I am ECSTATIC to announce...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! I thought so Mona! So I guess that means that Katie is a Dun also...just greyed out so we cant see her markings.

Do they have a test for Dun?

I never realized how hard it is to take decent pictures of a foal!!! They are not very good but hopefully in a day or two Katie will have settled down enough to let baby explore and I will get some better ones.
What does everyone think about her color?

Boy is it what!!!! i had about 30 blah ones for every one decent one lol

Her colour is funky!!! she almost looks like she has some kind of shading on her face to??

Very cute
default_wub.png
look forward to watching her grow and seeing you both at some shows one day!
default_smile.png

Yay! I thought so Mona! So I guess that means that Katie is a Dun also...just greyed out so we cant see her markings.
Do they have a test for Dun?
Well, it could be from the dam, but you also mentioned the paternal grandsire having a dorsal. Are you 100% certain the the filly's sire is not a red dun as well? Yes, there is testing available for both dun and grey now.
default_yes.gif

Yep 100% sure...Sire has no Dun markings whatsoever.

Here is her family tree lol

Dam = Grey (Black based, used to have dorsal and dark head) Her Dam = Grey - Her Sire = Bay. But her Grandsire (Dams Sire) was Grullo

Sire = Chestnut no Dun - His Dam = Chestnut with dorsal but no barring - His Sire = Buckskin no Dun

SO my thinking is, that because daddy has NO Dun markings at all. Dams mother must have also been dun but greyed out. I dont have any baby photos of either my mare or her mother so I dont know.

I might test both Katie and baby.

UGH this color stuff is confusing!!!!

BTW we have named the baby Ruby, yet to think of a registered name.

Edited to add, yes Chanel she does have shading on her face, I think that is a Dun trait

Last edited by a moderator:
Shes very cute Helen... And such a funky colour... Id bet its come all the way down from Yankee. Was Katies dam Delta Dawn? I don't have my stud book down at my house. I would guess that your greyed dark coloured horses are Grullo. Back many moons ago I had a yankee gelding who was grullo pinto, yankee seemed to produce alot his same base colour and some funky variants.

Victoria, Katie is out of Yankees Deep Desire, she is grey too and dont know what color she was originally but Im 99% sure it was dark. Yep, I reckon it comes all the way down from Yankee and took this little girl to figure it out!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back