i am at my wits end

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad you found a home for him and I know from reading your posts, you really suffered. The person who sold him to you certainly misled you. But if you do like donkeys, you might want to try a jenny in the future. Donkeys are incredible animals and add an entirely different dimension from the horses. Mine follow me around the farm and are always looking for love. Here's their cute little faces.

2012feb15thdonks 012-1.JPG

There are always donkeys in rescue looking for homes and there are wonderful breeders out there who will help you find the right match. Just so sorry that you went through such a trauma.

This past year I got a mini donkey to run with my four mini horses. He was young at the time....maybe 9 months old. As soon as the weather cooled off and fly season was over I had him gelded, although at the time he was showing no "manly" behavior. He has turned out to be the sweetest little guy ever. When I let all the boys out to graze, he stays behind because he wants some mommy love. He'll follow me around like a puppy, although he absolutely refused to be led. (typical donkey) I'm thrilled with him so don't judge all donkeys by the one you had. If you want another one, bet one who is young. Go see him at his home. Watch how he interacts with whatever is in the pasture with him. And geld him right away. All our animals here (with the exception of the chickens) have been fixed. And that includes my hubby!!! Testosterone is a horrible thing. LOL

I'm glad you were able to find a willing home for him. I think you have saved yourself a heap of heartbreak.

Smart move.
default_aktion033.gif

Shoot him. There is no need for dangerous animals like that. Gelding will not change his attitude, that's not an unusual donkey trait, just usually not this extreme! Donkies are quite commonly used as guard animals, attacking and killing predators. Yours seems to have taken that aggression way too far. There are plenty of good donkies around, especially jacks. Return him to the previous owner, or bury him and find another.

Ah, I see you gave him away. Personally I owuldn't have passed the problem onto someone else, even someone who is experienced. There are too many GOOD animals, even jacks, out there to waste time on a dangerous one like this. I've owned several full sized breeding jacks and they were very aggressive sexually, but had enough manners to be polite and respectful. Just persistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The place that I board my minis raises mini donkeys. They have a 34 (?) year old gelding that they gelded late in life that runs the barn area. They have a pen of Jenny's, a pen of mini mares, a few big horses and their Jacks are in with a few Big horses. I have never seen any problems. I had a few options when I moved my horses. I chose the donkey farm because I heard that donkeys would protect the other animals. My minis are in their own pen but there are no problems with the donkeys hurting anyone. Sorry you had such a big problem with your jack.

Getting ready to introduce my gelded donkeys back to the barn..and the new horses. Slowly...Very slowly..

The boys have been together since birth..and with Darlene, our old Angus heifer since they were 8 months old. I know they'll like the companionship..but I am still worried. They are calm, friendly..and can lead with a shoestring. Only because they want to, however, haha.Foot trimming is another matter.

Jennys can also be owley..might try a young gelding for all around getting along.

Sorry to hear about your lose. Glad you found a home for him.

I raised a Jack from 6 months old up until I sold him at 6 years of age.

Now it was the only animal I had and he was the sweetest mini donk I have ever owned, and would trust me so much i not only could bring him in the house at times, but also hauled him in the backseat of my car. Just like the mini mare pictured in the avatar.~! I hauled her once for over 350 miles t amino show, and came back with 6 ribbons. It was neat to pull into a show and have the horse in the car. LOL

And just before I sold him I had him gelded and the guy that I sold him too also brings him in the house~! I may get another one this spring. Have no other animals so I can spend plenty of time with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these responses are giving jacks a bad name. I've had mini donks for 25 years and always have company for my boys. Some live with each other some live with big horses. I would never put an older one in with livestock unless he had the temperment for it. And some do. I think people should EDUCATE themselves first before going into any new venture and use COMMON sense. Introduce new animals gradually!!

Most of these responses are giving jacks a bad name. I've had mini donks for 25 years and always have company for my boys. Some live with each other some live with big horses. I would never put an older one in with livestock unless he had the temperment for it. And some do. I think people should EDUCATE themselves first before going into any new venture and use COMMON sense. Introduce new animals gradually!!
Good point. I have a friend with mini horses and mini donks, as far as breeding goes its strictly donks or minis, no mules or hinnies. She winters the jack and the stallion together and they get along just fine, and in the summer each are turned out with their respective herds and are quiet respectful (at least from what I've seen and heard).

This wasn't mentioned but with behavior that extreme...could he have been a cryptorchid? Did anyone check? could you even check if he was that bad? A few years back, We were given a weanling jack (who we had full intentions of gelding) he was a sweet boy, did his job of guarding the goats very well but he never 'developed' He was always seperated him from our mares (didn't want any possibility of mules on our good broodmares!) and when we realized he just wasn't going to drop we found a new home for him to protect cattle without any horses or other donkeys around (I wasn't wanting to spend the $600+ on a free donkey to have him gelded surgically when his only purpose was livestock protection.)

Having had a crypt horse colt, I do know that it can completely change their behavior, they're in pain. They get aggressive, they do things that normal studs will do but they do it amped up x10! My sweet imprinted well mannered foal, who is now my sweet easy to handle 9 yr old gelding, was becoming an absolute terror during the 3 months it took me to find the right vet. We usually geld as soon as they are developed as yearlings and start to get worked up over the ladies, I brought him to the vet and oops...discovered he only had one. I immediately started researching a vet, and he slowly got worse. By the time I hauled him to the vet, I was embarrassed to unload him he was so uncontrollable. The ladies at the vet office said he wasn't the worse they had seen, in fact they said he was great for them and they could tell I had put the training into him (he stayed at vets for 2 weeks because we had damage from a hurricane and no roof on my barn) but having never experienced this before and always having well mannered horses I was appalled by his behavior. My horses just don't charge and bite and act goofy like that. They don't try to pull my arm out of my socket coming out of the trailer, and they definitely don't turn and try to kick the vet tech. I don't allow things like that but there was no stopping him til after the surgery! He was still a little rough for a few weeks after I brought him home but it was different, his manner was different, he didn't have a sour face and I think most of that was because he was confined so much with only hand walking and then eventually very limited turnout so that he would heal. He was pure energy bursting at the seams. When he finally was cleared for turnout I almost had a heart attack when he went to performing aerial acts of supernatural proportions!

By the time he worked all that energy out, he was back to being my sweet boy. Now don't get me wrong, he's still a forceful personality, and in the pasture he is the boss, even over the donkey, but I'd have hated to see what he'd have been like as a 2 yr old cryptorchid colt!

Latest posts

Back