I AM IN SHOCK

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdazzled

Reaction score
I just read where a husband and wife are released on a 50,000 bond for leaving 34 patients in a nursing home to drown in New Orleans.. my mind just can't not comprehend that could possibly happen. I am hoping that there is more to this, and its not true.

But if it is true.. I feel for those two when they meet there maker.

It just broke my heart when I read that story. No one is that selfish and uncaring.

I just saw it on TV too. What a horrible thing for those people to have done. If man doesn't punish them, I'm certain God will. The prosecuting attorney said if convicted they could get 5 years per count. That's 170 years for each of them. Too bad they won't live long enough to serve all of it.

All of the details are not out. There were apparently fifty two patients in the nursing home just before the flood. This alone suggests there is more of the story to come out. Yes, the owners each placed a fifty thousand dollar bond to be released. They surrendered to the police so it was not a matter of them having to bee searched for. I am curious to see their justification beyond they feared for the health and that moving them would have been detrimental ( I guess the same as not moving them).

I must reply to this. Slap me every one for doing this. I have worked in nursing homes and the rule is you can not leave your residents no matter what.

I can only imagine the desperation of all involved. This storm was so fierce and people new it was coming. They should have been given help to move these residents out of harms way. Many residents in a nursing home are not mobile.

When I heard about this story my immediate reaction is that may not be fair to these people. I don't know about any of you but if put in the desperation of this storm were would your priority lye. I would be thinking of my kids and family and how I was going to get them to safety. If I could take a resident with me in any way I would, but to make a choice to abandon your own family to stay behind to hope and pray that you made it through the storm with the residents would be hard, extremely hard.

I place blame on the emergency task force in this area. They should have had evacuation plans for the nursing homes, hospitals so that people didn't have to make choices to risk their lives and their own families to save others.

Such a very sad situation.

I truly feel for all the people that were put into those desperate situations were they had to make decisions to let others die to save themselves and their families.

Traci

I heard those 2 people were ASKED if they wanted any help to remove the Patients and they Refused the Help...And again don't blame the emergency task force.,,,These people are up on involuntary manslaughter.... I hope they fry~!!

2 people taking care of 34 patients? Do they own this place? If they have medical backgrounds they will lose their lisence but that isn't enough.

Fran

Its my understanding they had a full staff. One nurse was inteviewed on Fox news. It was her day off and she evacuated to Mississisppi with her family. As I said there are facts that were not presented. I do not agree with letting these old folks suffer the fate they did but i will not form opinions on what was presented in a portion of the facts already presented.

OhHorsePee said:
2 people taking care of 34 patients? Do they own this place? If they have medical backgrounds they will lose their lisence but that isn't enough. Fran

466989[/snapback]

Yes they were the owners Mable and Salvador Mangano, the owners of St. Rita's nursing home outside New Orleans

The pathetic thing in this case was that they were asked if they wanted to move them and they did not. They were warned repeatedly that this storm was coming. In effect, their inaction resulted in the deaths of these people.â€

They had a duty and a standard of care to people who could not care for themselves. If you or I decided we are going to stay, we do it of our own free will. ...

The people at the nursing home don’t have that choice. Thirty-four people drowned in a nursing home when it should have been evacuated. I cannot say it any plainer than that.

You are right the owners did refuse help to evac. They themselves did not stay but left these poor defenseless people. Authority had so much going on and was not notified of this until after the storm. The personally think the sick and elderly should be first to safety They should have been moved days before.

Joyce of Sunseri Farms

shminifancier said:
I heard those 2 people were ASKED if they wanted any help to remove the Patients  and they Refused the Help...And again don't blame the emergency task force.,,,These people are up on involuntary manslaughter.... I hope they fry~!!
466856[/snapback]

Back