I am looking for more tips on dealing with

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
I've got a horse that has had flare ups off and on in the year or so that we have had him and over the weekend the worst flare up ever. My vet has been involved and through a process of elimination and trying different treatments has diagnosed him as being allergic to bugs and/or flies. Sometimes he is OK but then when it flares up he gets bumps all over his body and then gets all itchy and will rub on things making it all worse. This weekend it just went out of control and all over he had bumps. When he starts rubbing and scratching it looks more like a rash or some sort of fungus so we tried all sorts of topical treatments for those as well.

She said the only thing we could really do is put him on steroids and that would be a temporary fix but he would have to be on them until the buggy season is over. We are trying to get extra weight off him right now because he is going to Nationals and she said the steroids would make it hard for him to get the weight off. Right now we are at the height of the icky hot humid buggy weather and she said for now except when I am working him or exercising him I should keep him in his stall with a fly sheet and fly hood on, a box fan blowing on him 24/7, spray the barn and the horse and I should look into getting the door screens or barn curtains so that I can leave the barn open for the breeze but keep most of the flies and bugs out. She doesn't feel there really is any fly spray on the market to use that really truly would work well enough to protect him.

SO......I am doing everything the vet says, I am just looking for any additional "natural" things I can do to help him out. I feel like there must be something more I can do, plus I have to order the fly sheet and hood today and I won't get those for severals days.

JUST WANTED TO EDIT TO ADD.....we've looked at his feed too, as a culprit and he currently gets a little beet pulp, Buckey Gro N Win, ground flax, BOSS and limited hay. Vet says what he is getting is fine and the flax should help with the allergies.

Last edited by a moderator:
An animal and/or human can only handle so much steriod.

Have you tried giving him some straight Benedryl? Just the plain allergy pills?

MA

Mary, my friend in Florida had so much trouble with a albino (yes Carol I know there is really no real abino horses
biggrin.gif
) type horse that this horse was allergic to outdoors. He stayed inside a screened in barn, (but that does take away some oxygen by the way), ceiling fans, you name it, and lived on a multitude of shots and meds in his feed. He was one big huge scabby sore from head to toe. After two years of this, she sent him on up here on the mountain to live with me. I said I'd do what I could. In a little over a month's time, he was completely healed on no meds whatsoever. After he healed up, we decided it best for him not to return to Florida so I saddle broke him and was able to sell him for her to someone in New Hampshire that has never had this trouble with him at all. We attributed it to him being "allergic to Florida."
biggrin.gif
I think sometimes enviorment has something to do with it.

Next I want to tell you that I did have some horses that had horrible bouts in the heat with their skin. Mostly fungus based. I can tell you that in the past I have used dexemethozone and azium in their grain and that has helped a lot too. It won't hurt just to get him through this bad season.

For feed, just plain oats and grass hay and no bling blings. None. Keep it all very simple and uncomplicated.

As far as flies, try Avon Skin So Soft. It does work pretty good for horses with sensitive skin.

To wash this horse, bath him in as many AVEENO products as you can get. They are usually used for kids with chicken pox.

Massengil douche works wonders too. Get the yellow one.
yes.gif

For another thing, when you are done working with this horse, it is important that you keep the sweat off of him. Water needs some help to cut the sweat. I can't say enough good things about ABSORBINE REFERSHERMINT. You put some in a bucket and sponge this stuff on after a work out.
aktion033.gif

Here's Sonny and what he wears daily. Talk about sensitive skin. You think you got troubles! This big guy is a real summer weenie.

Sonnywhitecooler.jpg

Sonnyredcooler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a QH Gelding that would break out with bumps if I used any kind of fly spray other than a "water based" kind. Maybe try using a water based fly spray. It very well could be from an allergy of some kind too though. Good luck!

Oh, the poor sweetie. I really hate steroids. I like the natural easy keep it simple answers. Benedryl Fast Melts for Children are WONDERFUL! They work fast and can be administered as needed and are so very safe.

Back