I am confused

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanna

Reaction score
Still learning the pinto genetics I have a solid black mare with a white spot on her back left heal a star and partial blue eyes she produces a lot of wide blazes with blue eyes...and have been told those get go on to produce loud overos even when bred to solid mares......well I had this mare tested for lwo and it came back negative so why is she producing this on her foals? Is it just a subtle pinto gene? Woudl love to have this explained to me.
wacko.gif

[SIZE=14pt]She could very possibly be a minimal overo but NOT frame. LWO dosnt come with belly splash only the frame character. She most likely will not produce frames but can still produce pintos.[/SIZE]

Lyn

splash? They dont have a test for that do they?

So is there any way to really tell she is a splash or anything other than a black horse with a dot and blue eyes
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Deanna said:
So is there any way to really tell she is a splash or anything other than a black horse with a dot  and blue eyes 
biggrin.gif

423816[/snapback]

Well, you could have her tested for Tobiano, but blue eyes are not a characteristic of Tobiano (not saying they can't have them, just not a common characteristic). If she tests negative for LWO and Tobiano, that would only leave Splash and Sabino and the blue eye is more likely in Splash than Sabino.

I understand they are currently working on a test for Sabino but it is not perfected yet.

Thanks will look into that the people who ran my tests only offered lwo and tobanio so I did not knwo if others tested for that. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back