Hyperbike

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara Kirby

Reaction score
Does anyone have a hyperbike? If so how do you like it? Does it put weight on the pony's back? It looks a bit top heavy. Any problems with it turning over? FYI, my little guy is 37".

Barbara Kirby said:
Does anyone have a hyperbike? If so how do you like it?
I do! Do a search on here for "Hyperbike" and you'll find plenty of threads from satisfied customers and a few pictures. I love mine.

Barbara Kirby said:
Does it put weight on the pony's back? It looks a bit top heavy.
No more weight than any other cart, and it's much lighter to pull. There is a slider under the seat you can use to adjust the balance. The vehicle is actually very wide and low but I suppose you could make it top-heavy by putting the wheel callouts up way too high for the horse.

Barbara Kirby said:
Any problems with it turning over?
Oh Lord no!! The Hyperbike is the most stable vehicle I've ever heard of or driven. I take it places I would never DARE take my Frontier or Bellcrown and at speeds that would make any sensible driver blanch.
default_laugh.png
The Hyperbike is built for stability; that's its specialty. I was the first to use it for marathon at combined driving events and still compete with it regularly. Bob, the manufacturer, is great.

Leia

I have one for my little guy Billy, who is only about 30 inches. I don't compete, I just have it to keep my rolly polly boy in shape. He has taken to the Hyperbike quite well. In fact he is much more forward and happy in it than the EZ entry cart I used to start him. I have even ventured around our property which is quite hilly. It never felt tippy or scary. I am hoping to get out on the trail this summer. We have a great park with about 10 miles of trails that are flat. I love that I can load the hyperbike all by myself it is so light. It it even fits in the tack room of my 2 horse trailer.

IMG_3012-1.jpg

I too have a hyperbike for my 30 inch mini and absolutely love it and I think my mini does too
default_aktion033.gif
With the hyperbike my guy is able to climb bigger hills and gets a lot less tired than when he pulled the EZ entry cart.

I just got one last fall and have not gotten a lot of driving time in, but I LOVE it! It is so much fun, you think "turn" and the horse turns! I too use it on my 30" mare, and she really loves it. As for it being top heavy, definitely not. My other cart is an easy entry, and it is amazing how much easier it is for my girl to bring her front end up with the Hyperbike, she is much, much happier. I plan to use it for CDE marathon some day, and love it for everyday work too. I hardly use my easy entry at all anymore.

Here's a couple pics from the day I got it. Still had a little tweaking to do...

P1010224-1-2-2.jpg

P1010229-1.jpg

LOL it looks funny
default_laugh.png
But pretty darn comfy!

I don't have one, but right now in my life I mainly show in AMHR breed shows. Later in years, I plan to get a hyper bike, a Jerald, a training cart, and another, smaller Graber...

Right now I have a larger training cart, and my show cart.. I'll be buying a smaller training/local show cart in May.

Have fun shopping!
default_saludando.gif

Does anybody with a hyper bike use it from the start, right after line driving? Or should you use a breaking cart first. I have heard both sides from the internet but wondered what experienced miniature horse driving enthusiasts think.

How do you use it in CDE Marathons? I thought that you have to have a navigator with you at all times. I don't see anywhere for a Navigator to fit.

Looks like alot of fun. I might get one for myself.

I watched a CDE event with 5 minis and they didn't have a navigator for the minis in the marathon. It was a training event, but I don't think the minis require one.

"Does anybody with a hyper bike use it from the start, right after line driving? Or should you use a breaking cart first. I have heard both sides from the internet but wondered what experienced miniature horse driving enthusiasts think."

Because it is not as quick and easy to get in and out of a hyper bike I would not use one for training. I think it could easily get you hurt if you run into trouble. Not all Minis are quiet and docile at all times and the means of getting in and out of a hyperbike is dangerous at the best of times, even with a well trained horse.

"How do you use it in CDE Marathons? I thought that you have to have a navigator with you at all times. I don't see anywhere for a Navigator to fit. "

If you are driving in a VSE division you are not required to use a navigator. If there is no VSE division offered and you have to, as I do here, drive in the Single Pony division, then you are required to use a navigator.

Thanks Milo Mini's, that is just the info I was looking for.

Just to clarify...you do not need a navigator for CDE if driving a SINGLE VSE. VSE multiple hitches DO require a navigator -- with fullsized horses, a navigator/groom is required for each pair of horses...so, one if driving a pair, two if driving a four-up, etc.-but with VSEs, one will do for a pair, a tandem, a four-up, or a unicorn( per 2008 ADS Rulebook).

A horse is considered a VSE in ADS if it is UNDER 99 CM, measured at the top of the withers, in height. This converts to just UNDER 39",if memory serves. It is true that if there is no separate division for VSEs, and a VSE is then required to be grouped in with the Small Pony division, they WOULD be required to have a navigator,per the rules for the Small Pony division.

An FYI--I have seen several ads where someone advertises a "VSE", and says it would be great for CDE(?!), BUT, also states that it is 40 or 41" tall; such an animal would NOT qualify for ADS entry as a VSE....so potential buyer, beware.

Margo

shorthorsemom said:
Does anybody with a hyper bike use it from the start, right after line driving? Or should you use a breaking cart first. I have heard both sides from the internet but wondered what experienced miniature horse driving enthusiasts think.
I might use one for the very first "intro to the cart" stage, the one where you have them simply dragging a shaft substitute around to get used to the pressure, but no, I would not use one for breaking for the same reason MiLo states. It's not hard to get into once you're used to it, but it DOES absolutely require that the horse stand quietly and emergency dismounts are pretty much impossible. The manufacturer is very clear that this is not a breaking cart and should not be used for that purpose.

Leia

I hadn't heard of the Hyperbike before, but it looks like an excellent cart and a lot of fun. I will have to go looking for some more information about it.
default_biggrin.png

I do want to caution anyone looking at these carts for purchase to consider carefully if their horse is well enough trained to stand stock still while mounting and dismounting. Also consider that occasionally stuff happens, such as bee stings, wind blown garbage, etc and your horse could at the moment of dismounting or mounting bolt forward on you which with this type of cart can be disastrous! Not saying don't buy but please do take it into consideration.

Another question for the experienced drivers... What would you recommend for a starter cart? We live on a farm so it would need to be something I could use in fields, most of what I looked at so far has bicycle tires such as the EE carts. I did look at the minicrown from driving essentials but it was a bit pricy for starting out and my guys are B sized.

thanks!

I would suggest getting a wooden easy entry with wooden wheels. Graber makes a nice wooden easy entry and there are many Amish or Mennonite cart makers. They work well for training as well as country driving and you can even show in them at local level shows.

For a versatile cart I highly recommend the ones that Silver Penney Farm sells. Here are some photos: http://www.ccfdriving.atfreeweb.com/Customer%20Pictures.htm Her web site is a little messed up right now, but if you give her a call I am sure she will help you out with anything. I used the "show/pleasure" cart when I first started driving. Her wooden easy entry carts look nice too.

Indeed, the HyperBike is not for green horses or drivers. We routinely turn down sales for this reason and others as well.

I also feel that it is important to not confuse safety issues with training issues. While it is important to try to plan for the hypothetical it is also important to not let the hypothetical rule reality. Personal experience does much to keep balance between the two.

Its so cool to see pics and hookups and horses and here how everybody is doing. The sun is shining and the "bug" is biting....

Warmest Aloha to all,

Bb

I also feel that it is important to not confuse safety issues with training issues. While it is important to try to plan for the hypothetical it is also important to not let the hypothetical rule reality. Personal experience does much to keep balance between the two.
Fantastic way of putting it. The hypothetical can cause unnecessary fear issues and leave us all trapped in our homes if we allow.

Latest posts

Back