA asked for help from the IAMHA? Sounds like they have all the answers and can cure all that ails the AMHA. Maybe they can, and that would be a good thing, but I don't like the sound of them. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out, though.

Okay I am back from Dinner. let me try and address a few of the questions that have been ask.

1. No AMHA did not ask for anything from us even thoguh they have known of our existence for over three months.

2. You can't register horses with IAMHA, because we are not a registry and hope to never be one. That is the job of AMHA & AMHR.

3. Yes we have attempted to work with the E-Board of AMHA for the last three months or so trying to get a face to Face meeting with them. We even offered to fly to California for that meeting. In all fairness though these folks have lives too and have been very busy with personal business concerns from my understanding. we could not wait any longer in our opinion if we were going to attend the venues we wanted too. IE the Ft. Worth Stock Show and the Houston Stock show which are in January and the end of Febuary.

4. Replacing or keeping the leadership of AMHA is a decision for the members of AMHA at the National Meeting in Las Vegas, not ours.

5. Everyone is focusing on the shows and the non-registering portion of the agenda, when in fact the most exciting thing to me is that over 4 Million people ( the attendance numbers from both shows) will be exposed to cute well fitted miniature horses at these two venues alone. If we get 1 % to become interested that is a huge influx of members for AMHA or AMHR or both.

6. the seminar portion of the agenda is something that should be very interesting to folks, at this time I have had one AMHA Judge and one AMHR judge offer to do one about showing both in the driving and halter portion of a show from a judges standpoint. Additionally we have one of the most sucessful trainers in the business in the group and he has offered to do training seminars.

enough for now,

:saludando:

Very interesting reading. It sounds to me like a viable concept, and one that may indeed help promote the breed. John, the only concern I have with IAMHA shows is that with breed show participation down, it's possible that new shows will cause exhibitors to choose between those and AMHA or AMHR - and further reduce entries. You may be anticipating a different set of folks showing there initially, I don't know. But the exhibitors time and dollar only stretches so far. We have to pick and choose our shows - and are fortunate to have plenty here to choose from. This is something I would like to support, and I hope it will complement and enhance what the breed associations have to offer.

Jan

Wildoak that is one of the challenges that the committee on the super shows as we call them is facing. The mandate from the group to the committee was to find weekends where there was not conflict between us and local AMHA or AMHR shows. The last thing the local clubs need is competition from us on a weekend they are trying to put on a show. So we have to find facilities on a weekend with no conflict locally. That is proving to be a hard thing to do, but we are still investigating the different options.

From this statement that John made I would guess it is going to be a business "Do I expect to be able to make it at least a break even venture in the long run, yes I do. I am a much better business man than that, than to get into something that will cost me an endless amount of money and time, which is even more valuble to me than money." I doubt if they could do it if they figured it wouldn't make something.

Is this a non-profit Alliance or a BUSINESS to make money for it's founders?

The group is a limited Liability for profit corporation between the founding members. Of which there are 10 right now and eventually when we finish interviewing people etc. there may be as many as 15 of those partners.

There currently is no membership, but eventually in the next few months we will offer membership to probally three different levels of members Farms, Families and Individuals with a different benefit package for each level. Things such as discounts on tack, reduction of export costs to foriegn countries for NoN USA members, reduction of show fees, reduction of auction commisions and consignment fees, feed discounts etc. will be in those packages. We have not settled on an exact plan yet, but we have a committee working on it.

Hope that answers your question Mary Lou, I also sent you an email in answer to your email on the same subject.

People never cease to astound me! Lots of youall have been complaining about the very things these folks are trying to fix. These complaints have been around for the 15 yrs. I have been showing. The registries have done nothing about them. Now someone comes along and wants to see things finally changing and you guys get all upset. How about just sitting back and see what happens. I, for one, am thrilled! I don't show AMHA, but I do show AMHR and I still will, but I'm hoping this will come about and I'd be happy to help in any way I could.

Pam

I would like to know why all this could not been within the AMHA ? I can understand that it takes time to change rules or add new ones but I don't understand why there would have been any resistance from AMHA for promotion, shows, clinics etc. as you have stated is needed and your business will have. Was there an absolute problem with others in AMHA that wouldn't have allowed it to happen? May we see a list of the people who are all involved in this business?

Folks I am sorry so many of you are a bit confused. Let me make a point blank statement. IAMHA is not and has no desire to be a registry in competition with AMHA or AMHR. We are a focus group that thinks though that we can do a better job presenting our product "The American Miniature Horse" to the general public and the rest of the equine world. Additionally we think we can do a better job of providing educational and fun venues for new and established mini owners alike.

We are committed members of AMHA & AMHR and are using our own money to exhibit at stock show & equine venues around the country to expose the "American Miniature Horse" to the general public.

We first addressed the problems surrounding AMHA, but AMHR is next on the list as far as producing suggestions to them on the problems we see as an interested focus group. This is not meant to be devisive, but rather helpful in identifying the problems, along with possible solutions.

It is our intention to also put on some unsanctioned shows in different parts of the country with huge prize money ( the first show it looks like $15 - 30,000) pools much the way that the cutting horse people and the reigning horse people do with AQHA.

They are part of the registry and support it completely, but have a set of competitions ie: futurities and shows for folks to participate in.

Additionally, we intend to put on educational seminars about grooming, showing and other aspects of miniature horse ownership that should be helpful to anyone that attends for current owners and prospective new owners.

I even had an offer from a carded miniature horse judge today to put on a seminar about the show ring, both driving and halter from the judges stand point. Hopefully we can make that work into the schedule and budget for the coming year.

In any case we are not about trying to replace or even damage either one of the registries, quite the contrary we want them to remain healthy and growing. Which we hope to help them do by making suggestions about things they need to change for everyone's (large farm, small farm and individuals) benefit.

Bottom line we are in existance for one purpose to promote ownership of the "American Miniature Horse".

If anyone has particular needs or questions do not hesitate to contact me.

John Cherry

President IAMHA

I must say that I have found this discussion very interesting and have spent probably way to much time reading the postings, the files sent to me today and the IAMHA web page.

In some of the postings it seems people think that some group has come along independent of the AMHA. It has always been my understanding that the AMHA is it's membership. I believe that all of the IAMHA BOD members are members in good standing of the AMHA.

While searching through the IAMHA web page I have found pages on the Founding Farms and it's Board of Directors. It seems that the Founding farms are nine farms including 17 members. All 17 founding members hold positions on the BOD.

When I look through the AMHA web pages I see that three of the 17 members are the three AMHA Directors from the AMHA District 06 (Texas).

Looking further I also see that these members serve on the following AMHA 2006 Committees:

Amateur/Special Needs, AOTE, Computer/Internet, Futurity, International, Long Range, Marketing, Show Rules and World Show.

I also note that all of it's members are from the state of Texas.

I will continue to read and try to understand but in the mean time the verdict is still out for me.

Interesting.

Change is needed (IMHO) in both registries. There seems to be alot of memberhsip dissatisfaction and grumblings on this Forum, on the lists and in private conversations. Measuring has been a hot button for eons - asking, voting, forcing both registries to take a hard look at correcting this is necessary. The same goes for more member participation - online meetings, voting, etc.

If any group of people want to formalize themselves into an Alliance or whatever for business promotion and profit - I'm not going to stop them, in fact I would say go to it! This is America after all. It doesn't necessarily bother me that they serve on various committees, etc., with AMHA either as most of them do have a vested interest in the success of AMHA and our industry as a whole. They have obviously been working (voluteering their time!) to try and improve things with AMHA. Apparently they've seen the need for change and if they can achieve it in a postive way great. If this group is purely to undermine AMHA or AMHR that is different.

I do agree with what John shared earlier - getting changes made in either registry (rules, measuring, etc.) is a Herculean event. It would be nice if so many of the complaints often registered here could be addressed and actually happen.

I do have definite concerns and reservations though as to the shows. Regardless of the intent, when it comes to the average person showing - if you can go to an AMHA or AMHR show or go to a show with $$ & prizes, many will chose that show - that will undermine show attendance. It would be nice if the prizes could be used/provided at the A or R shows instead of being competitive.

I guess it's a wait and see for now.

It is interesting that you think this is International.

Last time I looked I did not live in America.

Never heard a WORD about it.

Not important enough, I guess.

Interesting that you think only AMHA and AMHR horses are "Miniature Horses"

Last time I looked most people in Europe, Australia and New Zealand all had their own breeding programmes, which may or may not be founded on American horses, but are not American, per se.

So, another elitist, money making venture???

And, for the record, there is already a scheme in situ for providing passports for imported horses.

Reading through what went on here since I was reading last night, I still do not see what there is to be upset about. I'm excited about new chances to show, minis being promoted to owners of other breeds, seminars to attend, etc.!

As to if it's for profit or not, as a business owner who provides services to clients, that just "hits" me wrong that people are concerned if someone else might make some money out of this organization! I hope they do make money. I don't expect charity. If someone offers services that others benefit from, then there should be a profit. There is nothing wrong with making a profit because you brought something useful to the public.

If AMHA had more of a business mindset... well, you can take that thought as far as you want.

Mr Cherry,

Could you please tell me how this program would benefit the small farms? How do you plan on making these shows more equal and fair to these small farms? I also want to hear where this organization wishes to be in ten years.

I say kudos to any one person or people trying something new. It takes a lot of guts to start something knowing there would be some nay sayers. Good luck on your endeavors!

Fran

[...]
If AMHA had more of a business mindset... well, you can take that thought as far as you want.
It is this kind of comment that I see keep popping up in this thread that bothers me.

These people are the AMHA. As I said above, three are currently AMHA Directors. All but three of the Founding Members/BOD are currently serving on AMHA Committees. The remaining three I don't currently see serving as an AMHA Director or Committee member are very active in what goes on in the AMHA. These are hard working AMHA members. So, if you think that these people have a business mindset then the AMHA does have working members with a business mindset.

(PS: my numbers may not be accurate but I am guessing that they are close enough for government work and to try to get my point across.)

I am still waiting to hear how this will benefit "international" members.

Seeing as how I do not actually know any International Members who have received any information.

Jane, this is about the only information that has been distributed other than an email that went to select people from the iamha. I was not on the original distribution list, but only received it thanks to an AMHA committee chairperson passing it on.

So non USA countries were not slighted, we all were unless we were part of that select group of recipients.

Latest posts

Back